Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

US HDTV to UK

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by uwbadger, Mar 27, 2005.

Tags:
  1. uwbadger

uwbadger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am moving to the UK this summer and trying to decide if I should buy a good US HDTV because it is cheaper here and bring it over. I am considering the US Sharp Aquos 32" models without the built in HDTV tuners.
    http://www.sharpusa.com/products/TypeLanding/0,1056,s67,00.html

I presume I will end up with Sky service so will I have any trouble connecting the Sky box either directly or through a HTPC? I realize I will not have a functional over the air tuner but are there any other disadvantages I am not thinking of? Thanks

2. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +586
    Don't forget that UK electrics are 240v 50hz, not 120V 60hz. USA equipment ,unless it is dual voltage,will not work.

3. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    The set would probably work with 240>120V step-down transformer. Whether it would accept signals @ 50Hz is another matter which needs to be confirmed before purchase. SkyHD will broadcast 720p50 and 1080i50 signals over an HDCP-encrypted DVI or HDMI connection. Hope this helps.

Steve

4. uwbadger

uwbadger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It does do 240V so no transformer needed. What about not having the SCART connections? Will I still be able to hook up a DVD with some type of converter?

5. jtorry

jtorry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I can't answer your question but I have a friend moving to New York for 6 months for work. He would like to know whether he has to pay VAT and import duty of his possesions that he buys over there and brings back?

6. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    He will pay duty on the purchase price, then VAT on the total of the purchase price and duty.

7. chachi

chachi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It all seems to depend upon the inspector on the day it lands TBH ... we moved over here back in 97 and things came for some reason in two separate container loads a week apart.

The first load no charge even though there was sealed/unopened new av equipment within and was specifically listed on the manifest.

The second load saw a £486 charge for stuff which wasn't new/boxed just that they were under six months old or something ...

8. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    there is no vat or duty on your personal possessions, as long as you have possessed them for over 6 months.

9. YellowCows

YellowCows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    uwbadger,

The scart issue won't be a problem - the majority of DVD players sold in the UK (low-end to high-end) have component outputs, so you're all set there.

Even if you needed to connect another scart-only device (such as a Freeview box) - which gives its best picture via RGsB - you can get a scart to YUV converter (e.g from Lektropacks, Keene or JS Tech).

The issue you have, as Dutch has said, is whether a US set will accept HD resolutions at 50Hz, which SKY and other UK broadcasters will be using. An 'HD Ready' set purchased in the UK will be able to accept these resolutions as well as 60Hz ones used in the US.

I'd suggest you contact Sharp USA and get them to explicitly confirm this, as the manual only refers to 60Hz.

HTH,

Moory :)

10. uwbadger

uwbadger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Moory,

That clears it up. Thanks a lot.

Is there a reputable UK store I could compare the U.S. Sharp prices with. I see some stores from the UK Sharp website but I would like to know an acual price that you guys are paying for the 32" models so I could see how much I am actually saving.

Thanks again.