Urgent reply needed on whether they will take my box if they give me a new one

Sunshinewelly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick question i have sky coming tomorrow to check my system as i am having signal errors.

the box i have now is around 2 years old and has a 1TB drive in it.

if they do have to replace the box will they insist on taking the old box or will they let me keep it.

It's yours - there's no question of "letting you" keep your own property.

Possibly it's a bit more complicated.

The box you have is yours and it's over 12 months old so out of Sky's warranty.

If you need a new box and you 'buy' a new one the old one is yours to keep.

What I'm not sure about is if you accept Sky's £65 call out and replace anything type offer for which they replace the box (maybe with a refurb as you are out of warranty) is if the T&Cs of that offer expect the old box returned to Sky as part of the deal for the £65 price in which case they may try to take it away. If unsure just query it and say you want to keep the old box. They may just let you keep it or simply charge for the replacement box accordingly.

This situation has never been particualrly clear to me as Sky do generally in my experience expect to take the old box away if the box is being replaced free or under warranty and sometimes if paying for the £65 call out but not if you are paying full price for the replacement out of warranty.

That said it's not hard to find posts on here from people that have been left the old box when you would expect it to have been taken and those who have had them taken when you would expect them to be left.

Generally it's a 'like for like' swap and most engineers will be expecting to take your old box when thye fit a replacement. I'd speak with the 'engineer' when he arrives and explain that you've modified your box. It may not turn out to be the box anyway.

Your receiver is two years old and presumably you were a subscriber before that, so on both counts you're in effect entitled to a new receiver for free, so I would simply have asked for that and not bothered with the service call. That way you guarantee to keep the current receiver, especially if you have the new one delivered rather than "installed" as they grandly call reconnecting the two satellite cables.

cheers

i will see whether i can keep it

Your receiver is two years old and presumably you were a subscriber before that, so on both counts you're in effect entitled to a new receiver for free, so I would simply have asked for that and not bothered with the service call. That way you guarantee to keep the current receiver, especially if you have the new one delivered rather than "installed" as they grandly call reconnecting the two satellite cables.

Where tell me does it state you are entitled to a new box? A service call offers a replacement exchange box (to which you may lay claim to a new box) and in no way does it involve being given a new box and allowed to keep your old box - although if a Thomson then the installer may simply not take it away. Also as of yet noone has diagnosed that the problem is with the box so pray tell how is it merely a delivery and not an installation and check of existing system?

Last edited:
"In effect" entitled. Many posts confirm that the two conditions that I specified have resulted in them being provided with a new receiver free of charge delivered to their door. That's what "I would simply have asked for" but I didn't try to force that choice on OP, and wouldn't on anyone else. Whether there is another explanation for the problem is a different matter.

Where tell me does it state you are entitled to a new box? A service call offers a replacement exchange box (to which you may lay claim to a new box) and in no way does it involve being given a new box and allowed to keep your old box - although if a Thomson then the installer may simply not take it away. Also as of yet noone has diagnosed that the problem is with the box so pray tell how is it merely a delivery and not an installation and check of existing system?

So if noone has diagnosed that the problem is with the box it must merely be a delivery, and not an installation and check of existing system.

Last edited:
So if noone has diagnosed that the problem is with the box it must merely be a delivery, and not an installation and check of existing system.

Isn't he in Hermans Hermits, got a day job as a Sky engineer eh?:devil:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom