Question Urgh...PC USB problems

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Smurfin, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,402
    Hi all

Getting a bit frustrated with my PC right now. I recently did a clean install of Windows (8.1) on my desktop, but since I've done this I seem to be having multiple problems with USB.

I run an amazon USB 3.0 powered hub from my PC to my desk (via an extension cable), and then have various peripherals plugged directly into this: K70 RGB keyboard, Razer mouse, TrackIR, phone chargers etc.

Since the re-install I've had numerous problems with the mouse and keyboard failing to work. Sometimes I'll boot and the mouse won't work, or the keyboard won't be responsive (sometimes the LEDs are lit, other times there appears to be no power). Plugging the mouse or keyboard into a different hub ...and hey presto everything works fine.

Testing the hub showed that I had three dead ports, so I returned it to amazon and a new one arrived this week. Everything worked fine...until this morning, where exactly the same thing has happened - the two ports that the keyboard is plugged into are dead.

The first hub worked fine for months, up until I did the re-install. This hub has lasted for days, and while it's quite possible I've just been unlucky, I'm wondering if there could be another reason for these problems?

Any ideas?

Thanks

2. SH Dan

SH Dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    When you go to the device manager is it showing a Yellow exclamation mark on the USB device? Something like the image below.
    [​IMG]

Worth checking if its a problem USB drivers on your system.

Also what USB Hub are you using?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  3. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,402
    I'd checked device manager before and couldn't see a problem, but this is what it's showing now.

This suggests an intermittent problem, as I've just unplugged it, powered it back up and the error has disappeared. I'm using an extension cable, so I'm wondering if it's just down to a dodgy cable? Although...wouldn't all the ports fail?

upload_2015-6-11_11-20-58.png

4. SH Dan

SH Dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    From my understand the yellow exclamation mark indicates that it could be a device that failed to install properly.

Are you getting any error codes?

Edit: Didn't see that error message screenshot you posted :)

5. SH Dan

SH Dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Error 43 could point towards,

An internal error and causing it to stopped functioning. Try unplugging and re-plugging the USB cable and also the power cable if it has one

or

Worn or faulty USB connectors and cables. Try plugging it into a different USB port, and also using a different USB cable if it is removable.

But it could also be that the USB device itself has had a hardware failure. You will need to replace the device but personally I think this is unlikely as this is the second one you have had this happen too.

6. GMC79

GMC79
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,187
  7. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,402
    Thanks, just tried that :) Failing that I think I need to replace the extension cable to see if that's causing the issue...

8. SH Dan

SH Dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    It is very possible that it is the extension cable, if it has bad connectors it could be causing the problems.

Its just a little strange that it was working fine then after a clean install of windows it started failing.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015