Question US iPhone 4G in UK?

mambo1888

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi folks

Im looking at getting an iPhone 6 plus for myself and an iPhone 6 for the missus. Am I right in thinking that the US iPhone 6 and 6 plus will be compatible with 4G networks here in the UK? I was going to buy of the classifieds but I will be in the US in a couple of months and may try and buy them direct from Apple when im out there.

Another question if I buy the phones in the states will I be able to insure them here?

Your input is, as always, very much appreciated :)

Yes, the 4G will be seen in the UK if you're in a 4G area. I have a 4G iPad Air and see/use the 4G here in Scotland using a Three network PAYG Sim.
Check with the US Apple stores but I believe there may be a problem with a US-bought iPhone warranty not being covered in the UK by Apple.

Yes, the 4G will be seen in the UK if you're in a 4G area. I have a 4G iPad Air and see/use the 4G here in Scotland using a Three network PAYG Sim.
Check with the US Apple stores but I believe there may be a problem with a US-bought iPhone warranty not being covered in the UK by Apple.

Nice one JayCee, thats good to hear about the 4G not so much the warranty I thought apple offered worldwide warranty, il need to look into that if thats the case might not be an option :(

Ive just been on chat with apple about a separate issue and just asked them if the iPhone 6 warranty on a handset bought in the US would be covered in the UK, she confirmed that I will be....

• Yes, all iPhone 6 models bought in the US can be serviced and supported in the UK and Europe.

JennThe only thing to be careful about is that the phone is unlocked, and not locked to a US based carrier. Then, you would need to work with that US carrier to have the phone unlocked before it can be used.

You can now buy simfree from the apple shop in the states.
Warranty is worldwide.
4G will work as long as coverage is available.
Only thing you will need to buy or if you already have is a 3 pin plug as USA use 2 pin

Warranty is worldwide.
Only thing you will need to buy or if you already have is a 3 pin plug as USA use 2 pin

Cheers mate, do you know if any insurance companies insure mobiles bought from the states?

Cheers mate, do you know if any insurance companies insure mobiles bought from the states?

I wouldn't think that would matter to them.
Some home insurance contents policies cover mobile phones automatically or for an additional premium.

personally thinking i dont think it should be a issue if its simfree. id ask about apple care instead

Cheers, I use my bank account for mobile insurance I will phone and ask them to be sure. The problem with applecare is that I am bad for losing my phone and that wouldn't be covered. Cheers for all your input.

Warranty is worldwide.

I'm not at all sure you are right about the warranty. I had heard that iPhone doesn't come with an international warranty, did a quick search on apple.com and got this:

"IMPORTANT RESTRICTION FOR iPHONE AND iPAD SERVICE.
Apple may restrict warranty service for iPhone and iPad to the country where Apple or its Authorized Distributors originally sold the device."

Yes, I think you're right.
I was in Florida last year and bought 2 iPhone 5S's for my daughters in the Apple store as they'd knocked $100 off due to the release of the 6/6+ and I remember the sales guy telling me that the warranty was no longer International...I went ahead and bought them anyway on the strength of their reputation for reliability and my experience of my own Apple gear.

I'm not at all sure you are right about the warranty. I had heard that iPhone doesn't come with an international warranty, did a quick search on apple.com and got this:

"IMPORTANT RESTRICTION FOR iPHONE AND iPAD SERVICE.
Apple may restrict warranty service for iPhone and iPad to the country where Apple or its Authorized Distributors originally sold the device."
I thought I had read that somewhere, but couldnt remember where. I do have the chat transcript saved though, where I am told by the rep that the warranty will be worldwide so I could use that if needed.

My own thinking it's that it's a potential false economy buying in the States for use here. Given the warranty situation (and I'd take what's written in black and white on the Apple site as opposed to what a, possibly, misinformed call centre bod told you) and the fact that they use different bands (should be OK on 4G but you could have issues on 3G dependent on your network, again, potentially), I'd just pay the extra here for a hassle free purchase.

I say that as someone who, until yesterday, would have been very happy to take the risk with a compatible phone from abroad. That is, until my well cared for iPhone 6 started playing silly beggars with the mute switch; I've made an appointment at a Genius Bar for next week and fully expect to walk out with a new replacement. Don't want the headaches arguing the toss whether my phone is covered or not.

All IMO, of course. :)

The other thing with buying in the States is to make sure you factor in the local sales tax....depending on which state you are in the savings are potentially not that great.

Every Apple product I own was bought in Orlando over the last 10 yrs and the sales tax is 6.5%.. obviously you need to factor in the exchange rate but I've always saved a packet buying over there.

I worked out using 10% sales tax when I was pricing on the apple store and to be fair they were still a good bit cheaper than buying here. I have always found apple customer care to be fantastic (except for one time where they really disappointed me with a damaged iphone 5c) but in general they have been excellent. I think the fact that I asked someone on the live chat who went away to check and came back and confirmed that the phone would be under warranty and serviceable in europe and the uk would make me confident in getting any potential issues resolved.

Thanks again for all your input:)

I have had not problem with warranty's with apple, had a AUS Iphone 4, that they serviced in the UK and US without any questions, my 6+is a US one, again no questions asked.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom