US Ad breaks

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Toasty, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Toasty

Toasty
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,532
    Over the last year or so I've watched more US TV series than at any other time in my life, mainly due to the quality and current availabitly of these shows on Sky, Four, Five and the like.

Each show has obvious fade points where I assume they place hold for an ad break. The UK channels cut away at completely random times, ignore these fade points and can sometimes ruin a scene completely. Can someone confirm that these fade points are in sync with the US ad breaks? If so, I would like to see the UK follow suit because I'd much rather see an ad break where the creators have intentionally catered for them than the randomness we seem to get.

2. Mark Greaves

Mark Greaves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I agree! I noticed the same sort of thing in Desperate Housewives on Channel 4. An ad break would appear suddenly and also be quite "heavy handed" in it's placement. Then, no more than a few minutes into the next part of the program, there would be a much more obvious ad break point.

Last weeks episode (haven't seen this weeks yet) was particularly bad. IIRC the program didn't seem to have been on very long when the first break just blundered in at an inappropriate point :mad:

Cheers

Mark

3. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi,

Channel 4 is becoming very bad with the way it inserts ad-breaks into imported US shows! This has started with "Lost", and now affects "Desperate Housewives", "Invasion" and "ER" (amongst others)! :mad:

Some of the fades in the TV episodes are intended for ad-breaks, and some are simply just natural end-points to that particular scene. As such, there's no guarantee that even a US broadcaster will stick ads only when the fades occur.

Unfortunately, it's down to the particular person doing the editing (in the UK) for where and when they insert the ad-breaks. Although OFCOM states there shouldn't be more than 4 ad breaks per hour, and no less than (I think) 12 minutes between ad-breaks, there's little we the viewing public can do to stop these miserable so-and-so's from hacking shows up in the way that they do.

Pooch

4. pmc

pmc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    "Although OFCOM states there shouldn't be more than 4 ad breaks per hour, and no less than (I think) 12 minutes between ad-breaks, there's little we the viewing public can do to stop these miserable so-and-so's from hacking shows up in the way that they do."

They definitely don't obey the second part of that. Watched an epsiode of ER recently that had an break immediately after the 'previously on ER' bit and main titles. Couldn't have been more than 3-4 minutes. I've also edited out ad's from movies I've burned where some sections are less than that. :thumbsdow

5. Toasty

Toasty
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,532
    I find that repeated episodes sometimes have better ad placements. When they have a new episode to show, they appear to take advantage of the premier by going mad with the Ad edits!

6. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,070
    Just resentley I have seen some breaks mid scentence and as they show the program cation you can here that continuing talking.

7. ronaldo9

ronaldo9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Smallville recently did the US thing of running the titles and then going straight to ads. This happened for the first couple of weeks and then stopped, hopefully after a few complaints.

8. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    i think the uk ad's are in the same places as the usa, just they have more breaks, particularly the one just before/after the opening titles. some shows in the states have an ad break to return for 30 seconds of show and the end titles (like chat shows)

watching some usa shows they do seem to have ad breaks at weird cliff hanger moments (like lost), so i don't think it's the uk editors. i prefer to watch tv shows like that on dvd so i can just get on with it. the recap's are another pain too. seeing "previously on lost" recapped every 40 mins whilst watching the box set is enough to drive you mental

9. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,483
    its a lost art, all ad breaks used to be perfectly placed but in the last few years as we become more americanized we just get bombarded with ads that just have to be "fitted in somewhere"

i cant wait until i see the first ticker ad during a film or high profile series. then my friends... il know its time to reach for the big red button on the top of the remote.

DTV wants me to push the red button? my thoughts exactly ;)

10. Mindcrime

Mindcrime

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +168
    Unique is quite right with their reply. In a 60 minute show you get the opening credits, then a 5 minute ad break, then 10-15 minutes of show, 5 minute Ad break, 10 minutes of show, 4 minute ad break, 8 minutes of show, another ad break and then the end of the show, ad break and closing credits. Some shows, like Medium and Supernatural, for the last 20-25 minutes seem to have as many ad break minutes as show minutes. It is very frustrating and just breaks up the tension some shows can build.