Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

URGENT! please help choose between 2 plasmas!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by ourcookie, Jun 8, 2005.

1. ourcookie

ourcookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lease: Hi, I am deciding between 2 Fujitsu Plasma (please don't recommend another brand, coz' I don't need any more distraction):

1. The 50" P50XHA40US
    2. The 55" P55XHA40US

Fujitsu is offering $500 rebate for the 50", and $1500 for the 55".

The net cost difference between the 2 will be $1,300 (not too significant considering the high price tags of either one)

However, there are 1 important difference between the 2 that bothers me: It is the contrast ratio: the 50" ratio is 3000:1, whereas the 55" is only 900:1.

Can anyone pleeeeeeeeease tell me if the 55" will be noticeably inferior to the 50"? From the showroom, they were playing DVDs, and I don't see much quality difference. However, I will be watching mostly Cable TV, would the 55" be a bad choice?

Any comment is highly appreciated!!!!!!!!! :lease:

2. Cliff

Cliff
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,141
    If you view in a normally lit room poor contrast, usually as a result of poor blacks are not so much of an issue- and you say you will be looking at cable so I assume that is normal viewing.

A home theater type set up in a dark room does show these weaknesses however.

To put your mind at rest why not take an Avia test DVD with a gray scale (or colour bars and do a comparison between the two. You may decide that the bigger screen is better overall even if the performance is less on paper.

3. ourcookie

ourcookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Come to think of it. In theory, I would probably only notice the difference if 2 plasmas were side by side. Back to reality, I will only be watching one plasma, therefore, with no side-by-side comparison, the quality effect/difference may not as obvious. Am I correct?

BTW, from what you described, and if I understand correctly, the 55" would probably ok when viewed in a room with normal lighting. But in a dark "like a theatre" type of room, then the contrast of the picture may suffer to a certain degree. Am I understanding it? If so, then that won't be a problem for me coz' I never like to watch movie in a "dark" room. I always have some ambient lights on.

please advise.

4. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +795
    Sorry, have to completely disagree with that, if the black level is crap, it is crap, simple as that!

I agree that contrast ratio is not so important in a bright room compared with a dark room, but that is if black is absolute zero and the contrast ratio is measured from that absolute zero up, but it isn't, they are measuring the contras ratio down to the black level which is not very good on the P55XHA40US. We are talking digital here, not CRT.
    So you will loose detail in the darker areas and the blacks will always look slightly washed out/foggy. I personally can not stand this and think that the whole image looses that 3D snap when you don't get proper blacks.

I would go for the 50" that uses the panny glass.

5. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes go for the 50" as contrast is brilliant.

6. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    yep. Its very good on the 50". In the demo i saw of the 55 it was equally good, whatever the stats say. Be advised that it is physically a much more dominating unit. Whichever one you get, dont forget to have it ISFed.

7. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    If it were me I would be going 50".