US Golf in HD

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Sixstring, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Sixstring

Sixstring

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Just curious to see what people think of Sky's coverage of the US golf in HD.
    Personally, I can't really tell the difference between the Sky Sports 2 feed and the HD one.
    The picture seems almost as low rent as usual, but the real issue is it isn't in widescreen, so we still have to put up with 'vertically challenged' golfers who look like they have piled on the pounds overnight!! Changing to a different aspect ratio just to get the players looking 'normal' surely shouldn't have to be an option on a HD channel should it?

The other problem is, when I watch the US golf, I like to record an hour or so before I start to watch it so I can FF through the ads - doing this you get the feeling you are watching a golf tournament as opposed to a load of ad breaks with some golf in-between!! This is now made somewhat more difficult due to the ridiculous time lag on the FF feature, so it's a real hit and miss affair.

Just as an aside, can any of the more technically minded of you please advise if the SD channels are being upscaled. Don't know if you were watching the Black Mamba programme on Five tonight, but the picture looks fantastic, dare I say almost HD;)

2. richardr

richardr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    The US golf isn't in HD.

The first golf to be in HD will be the Ryder Cup next month.

3. steve273

steve273

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    yeah basically they are suggesting by calling two channels Sky sports HD1 and HD2 that all the content on there is HD. The same goes for Sky one HD.

IMO it is fraud and branding a product totally wrongly.

I wonder what Ofcom would make of this....I really feel like I have been conned. :thumbsdow

4. Mike_CA

Mike_CA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    There seems to be some issue with contracts with live sporting events in HD from overseas. The only live HD sporting events from overseas that were broadcast in the US were the Winter Olympics and the World Cup. Wimbeldom was not shown in HD in the US and the Ryder Cup is not scheduled in HD either.

Yet, 64 games for the Little League World Series (kids baseball) and beach volleyball are currently being shown live in HD in the US. Since the networks are spending a lot of money to cover those low rated events in HD, you would think they would want to put on Wimbeldom and the Ryder Cup in HD.

Usually contracts are negotiated based on probable viewership and since the contracts were previously signed, the provider of the event is trying to get more money for the HD presentation.

I expect that when new contracts are signed, HD will become much more common from overseas providers.

5. richardr

richardr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    If the programme is in HD, the DOG at the top right changes to say 'Sky Sports HD', and HD appears in the programme description.

6. steve273

steve273

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Fair enough, but its like having the channel listed as the BBC but the schedule littered with stuff from challenge TV. Or you buy a tin of salmon yet you open it and its pilchards in tomato sauce.

I am not happy :thumbsdow

7. Sixstring

Sixstring

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree. Why waste an 'ever so rare' HD channel on content not worthy. As I said in my original post, there is barely any difference in the two feeds, so just watch it on Sky sports 2 or 3. They can then find some real HD stuff to put on - maybe womens beach volleyball:D

8. chasrc2

chasrc2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think from time to time there is a conflcit between two live sporting events and the only way they can show both is by having two channels. I can certainly remember switching between cricket and football on HD1 and HD2 recently..so although it would appear that there is less sporting HD there is in fact more (yes/no?);). I agree though that the majority is not HD but at least if there is a conflict, and maybe there will be when the Ryder Cup is shown, you have a choice:smashin: But maybe I am wrong...:(