Quantcast

Urgent PLEASE help with my Freeview in my flat - No BBC!

Sami

OK, so I went out and bought a Matsui TUTV1 yesterday.

I set it all up only to find that BBC1, BBC2, BBC3, ITV, ITV2, Channel 4, E4 and Channel 5 were missing! All the other channels including E4+1 were present, but those main ones were missing!

I tried re-scanning several times but had no luck!

Now, do you reckon this is a fault of the box, or a problem with my aerial? I checked my postcode and I am able to receive Freeview and I know that the people that lived there before me had freeview as I recognised the Sony box that they had!

I did notice that the signal strength according to the Matsui was very low (1) - I'm going to exchange the box for the Thomson that accepts Top Up TV and see how that fairs - is it worth me getting one of these:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5352863.htm

or should I get an indoor aerial? - http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5344211.htm

Could it be a problem with my aerial lead? (it's exceptionally cheap and old!)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated before 13:00 as I want to watch E4's Lost tonight!

Cheers
Sami

GaryB

Distinguished Member
BBC1, BBC2 and BBC3 are all on Multiplex 1.

ITV1, ITV2 C4 E4 are on Multiplex 2.

Five is on Multiplex A.

The fact that this many multiplexes are missing indicates either a generally low gain aerial or a faulty box. Since the box is new, the most likely candidate is the aerial but as Argos have a 14 day replacement policy, you may as well try another box first.

I would normally say avoid indoor aerials for DTV but since you are in Sydenham, you should be able to get a decent signal on the proverbial piece of damp string, so it may be worth trying. Having said that, if you can, get a decent outdoor aerial, connect it via CT100 cable and all should hopefully be well.

Avoid Argos for aerials if poss. Most of their stuff is pretty average.

Sami

I've actually movwed to Forest hill now, but still the reception should be spot on considering how close Crystal Palac !

I'm gonna try a new box - I can't change the aerial as I'm in a block of purpose built flats, however, the aerial shouldn't be the issue as the previous owners definitely had freeview and as far as I know didn't have any problems..

I'll get a new box and will purchase an indoor aerial just in case... The Matsui also did the no signal problem on a channel after you had been watching it and switched channels which, from what I have read, is a problem with a few of those boxes!

Cheers
Sami

Top Bottom