1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

URL for Freeview coverage map?

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by Mark Ward, Jan 9, 2003.

1. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Does anyone know of a link to a website with a Freeview coverage map?

The Freeview website only seems to have a "Type in your postcode" option.

I'm not in a coverage area but I've been assured I CAN get an adequate signal by a local aerial installer. I'm curious to see how far away from a covered area I am.

Cheers,

Mark.

2. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
    In my experience, the postcode checker is very conservative in it's estimates. They probably don't want people calling them saying "you said it would work and it doesn't, I demand compensation". I don't know of a map but if you know which transmitter you are on, a full list of DTT transmitters and power levels is here.

3. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The postcode checker told me I had no chance but a change of aerial and cable got me every channel.

Problem is, it's impossible to estimate even from a map. Your house may just happen to be in a position where the line of transmission is obscured by a building, hill or other obstruction which may not even be on the map. Your next door neighbour might get a cracking signal while you get zilch.

Best advice is to borrow a Freeview box and try it. If it doesn't work, you may have problems, and you have to decide whether to risk paying for a better aerial and coax.

Fman

4. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks for that!
    I ideally wanted to find how many miles I am away from the coverage of each I am so a map would have been ideal but I just couldn't find one anywhere.

I'm between Bluebell Hill (9 Miles Away) and Heathfield (20 Miles Away). Although Bluebell Hill is nearer, it's the other side of a steep hill. Obviously the distances are in a direct line.

It'll be down to the Aerial man to find which is best for me.

My analogue is at Heathfield but gives poor reception, although it is in the loft.

Mark.

5. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Aerial man is coming on Monday. He seems confident it'll work ok, and will take back the box with hime if it doesn't. I need the Aerial upgrade anyway as my in-loft aerial gives a dreadful picture.

Mark.