1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Us 3

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by Sgt.Colon, Mar 7, 2003.

?
  1. Yes

20 vote(s)
    54.1%
  2. No

11 vote(s)
    29.7%
  3. Easy either way

6 vote(s)
    16.2%
  1. Sgt.Colon

Sgt.Colon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok guys a bit of a poll here. Just curious to find out if I'm the only one in this world who doesn't like U2.

Cast your vote...NOW.

2. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As you know Sarge, I think early U2 rocked, I think the recent stuff (after say zooropia) sucks a bit, but give me anything from Achtung Baby backwards and we're ok:smashin:

3. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sgt. you are not alone. i have never liked u2.they really never have done anything for me.
    i do give them alot of respect for what they have achieved, and don`t treat them with utter distain like i would rem.
    i can appreciate their musical contribution without liking it-so for me a definite no no.

4. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You kinky so and so :devil: :laugh:

U2 are great - I gave Zooropa a miss, but that was just one blip.

5. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't forget Pop :(

6. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Pop is one of those albums that you have to devote several years to get to know and like. When I first got it (in, what, 1997?) I liked Staring at the Sun and that was it. The rest was a huge disappointment - annoying, hard to listen to, samey...

But for some reason I never gave up on it. It's recorded fairly well and has some great basslines, so I'd listen to it occasionally on my hifi, and gradually the songs started growing on me. By about six months ago I came to the slightly strange realisation that I *loved* this album! Pretty much the whole thing is fan-bloody-tastic! Songs of great depth and life and darkness that really boil over with emotion and stir the soul.

Okay, I'm maybe indulging a bit with the hyperbole there, but I really do find it to be one of my all-time favourite albums. By contrast, Achtung Baby, though one of my favourite albums for a year or more, has been relegated to the 'that-was-fun-but-now-I'm-bored-of-it' pile...

Oh, and - ahhh, did I hear someone mention R.E.M.? Best band ever? Not likely. Biggest band in the world? I dunno, maybe, but who cares? My personal favourite band of all time? Absolutely!

The thing about R.E.M. is that you can't listen to it just for the music, and it's a waste to just listen to it for the lyrics. Though Stipe's lyrics are often poetic and beautiful and touching, they only really come alive when blended with the band's unique music.

They are, though, a band whose every album is in the same vein as U2's Pop... You really have to give them time. I'm still not convinced by Reveal, but I predict that within a few years' time I'll treasure it as I do every other R.E.M. album. It took me two years to get to like Up, and at least five years for Monster. New Adventures I liked straight off, but only about half the songs - I'm still working on the other half. :) Of course, Automatic for the People is an absolute classic and was likeable from the outset, and is still beloved to me. I'm still in the process of discovering their older (80's) albums, though Murmur and Reckoning are two of my absolute favourites.

And yes... I have to expose myself to yet more flameage than I already have and say that Monster is my absolute favourite R.E.M. album, and thus, just maybe, my favourite album of all time? (Although, I must say, it is generally a bit foolish to claim such things...) It took me more than five years to get to like, but now that I know it inside and out, I really see it for what it is - pure musical joy, and DEFINITELY not something that's going to get old or boring in a few years' time, although that was never a problem with R.E.M...

Anyway, I'd love to hear from the R.E.M. and/or Pop haters among us. :) Though, do take note that it's not likely I'll give much of a damn about what you say. :p

Cheers,

Dunc

7. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I actually like Pop. It's a bit different. The track 'Discotheque' I've always liked, but there is also a track called 'If God Will Send His Angels' which I liked when I heard it in the movie 'City of Angels'. So when I saw it at a music store at Stanstead Airport for £4, I thought it was a bit of a bargain :) There are a few other standout tracks on it as well. Not their best and doesn't hang too well together as an album, but a very decent effort.

8. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    sitting on the fence for this poll, cant deny they have produced some brilliant stuff, most of the best was in the past, but they still compete with the likes of the Chillies and most people seem to rate their newer stuff.

9. Whiting

Whiting

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I think if a band manages to pull 3 truly classic albums out of the fire then they deserve all the kudos they get.

U2 have done that (IMO) with Achtung Baby, The Joshua Tree and The Unforgettable Fire.

-- Barry

10. Whiting

Whiting

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    ((Adox--avert your ears...))

dunkyboy --
    Check out, if you haven't already done so, Life's Rich Pageant and Document, my personal favourites alongside Murmur. Absolute classics, the lot of them.

Post Green, I feel they've hit the downward slope somewhat (with 'Automatic...' being an upward blip). I could never figure out how their worst album, Out Of Time, broke them big time.

The One I Love must rank alongside Born In The USA has one of the most misunderstood songs in recent times.

11. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Because it's more commercial. It's one of my favourites, but Automatic is my absolute fave.

12. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have always loved U2... Seen them in concert twice, Zooropa in Cardiff and Pop in Seattle.

Pop is pretty much my favourite album of all time, loved it the first time I heard it, and still love it now.
    Funnily enough just as they are becoming mainstream again, I am not so keen on their most recent album... Prefer the more experimental stuff.

13. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    P.S. I posted in the Music forum - are you impressed Gambit? :smashin: :clap:

14. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whether he is or not, I bloody am :D

Now you've broken your musical hymen, Lex, don't be a stranger :D :clap:

15. Whiting

Whiting

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Don't get me wrong, there's some classics on there but I can think pass the embarrasment of 'Radio Song' with KRS-1.

'Country Feedback', however...worth the admission price alone.

HEY -- this is a U2 thread.............

16. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Country Feedback, Texarkana, Half A World Away, *COUGH* losing my religion... all gems, though I don't think Out of Time is nearly as good as most other R.E.M. stuff.

I disagree about it being more commercial, it's just... different. And it just happened to be different in such a way that it struck a chord with lots of people who'd never heard of R.E.M. before and suddenly they were huge. All of R.E.M.'s albums are very different from each other, which is one reason they take me so much time to come to grips with, and is another reason they provoke such charged emotions (e.g. "Automatic is great but Monster is the worst piece of rubbish ever").

IMHO, it's one of the reasons they'll never get old for me.

And Whiting, I have both Document and LRP, and like them both, but haven't devoted them nearly as much time as they deserve.

Dunc

17. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's not so different. Different to their other stuff, but not different to what else was around at that time. In particular, the B-52s released Cosmic Thing in 1989 (Out of Time was a 1991 release) and if you ask me, many tracks on Out of Time (especially 'Shiny Happy People') are very B-52s influenced.

18. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am, seeing as the rest of these supposedly regular posters are going so far off topic it's not true and you made a highly relevant post.:rolleyes: :D

19. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I liked their really early stuff, but nothing recent. To my mind, their songwriting had peaked by and was showcased best on 'Under A Blood Red Sky'.

20. Mr Blobby

Mr Blobby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're not alone Sgt. Colon as my wife doesn't like U2 either. She has many other faults too.

21. Sgt.Colon

Sgt.Colon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lmao.

Not half as big as that fault you built in Morecambe, Blobby. :laugh:

22. thamesider

thamesider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    U2 - Brilliant - IMO

I have all the albums.

Still listen to them regularly, thought they went a bit down hill around the popmart era, but back to their best with the lastest album.

Unforgettable fire, my Fav

23. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Ive allways liked U2, not all the their stuff, but generally like most of it.

24. Dick Donkey

Dick Donkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I Love U2. There ealier stuff was a bit to political for my liking but as they have matured and become more popy I think they are great.

25. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Another commited U2 fan here i'm afraid. Still find something new in every album each time i listen to them. Many other bands have captured my attention over the years but i still find myself going back to these guys. Thought ZOOROPA and POP were both good albums (very experimental for U2). Although during these periods it was all very much about the spectacular live shows. Anyone who was lucky enough to witness the ZOOROPA tour or the POPMART tour will know what i mean. Both quite an incredible spectacle. Favourite album 'ACHTUNG BABY'. Favourite ever song 'OUT OF CONTROL' from the debut album 'BOY'.
    With a little bit of luck we will have a new album out later this year to enjoy. Quote from BONO on the forthcoming album -'It's like punk rock made on Venus'. Sounds interesting!

P.S. I also like REM. Although there are times when i just can't forgive them for 'S***Y H***Y P****E':eek:

26. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Shiny Happy Whiny Crappy :D

27. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I really dislike U2 and REM, although I quite liked bits of Zooropa. I guess that makes me an Eno fan.

I also dislike the Chilli Peppers (get a singer for gawd's sake!) and early Manic Street Preachers.

But none of the above are quite as bad as Robbie F****** Williams (to give him his full name). Man, I can't stand him. I don't know him, yet I still want to punch his lights out. And afterwards, when he's stumbling around in the dark, knee him in the b*******.

28. Sgt.Colon

Sgt.Colon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lmao Rho. :rotfl:

I have to say the guy is a complete knob. Never liked him in Take That. Never liked Take That come to think of it. Still don't like him now he's left. But his music is great :smashin: Although not to keen on his new album.

29. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    robbie fowler?:)

30. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have to say i rather like robbie williams.
    i find him very entertaining most of the time and his "swing when your winning" album and dvd are great
    :smashin: