1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

URL for EPG Update?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by mdfwrestler, Mar 1, 2005.

1. mdfwrestler

mdfwrestler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

Just purchased an Elonex Artisan LX machine and waiting for delivery.

I don’t have a landline at home so no internet connection but was sure I could find the URL for my local EPG and download it at work then manual update my Artisan.

-Does anyone know the URL for EPG downloads?
    -Can anyone tell where to copy the EPG in MCE2005?

Thanks!
    :smashin:

2. Werner

Werner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope, this will not be possible.

When mce does a guide update it identifies itself to the website as a certain type of browser. Only that browser can access the epg, which is in encrypted form in anycase. Sorry, but I see no way around your predicament. As a side note, the guide will try to update once a day (to keep itself topped up), but it will downlaod 14 days worth of data, so, essentially, it only really needs an update once every 14 days to be able to tell you what is on now and next

3. mdfwrestler

mdfwrestler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Oh well cheers Werner - I'll either wait for microsoft to do summot sensible!?!?! or carry my LX into work every 2 weeks….

Thanks for the reply!

4. mdfwrestler

mdfwrestler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just a thought – what if I run MCE (purchase another copy) in a virtual machine on my work PC, do a snapshot then an EPG update and grab the changed files? are they all encrypted? – or am I totally sh@fted?

5. Werner

Werner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the virtual pc route will work.

The only key that is sent that is unique to your machine is the postcode, so that the guide provider can basically charge microsoft for services rendered. Of course, you would need another legal copy of mce for the virtual pc machine... ;)

6. mdfwrestler

mdfwrestler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks again Werner - the cheque's on it's way to microsoft as we speak for MCE copy 2.... :D

7. Werner

Werner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just thought of something......! something "not good" for this scenario.

Before you get to set up your guide, you have to set up a tv tuner. You wont have a tv tuner in the virtual pc.....

I would suggest as follows

Install mce2005 on the virtual pc, then grab from your own pc any folders named "ehome" as well as any registry keys names ehome and place them into the correct locations on the virtual pc. This will then work ok.

I tried last night....set up a machine with mce2005, set up tv tuner, set up guide, then, powered down and removed tv tuner. Mce would still happily fetch the guide even though no tv tuner was present, however, it required one when first setting up the guide

There is one other way which I think is much better. On www.bleb.org the man has some xmltv data for the uk channels. In this short post it is difficult to explain how the whole thing works, so I am going to cheat and reference a post at tgb:
    http://www.thegreenbutton.com/community/shwmessage.aspx?ForumID=27&MessageID=90637

Basically, we grab xmltv data from the bleb.org website, and inject it into the mce guide database to keep it updated.

Using this way, you wouldnt need the "virtual pc" route, just download your xmltv data to a usb memory stick at work, go home, copy files to pc, and run the app to inject it into mce. Voila
    Hope this helps

8. mdfwrestler

mdfwrestler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That's a big breakfast to digest! I’ll bury my head into the link but I agree – a far neater solution.

Thanks again Werner, obviously need to wait on my Artisan delivery (4weeks :eek: ) before testing but will send you an update.

Cheers!

9. CTID

CTID

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    werner, I've only skimmed the TGB link but am I right in thinking this could get over the problem of MCE only allowing 1 type of EPG?

10. Werner

Werner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well, yes, sort of...not in the form you believe i.e. dvb-t and analogue simultaneuosly.

It is meant to be use din countries which dont have epg guide data, but where you can get xmltv guide data. So, you download the xmltv data, stick it into mce and voila, a working mce machine, in an "unsupported" country..