1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

URGENT!!!!! - RE: Signal to noise ratio

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by jimmy696, May 17, 2005.

1. jimmy696

jimmy696

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was up till late last night reading reviews on both Rio Karma 20gb and Zen touch 40gb as I would now go for one of these compared to Sony or Apple.

Rio only has 30 day warranty and appears to break down a lot but is cheap (£130 cheapest) and is reported to have amazing sound quality and very portable.

Creative has also been reported to be amazing sounding but is a bit more expensive (£190 at cheapest). Also a lot more space at 40gb.

Both seem to have very good file support also.

Rio's signal to noise ratio is 95db
    Zen 40gb is 97db

My last question is does this S to N ration mean a hell of a lot when it comes to actual sound quality??

Please reply soon as I'm setting myself a deadline of midnight tonight to order one. (I'm off on hols in 10 days!!)

Cheers
    Jimmy

2. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    wow, thats poor!
    signal to noise ratio (I may be wrong): signal is the music, noise is the background noise. but 2 db difference can't matter much, whatever it means can it?

3. jimmy696

jimmy696

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my mistake, the Rio has 90 day warranty.

Still terrible for this type of machine!

Yeah, I think the Zen is getting purchased tonight!!

Shame cause I really did fancy a sony hd5 but the 40gb of the Zen touch for the same price is strongly swaying me the creative way!

4. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In the olde days, before digital music was even a twinkle in its father's eyes, a good signal-to-noise ratio for audio equipment was about 70dB or so. Above that, you heard no noise. Below that, you may hear a hiss. As an example, the *best* vinyl record decks onle ever achieved around 75dB.

Digital audio players really are a league above this, and signal-to-noise ratio is simply not an issue anymore. The modern equivalent issues are digital artefacts added to the tracks on importing and playback.