US DVD Players

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Reiner, Oct 21, 2001.

1. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Do a search on this topic, but here the main reasons against a US player:

1. Voltage (you need an AC transformer from 230 to 100V)

2. No PAL compability, even when it's multiregion

3. No RGB/Scart

4. No warranty

5. Shipping and custom hassles

6. Most European models can do the same, at a higher price though. Better consider an Asian model, they are mostly compatible (no Scart though) with European requirements and cheaper, too.

2. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Reiner, my first player a Panny A-110 was an American player, though bought from a company in the UK. It was chipped by them, & played R2 PAL movies, no probs. Or am I missing something obvious here? Wouldn't be the first time! ;)

3. DamianD

DamianD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replys.

My current player is a 'Toshiba SD-1200', which is a US model. I bought it from 'DVD Magic' and it plays NTSC and PAL, and is multi region. For some reason it doesn't require a stepdown convertor for the mains - I don't know whether its because 'DVD Magic' changed the voltage output, or its because the machine is multi-voltage like asian based players. Anyhow, I have a step-down convertor should I need one.

The issue of having no scart sockets isn't a problem either as I have a Sanyo PLV-30 front projector which has components inputs.

Damian.

4. DamianD

DamianD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm planning on upgrading my DVD player shortly and I'm seriously considering importing a US machine as they seem to have much higher specs than comparatively priced players over here.

A couple of players I've been looking at are the 'Panasonic RP56' (which has progressive scan using the Sage/Faroudja chip for de-interlacing), and the 'Toshiba SD-3750', which also has progressive scan and can scale non-anamorphic DVD's to fill a 16:9 display (apparently this is a much better way than using the 'zoom' functions on 16:9 TV's). Both are available for about $190 (£132), and after shipping costs and customs duty I reckon I would have to add another £100. But this is still a lot cheaper than any comparative model available over here. Also, both are black which I prefer by a long shot over the silver colour all players now seem to be in the UK!

Obviously these would be region 1 players only intially, but I was wondering if anyone knows whether any company over here would be able to chip them for multiregion and of possible make them output PAL (if not progressively)?

Regards,

Damian.

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Perhaps I should have put the word "most" in all the lines!?

I have a multiregion Yamaha DVD-S700 (US Model) and it neither plays PAL (but is multiregion) nor does it like 230 Volt.
    The SD-1200 sold in Asia as well, perhaps it was an Asian and not American model or they just had a common one for those markets.
    However, I stand corrected but most US players will not be compatible.

Seems there are always exceptions to the rule but units modified in Europe don't count. ;)

6. DamianD

DamianD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My 'Toshiba SD-1200' is definately a US model as it has a Region 1 symbol on the back.