1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Urghhh.......buzzing speakers Sony 1080

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by pingtuk, Mar 17, 2003.

Tags:
  1. pingtuk

pingtuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got my Sony 1080 receiver with my elac cinema 1 sat/sub about 10 days ago. All was working fine and everything sounded great until about 5-6 days of usage.

After a few hours or so of watching a DVD or playing a game a buzzing sounds comes from all my speakers. I've tried almost everything including turning the subwoofer off, disconnecting cables, plugging the receiver in a different power socket but the only thing that will get rid of the buzzing is to turn the amp off.

I've read other threads with people who had the same problems. Could this just be me being very unlucky and getting a faulty amp like they did or am i not doing something right?

Sony 1080 users who've had no problems and ones that have had this problem please reply to this thread.

I've already emailed HiFiBitz about this so i'm just waiting for a reply. I'm just not very lucky with two Videologic DTS theatre cinema systems going dodgy on me too. :(

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Yes your right there was a thread about this some time ago it sounds like yours has the buzz fault mines been ok no problems at all.Hope you sort it out things like that really pee me off.

3. pingtuk

pingtuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At least theres some happy 1080 owners out there.

I just tested the receiver downstairs on the Alba DVD player for a few hours and for some reason it worked fine there. Maybe it was because i didn't have a subwoofer plugged in there? Or maybe something to do with the power sockets as there are less things plugged into the adapter downstairs in the living room.

Anyway, i've brought it back in my room for some more testing.........

4. pingtuk

pingtuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nah, it still making that buzzing no matter which power socket i plug it in. I've tried all over the house with just the centre speaker plugged in.

It must be some overheating problem since its quite hot in the bottom left of the receiver, even though i don't put anything under or on top of the receiver.

I guess its a faulty unit and i'll just have to wait for HiFiBitz to get back to me on it. I don't really want to get a different receiver as i quite like this Sony one.

5. pingtuk

pingtuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a update. I've to phone HiFiBitz tommorow to arrange collection for the faulty unit and delivery of the new unit.

I've got my fingers crossed that the new unit won't be faulty. I'll update this thread later when i've received and tested the new unit. Hopefully this will help with others who are thinking about getting the Sony 1080 receiver too.

Anyway, Thanks for the......erm.......one response i got. ;)

6. memmerson

memmerson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    a relative a had a 940 that buzzed, I seem to remember that he managed to fix it by grounding it. On my old 930 (predecessor to 1080) there was a grounding post (toward the top left at the rear of the amp).

Hope this helps

7. pingtuk

pingtuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I never thought about that signal grounding so i gave it a try using speaker cables and tried grounding it to the radiator but sadly that did not work. Nothing to do with interference i don't think, just a faulty unit i guess.

Thanks for trying to help anyway.

8. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Have you got it sorted out yet.

9. pingtuk

pingtuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well i'm still using the "faulty" 1080 till the replacement unit comes later this week, then i'll exchange it with the "faulty" unit. At least I can use it for a little while before the buzzing comes back.

10. bigmacx

bigmacx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Try turning the display off (set dimmer to 100%), the Sony Db930 models suffered from this problem. I guess it could be the same here.

Mac.

11. pingtuk

pingtuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, its an interesting solution. I'm just playing my Aliens:SE DVD and waiting for the buzzing to come back so i can test the theory. :)

12. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    To me it sounds more like a heat related problem if your having to wait for it to happen, dry solder joint or a loose wire that was never soldered and should have been.I had a sony tuner and after about a year the display started gonig on and off, lossing sound and making crackling noises.When i opened it up there were dry solder joints all round the transformer,resoldered it and things were fine.

Mines been fine and so have a lot of other peoples you must be very unlucky if the repacment buzzes good luck.

13. pingtuk

pingtuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried the dimmer trick when the buzzing came back but no luck there. Thanks for trying anyway bigmacx.

As for the soldering business, I've never used a solder before so the thought of me opening the reciever up to check for loose connections or dry solder joints scares me a little! Thanks for the info anyway, maybe something i'll look into in the future if this problem comes up again.

Anyway, I'm still waiting for the replacement to come anyway, so hopefully that won't be faulty otherwise i'll have to kill myself or something (Not really though). :)

14. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    No never open up anything electrical unless you are quallified to do so,it was just an example of how easy things can go wrong.

15. malford

malford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I recieved my Sony STR-DB1080 on the 6th January 2003 and after 3 days it started buzzing on all 5 speakers.
    It is very annoying at night where all you can hear is an earth type buzz.
    The buzz seems to come on after 5 minutes of use and changing sound fields or by going into 2 channel mode doesn't seem to make any difference.

I have disconnected all components from receiver and removed all but the forward speakers and still the buzzing is there.
    I have checked and double checked all wiring for signs of a short but all is fine.
    I haven’t yet got a sub woofer connected to the HiFi so I can count that out of the noise equation.

The electrical supply has been checked for EMF and there are no fluorescent lights, dimmer switches or Televisions nearby.
    My previous Technics SA-GX690 worked fine on the same setup for many years without any buzzing noises.

Things took more serious turn today as the amp went into "PROTECTOR" mode and refused to respond to anything other than the OFF button when music is played at a loud level (-30db). After it cooled down a bit things went back to normal apart from the Buzzing noise.

Phoned Empire Direct today and after waiting 20 minutes on the phone I spoke to a very helpful tech support guy who offered me an exchange of unit (postage paid by Empire direct) or offered to have it looked at by an approved Sony dealer local to where I live.
    I have opted for an exchange unit as sometimes dealerships are not always very accommodating when they have to do warranty work on goods that they haven’t sold you.

Sony STR1080 Replacement from Empire Direct.

Timeline:

Ordered STRDB1080S 02/01/2003

Received unit 06/01/2003

Fault occurred 10/01/2003

Fault reported to Empire 14/01/2003

Unit picked up (no charge) 17/01/2003

Advised replacement unit nil stock, possible delivery mid February and offered full refund. 30/01/2003

Unit Arrived 03/02/2003

Very happy with Empire’s returns service but disappointed with Sony UK for not re stocking sooner.

Impressed with the timeline progress for Empire, from this you can make your own conclusions to their level of service.

My Sony 1080 still gives me an orgasam every time i crank her up, just love it " and the dainty Blue light"

Regards Malcolm:smashin:

16. pingtuk

pingtuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info Malcolm. I'm still wondering why Sony are still producing those "faulty" units after all the returns they've had???

I guess I'll be waiting a while yet before Sony sends any more Silver Units to HiFiBitz...........of course I could get the Black one quite easily............but Silver rules!!!

17. JBroadhurst

JBroadhurst
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My 1080 has developed this fault. it's over a year old and the buzzing is very annoying especially at night when listening at low volume.
    Has anyone actually had this fixed?
    If so what did it entail cost and time, small job or big?
    Is this problem occuring with the Sony STR DB2000?

18. malford

malford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    My Sony STR1080 was replaced by EmpireDirect after developing the buzzing noise in January 2003.

The replacement unit is now nearly a year old has not given me any problems.

Sorry to hear you have the "Buzzing" fault, I have done some research for you and found this link to the Sony repair dealerships.

http://dealerlocator.sony.co.uk/uk/repairs.asp

I hope you get it sorted and let us know how you get on with Sony and the cost and repair timeline.

Regards Malcolm
    :hiya:

19. JBroadhurst

JBroadhurst
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for your efforts Malcolm, I did actually phone a few of these authorised Sony repair shops this morning.
    It's difficult to speak to any engineers at these places but I got some feedback from one who had not heard of the problem before?
    I guess most people here have had thier machines replaced by warranty so don't know what happens to all the faulty machines.
    I Also spoke to Sony customer service and they claim not to have heard of this problem?
    I thought as it seemed to be a common problem I might get the experience of what could be done to put it right but it has proved fruitless.
    I'm not sure I want to pay around £30 to the service centres to just look at it then find I need to pay for an expensive part/labourfixed?
    Sometimes it's cheaper to buy new?

20. malford

malford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Thats funny when i contacted EmpireDirect and Sony in Jan 2003 they were very much aware of the buzzing situation and offered me a replacement rather than waiting 3 months for parts.
    If you do a search for "buzzing" on AV Forums you will see that many people experiened this fault when the model was first shipped.

I would scream like hell in the Sony shop and get Sony to do a part ex on a new unit and see if that works.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=62866

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75103

Good luck

21. JBroadhurst

JBroadhurst
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes I thought they would be aware of the problem, but had one guy this morning from Sony customer services who claimed he and his colleagues were not aware of the problem?
    I have read all the threads on here concerning this problem and tried to direct them to this to show it was not an isolated problem.
    Not sure how old my machine is? I purchased it sometime in 2003 so it's not covered by warranty so I'm not sure I'm in a position to inquire about part exchange?
    I also phoned my local Sony dealers who both claim they have never experienced this problem?

22. gavp

gavp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Mine deveoped exactly the same prob, took it back to practical hifi and they fixed the problem and its been fine ever since, which is a good job as its a cracking amp, and the blue light is a nice touch when it decodes D/D :thumbsup:

On the repair sheet it states they have replaced ic802 if this is helpful

23. malford

malford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    This is a EEPROM (IC802)

24. JBroadhurst

JBroadhurst
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks gentlemem, This is very helpfull.
    gavp was it an expensive repair or perhaps your 1080 was under warranty?

25. JBroadhurst

JBroadhurst
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I had the 1080 picked up yesterday by local authorised Sony agents.
    The guy who picked it up didn't think the problem was to replace the IC802?
    He said they had fixed this problem before but wouldn't elaborate to me what they were going to do.
    I was suprised to find so many threads on here with same problem but maybe as many 1080 owners were under warranty they never had the experience of fixing the problem.
    If succesfull I will look at the worksheet and ask again what it took to fix the buzzing and post on this thread.

26. mepsipax

mepsipax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi

I also have a faulty Sony 1080 which developed a buzz several months ago.

Mine too was out of warranty, being approx 2 years old. It has been sitting in it's box since it started playing up. I am currently using a Yamah 750 amp with no problems.

I was just wondering how much it would cost to fix the Sony amp, as it seems a waste not to use it/sell it, so would definitely appreciate any info you can provide once your one is mended.

27. JBroadhurst

JBroadhurst
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    mepsipax I was just going to post the info as I've just got my 1080 back this morning.
    The buzzing has gone and it sounds great again.
    On the worksheat it says they replaced:-
    REGULATOR IC+heat sinck
    The parts were under a fiver.
    It cost me £50 in total most of the cost was obviously labour & VAT.
    I was pleased with the cost as it beats looking around for another amp which was going to cost me a lot more.
    Hope this helps.

28. mepsipax

mepsipax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi
    I will definitely contact my local Sony agents then, as like I said previously, it seems a waste not to use this amp, as when it was working it was great.

Many thanks for the info

29. malford

malford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Guess What?

After replying to an earlier post saying my 1080 no longer has a buzzing problem after being replaced with a new unit by EmpireDirect back in January 2003 I have to report that the Buzzing noise has returned to my beloved STRDB1080.

Cant belive its 4 months out of the extended warranty period. :mad:

I have been listening to Classic FM all day today at very low volume and my wife started to complain about a buzzing noise coming from the surround speakers. Damn...! restarted Amp and problem sorted itself out but returned about 5 minutes later.

So now looks like i need to get mine repaired.
    Has anybody got any recommendations on a repairer in Surrey?

:lease:

30. JBroadhurst

JBroadhurst
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello malford, Sorry to hear your 1080 has now got the annoying buzzing.
    Yes mine was OK for five miniutes before buzzing! It's now working great since the repair. I hope it lasts.

It really is bad from Sony that this is obviously a design fault? Sounds like too many machines have suffered from this in a very short time.

I don't have any telephone numbers but what I did was call a local Sony(sales) dealer and they gave me a number for Sony customer services (who claimed they had never heard of this problem?) they will look up a local repair shop for you.

Good luck.