1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[urgent] Replacement for Tosh 28w8db

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Andy Jenkins, Feb 1, 2003.

1. Andy Jenkins

Andy Jenkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,
    I've only just found this forum (due to a typo trying to get to avsforum ! :D ) but what a fantastic site !

Anyway - my query. My Tosh 28w8db purchased from Comet about 3 years ago has been written off by the insurance that I bought at the time. Result? They are letting me pick another TV to the value of the TV's purchase price (£750). Reason? They wont fit a 5th tube as its uneconomical apparently :eek:

I actually liked the Tosh 28w8db, despite the many (many) problems I had. But I wonder if I'm falling short somewhere.

My setup consists of ...

Tivo
    SkyD
    Playstation2
    Sony DVD player.

Obviously all can be connected via SCARTs, but I keep reading that RGB seems to be offering the better quality. I will be reading up on the subject believe you me, but I wonder if anyone can advise quickly, as I'm popping into Comet tomorrow (ie today).

I dont know what to select. I'm not putting any extra cash towards the TV, so £750 is the max I can spend. Any recomendations from what Comet are likely to stock to think about or steer well clear of?

As I said, I know its a bit short notice, but any advice will be most greatful.

Many regards
    Andy

2. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just had a quick look on Comet's website. Perhaps you should consider:

SONY
    KV28LS60

PHILIPS
    32PW6506

PANASONIC
    TX32PL4C1

SONY
    KV32LS35

If you're happy about staying at 28" then go for the Sony LS60 as it is 100Hz and has 3 SCART sockets. It's also highly recommended by other members of the forum, esp. Squirrel God.

A word of advice, don't fall for Comet's recent ploy of selling over-priced SCART cables, that can either be sorted out more cheaply or with much better quality elsewhere if required!

P.S. fully wired SCART cables with the equipment set correctly carry RGB signals (hope this clears any confusion.)

Good luck today! ;)

3. Andy Jenkins

Andy Jenkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi rct - thanks so much for taking the time to respond.

I've seen the large(ish) debate about the quality of 100hz on this forum - but given that 100hz is generally better than 50hz, which would be the tv to plump for. 50hz 32" or 28" 100hz ?

Oh - and dont worry about the SCART thingy .... once bitten twice shy as they say :rolleyes:

4. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The only reason to go for 100Hz at this price point is if you can notice the flicker associated with 50Hz on a 32" screen (larger screens tend to exaggerate everything!). So if you want a bigger screen and don't notice any flicker then consider buying one.

Hope this is of some help ;)

edit: forgot to mention, the Sony LS60 has the best connectivity of all the TVs 3 SCARTs vs. 2 for all others; worth thinking about.

5. Andy Jenkins

Andy Jenkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK - well I've just returned from bugging the sales assistant for an hour. Needless to say, having the choice of a TV for _more_ than my original £750 purchase was a no no. Given that, it appears I have 3 choices, contrary to the references above (although we do match on the Panny!:cool:)

Toshiba 32Z27
    An upgrade to 32" from my old Tosh's 28", but lack of Dolby, having only NICAM, coupled with Virtual Dolby. Asthetically I like the look (actually I love it), but I'm worried about the lack of decent sound (having gotten used to my DPL on the 28DBW8), and lack of subwoofer. Any comments on this TV regarding sound / picture ?

Panasonic TX32PL4C1
    Heh - we hit on this one. This is the set the Comet sales blokey told me to go for. Apparently not long reduced from £1000 to the £699 mark. Has the screensize upgrade again, as per the 32Z27, but I'm not sure about it looks wise. Plus the wife does'nt like the look. Can't help thinking that this Panny is one hell of a TV for just £700 though. :confused:

JVC AV-28R250EKSC
    Ahh this is the wifes favorite, quoting that it has the 3 SCART sockets we would use (although in reality having just 2 of the 3 SCART'ed devices plugged in all the time would not be that much of an issue I think - besides I could always invest in a SCART switch box no?).

Technically wise, this is the TV that seems to most closely match my old 28DBW8, being both 28" (obviously) DPL, 3 SCARTs 2 sat speakers. About the only thing dragging me back on this bundle of joy is the looks, and the fact that I'm not sure about the quality of JVC TVs.

Of the 3 I would like to pluck for the Tosh. Familarity breeds contempt as they say :D . The wife's favorite is the JVC, but I think that Panny is a mighty close second, based on the spec (DPL, 32" alledged picture quality).

If I picked the Tosh, I could fit the SkyD box and DVD player - side by side on the top self of the cabinet. The TiVo would go underneath. If we plucked for the Panny or JVC, then due to the sizes of the shelves in the cabinet, I would have to put either the SonyDVD physically ontop of the Panny SkyD box or visa versa. Any issues with heat here? I've hear that DVD players dont give off alot of heat, so whacking the SkyD box on top of it should'nt be an issue.

Oh boy I'm confused :confused: Anyone show me the light? :hiya:

6. Andy Jenkins

Andy Jenkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My bad for replying to my own post, but I think we've plucked for the JVC. Yes its 28" (not 32" :( ) but I'm constantly reading that the sound and picture quality really is superb.

Oh well - keep your fingers crossed :blush:

7. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    My leaning would have been towards the Tosh, then picked up a DD rec from one of the discount stores.Anyway hope you like the new JVC.

8. Andy Jenkins

Andy Jenkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Lynx .. time for some correction. Would you have still plumped up for the Tosh if it was not the 27B but rather the 23B (ie NICAM, not DBPL). I got the model numbers mixed up you see :rolleyes:

9. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    I had assumed it was the nicam model to which you refered, which was why i suggested picking up a cheap DD reciever.

If the Mrs likes the JVC, just go with that one as it will be easier in the long run. :)