Quantcast

US Disney+ in UK/smartDNS proxy vs NordVPN

Brenster1

I've been using the US Disney+ service since mid-December using smartDNSproxy on my Apple TV. Since 'upgrading' to the new Sky Broadband Hub on the back of an offer mid-January, I had to reactivate my new IP address with smartDNSproxy, with Disney+ continuing to work until late last week. Since then I've not been able to get Disney+ back working;

I’ve checked my smartDNSproxy settings and reactivated my IP address:

I’ve also checked that I have the Atlanta DNS address set on my Apple TV and that my region is set to United States (I have a UK Sky Broadband route so cannot change DNS settings on the router itself). I've gone through all of the various DNS addresses provided, Apple TV & routermultiple power downs, app deletion and download/reinstallations.

Logging in on the Disney+ app:

IMG_9123.jpeg

I’ve had Disney+ working up until last week and I’m struggling to see anything that could have changed to stop the service working. I've been in touch with smartDNS proxy's support guys several times, but I'm getting stock replies.

Trying to log on to Disneyplus.com and I get the UK preview page, with a 'not available in your location' error when I log on with my US account.

Has anyone else had any issues with smartDNSproxy & Disney+ over the past few days?

And is anyone using NordVPN with Disney+ without incident? I'm tempted to give them a try and see if a full VPN solution works better than smartDNSproxy's pure DNS system.

Thanks.

Samv0808

Distinguished Member
Hey. The way I understand it you add the DNS server for the location closest to yourself. So if your in UK then use the UK DNS server but have all the Channel groups (especially D) set to US in the SmartDNS settings.Think you mention you have done this?

6362FE3B-D01F-4D96-94E6-00D2E7D6DFCE.png

Or you mean set the location to US on the ATV? You shouldn’t have to change the ATV location to be able to use it.

I moved away from SmartDNS as it was always not so great with Disney+ for me. I hardly ever got 4K Dolby Vision quality.

i switched to DNS4ME and it’s been rock solid with Disney plus and there is a trial

Never tried NordVPN.

Last edited:

scrowe

I just checked Disney+ and it is fine. AppleTV4K with DNS manually set to Richmond, Virginia SmartDNS server. Broadband is hyperoptic, and Netflix US been fine fir me today. I have found US DNS much more reliable than. a UK one, in terms of streaming quality. I didn’t think NordVPN had an AppleTV app. I can confirm the NordVPN app works perfectly with Disney+ on the FireTV though.

Brenster1

Hey. The way I understand it you add the DNS server for the location closest to yourself. So if your in UK then use the UK DNS server but have all the Channel groups (especially D) set to US in the SmartDNS settings.Think you mention you have done this?
Yes, I've checked and double checked that Group D is set to United States. Even changed it to something else and then back again, then refreshed my browser to make sure the setting has applied. No joy.

Or you mean set the location to US on the ATV? You shouldn’t have to change the ATV location to be able to use it.

I moved away from SmartDNS as it was always not so great with Disney+ for me. I hardly ever got 4K Dolby Vision quality.

i switched to DNS4ME and it’s been rock solid with Disney plus and there is a trial

Never tried NordVPN.
I've set up a trial DNS4ME and I've had the same bother with Apple TV there. Applying to the two DNS addresses listed under dns4me Guides - Mac OSX didn't work on my MacBook either.

However using the HOSTS file generator on the site and copy/pasting the list into my Mac's HOSTS file and I can access Disney+ via Safari on my Mac. So at least I know the DNS4ME service is working and my IP address is registered properly at their end.

Given that I can't access the HOSTS file of my AppleTV (more's the pity), can I ask which DNS4ME DNS address you're using with your working setup? I'll set my own ATV up similarly and hopefully get the same result.

I just checked Disney+ and it is fine. AppleTV4K with DNS manually set to Richmond, Virginia SmartDNS server. Broadband is hyperoptic, and Netflix US been fine fir me today. I have found US DNS much more reliable than. a UK one, in terms of streaming quality. I didn’t think NordVPN had an AppleTV app. I can confirm the NordVPN app works perfectly with Disney+ on the FireTV though.
NordVPN do not have an Apple TV app :( and my Sky Broadband hub doesn't have the facility to set it up either, so NordVPN is out of the Windows.

I've tried all of the US/Canada and Europe smartDNSproxy DNS addresses in turn, including the Atlanta one that has been rock solid for me since mid December. I'll go back and try them again as I'm going around in circles with smartDNS's support guys - they're quick to respond but the replies themselves are stock cut/paste affairs.

Top Bottom