• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

US iPad GPS in UK

I am going to New York in October and would like to buy an iPad out there (exchange rate permitting). I am going to be learning to drive in 6 months so would like to use it as a Sat Nav but I understand the WiFi model doesn't have GPS built in. Common sense would tell me that the US and the UK iPad are the same but just for my reassurance could someone please check their US 3g iPad (preferably without a SIM in it) and see whether the GPS works?

Thanks!

That's what I thought but I became skeptical when I saw a post on another forum where the person had bought a US iPad and brought it back to the UK and the GPS wasn't working here but it had been working in the US.

Flatcoat

Established Member
I maybe wrong on this but a disadvantage of a US 3G iPad is that the 3G is effectively tied to a network whereas a UK sourced one is effectively unlocked.

bobbytoad

Established Member
Does the gps chip use the 3G internet connection to speed up the satelite lock on?
though this shouldnt be an essential factor in it working - surely?

Stiggy

Distinguished Member
I maybe wrong on this but a disadvantage of a US 3G iPad is that the 3G is effectively tied to a network whereas a UK sourced one is effectively unlocked.

Not true, they are all unlocked for 3G. I don't know about the GPS issue though...

Stiggy

Distinguished Member
US ones are locked to AT&T
I've spent quite a long time Googling, and I still can't get a definitive answer. Have you got a source that says that US iPads are locked to AT&T? Apple clearly said at launch that the iPad is unlocked.

graham.myers

Distinguished Member
The teardown experts at iFixIt have peeked inside 3G iPad, which carries a model number A1337. As you know, 3G iPad is basically the same device as the WiFi-only model, sans an added 3G circuitry and GPS sensor. Surprisingly, iFixIt noted, 3G iPad is unlocked and works on any cellular network, not just AT&T’s.

The only telling visual difference between 3G iPad and its WiFi counterpart is a thick black plastic window running across the top of the all-aluminum back. The sole purpose of this piece of plastic is to allow radio waves to pass through. According to iFixIt, 3G circuitry inside the device supports the same frequencies like the iPhone 3GS, including 7.2Mbps HSPA on AT&T’s 3G network:

The 3G iPad supports UMTS/HSDPA on 850, 1900, and 2100 MHz and GSM/EDGE on 850, 900, 1800, and 1900 MHz. Alas, in the US, AT&T is the only carrier that operates 3G on frequencies the iPad supports. T-Mobile should work, but only on the slower EDGE network.

Read more: http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile...s-unlocked-3g-and-more-2010053/#ixzz0r3JsKDy2

found this while sniffing around. dont what frequencies we use in Europe compared to the A&T one in the US

[email protected]

Established Member
I bought a US one from New York which is unlocked and the GPS works pefectly. I'm currently using a cut down 3 PAYG sim card in it. The only difference I can find between the US and UK ones is the power adapter, but the US ones are easily converted to a UK plug via a travel adapter or a standard "figure 8" lead as used on PS2s, DVD players, etc.

I bought a US one from New York which is unlocked and the GPS works pefectly. I'm currently using a cut down 3 PAYG sim card in it. The only difference I can find between the US and UK ones is the power adapter, but the US ones are easily converted to a UK plug via a travel adapter or a standard "figure 8" lead as used on PS2s, DVD players, etc.

Thank you very much!

McPhee

Prominent Member
found this while sniffing around. dont what frequencies we use in Europe compared to the A&T one in the US

The UK (and most networks in Europe) operate on 900 and 1800 MHz, same as T-Mobile USA.

Do any owners of US 3G iPads get 3G on a UK network? The above would infer no, but I'm curious for confirmation.

Al Koholic

Established Member
I've used both a 3 sim cut down & currently a Vodafone sim cut down in my US iPad since the 7th of May & have had no probs connecting to 3G whatsoever.

My only issue was 3 blocking ipad connection (this was before they announced their support & data plans) but the sim still works in my Mi-Fi.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom