1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

URGENT panny ae200e advice needed

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by nero0410, Apr 29, 2004.

1. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,399
    I only have a few hundred quid so i gotta get the cheapest projector that i can find which is the panny ae200e from 'techtronics' for 650

Please could people who have or know this projector help and answer the following questions:

1. is there any chance of screenburn/or somthing of the like from playing games consoles? if so is there a safe amount of time i have to play them befroe this occurs or can i play them as long as i would on a normal tv 4-8 hrs?

2. how long can i have it running before i have to let it cool down? how long do i have to let it cool down for before using it again?

3. does techtronics deliver quickly (within a week say ) or will i have to wait a few weeks for delivery? are their products new or refurbished?

4. has anyone used techtronics before? opinions?

5.what is the lamp life of this model? is there a low power mode that extends this lamp light? by how long does the low power mode extend this life?

6. what is the throw distance from and to ? is there a chart showing this? does the manual have one? where can i look through the full manual as the panasonic site doesnt have the full manual it only goes up to page 42

7. is this a more reliable projector than the ae100? (how many people are 'happy' with this model

8. what is the difference between this and the 300 model

9. what is the cheapest price to get a replacement lamp from where and how much?

and finally 10. is there any chance of seeing a few screenshot os this projectors capabilities? ( various films inc. animation and games)

thanks for your help i will post my what i am doing and keep everyone up to date with my purchase thanks again

tris

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Nero0410,

1. is there any chance of screenburn/or somthing of the like from playing games consoles? if so is there a safe amount of time i have to play them befroe this occurs or can i play them as long as i would on a normal tv 4-8 hrs?

You won't get screenburn on an LCD projector like the AE200. If you use the projector 8 hours a day, day in day out, you could run into trouble from excesive heat problems, but good ventilation and regular cleaning of the filter would go a long way to combating this. do a search for posts from Calibos... he has an AE300 with crazy hours up on it.

2. how long can i have it running before i have to let it cool down? how long do i have to let it cool down for before using it again?

You can run it for as long as you like, subject to the answer to question 1. If you turn it off, you should let it cool itself down (the fan will run on to to this, and I'd normally give it another 10 mins before re-starting. Never do a "hot" re-start - switch off and on again - the lamp will not like it and you stand a fair chance of blowing it on the spot.

3. does techtronics deliver quickly (within a week say ) or will i have to wait a few weeks for delivery? are their products new or refurbished?

Ask Techtronics.

4. has anyone used techtronics before? opinions?

Search button on the top of the page............

5.what is the lamp life of this model? is there a low power mode that extends this lamp light? by how long does the low power mode extend this life?

Lamp life is 2000 hour on full, 5000 hours on "eco" mode.

6. what is the throw distance from and to ? is there a chart showing this? does the manual have one? where can i look through the full manual as the panasonic site doesnt have the full manual it only goes up to page 42

Check the link in the FAQ (2nd sticky on this forum) - projectorcentral.com is your friend.

7. is this a more reliable projector than the ae100? (how many people are 'happy' with this model

AE200 has had far fewer complaints here than the AE100.

8. what is the difference between this and the 300 model

AE200 is 848x480, AE300 is 960x540, AE300 has "smoothscreen" feature to reduce appeqrance of "screendoor" (the visibility of individual pixels. this can cause the picture to appear "soft" to some people, and also introduce scanline artifacts. AE200 is a great candidate for 1:1 pixel mapping using a PC, AE300 can't do pixel matching. If you don't understand any of these terms, check out the FAQ, or use the Search button. The AE200 is a no-brainer at that price.

9. what is the cheapest price to get a replacement lamp from where and how much?

Google is your friend.

and finally 10. is there any chance of seeing a few screenshot os this projectors capabilities? ( various films inc. animation and games)

Use the Search button.

Sean G.

3. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,399
    thank you very much sean you have been very resourceful i will keep up to date with my order/delivery and my findings with this projector and keep you informed and everyone else of coarse on this or a new thread

do you know how long the lamps would be available for? or should i ask panasonic?
    would there be a compatible lamp when/if panasonic stop selling them?

techtronics seem to think that you can get screen burn but its ok to play for 2-3 hours but everyone on here seems to have had no problems with the issue and state that you cant get screen burn i dont see how thinking about it as there are no phosfors to burn

what would you reccommend i could use as a screen? as i cant afford to get one yet a decent one anyway could i use a painted wall or make one like some of the people on here have? are there step-by-step instructions for amking one somewhere?

thanks again

tris

4. berserkgoose

berserkgoose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
  5. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    tris,

Step by step instructions for diy screen in the FAQ...... also check out the Screen forum for lots of info. A fixed screen can be made for £25 - £30, and will perform pefectly well.

lamps should ba available practically indefinitely - you can get lamps for projectors that went out of production years ago................

Sean G.

6. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
  7. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,399
    theritz------ thats ok then i was worried that i wouldnt get a lamp for it in x amount of years, i think i'll have a go at making a screen first (money) then get one eventually if i see fit

dean-------seems a good site got some nice looking screens gonna have a go at making one first though

i should be ordering it either tommorow or monday seen a couple of negative post about techtronics mainly regarding the ae300 but there are quite a few positive and im going for the panny ae200 as that is all i can afford at the moment

thanks

tris

8. berserkgoose

berserkgoose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Nero,
    Don't get me wrong I had a total nightmare ordering the AE300 from Techtronics and like you say so did a few other people, there was a lad on here we pretty much figured out that he'd bought the same AE300 before me and complained, sent it back then they sent the same one back out to me....twice. I bet they've sent it out to another customer since aswell.

But it's not all bad news I have two friends who purchased AE200's from them in december, they had no problems whatsoever and are very happy.

9. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    Yep,
    that lad was me:mad:
    wouldn't touch tech-sh*ty-B8llocks with a barge pole now.
    you may end up with someone elses returned product (advertised as new) or one with faulty pixels (that they don't warn you about).
    My advice? get one from someone that offers free dead pixel check and UK warranty (like www.discounttv.co.uk who I think also chuck in a free screen for the 300/200 models ------ excellent service too)

10. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,399
    beserkgoose//gaffer74------that does seem to be a problem on these forums sometimes a majority of the time you only hear the bad things about peoples expierinces with variuos companys, equiptment etc.... they seem to be few and far between as the majority of people that dont need help wont even come on the forums in the first place i do feel sorry for a lot of people that have all this trouble but i can only afford so much and as the ae200 is only 650 there the only other place i can use is digital direct where its 672 that havent even replied to and e-mail requesting information and techtronics has replied to the past 3 mails i sent them in the past 2 days i havent heard of many probs at all witht the panny ae200 and my mate has had one for quite a while now he paid a lot more for it and said that there giving it away at 650//672 as he paid a lot more than that he got a panasonic shaver free with it as well i think and his is still going fine i have a panasonic shop where i live that would sort out repairs etc... for me so i should be fine for that after warentee has expired but it sounds and looks like a nice projector for the price and i cant afford any more then that really

thanks for your help guys and are there any more people out there that have a ae200 from techtronics and are happy with it??

tris

11. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
  12. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,399
    well i thought i'd take my chances with techtronics anyway (you never know) and ordered one from them theres the may bank holiday on monday so if i dont have it by thursday i'll give them a quick ring to see when its likely to be delivered and when it was posted i will keep you all informed as to what its like how i get on with it pics etc....i have a mate that has a games shop and im buying a screen from him for £50 its on of them that is in an aluminium case and you twist the feet round and pull it upwards so i think that was really nice of him to offer me it for 50 im picking it up on tuesday its about a 6 or 7 ft (diagnal) screen i think so not humongus but big enough for me to use for a while i think as im not exactly sitting far away from it at all well be in touch

tris

13. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,399
    just to keep things up to date i am still waiting for the projector hoping that it comes tommorow or thursday i have a screen now its only a 73" 4:3 but it should do for now not sure how far the projector has to be back to fill it or what it would look like in 16:9 mode on a 4:3 screen i dought i'd get much cover that way shall i set the projector to 4:3 as well or keep it at 16:9 when i get it i have looked at the throw distance calculator but find it hard to understand that well for me i have chosen to watch rose red as my first film which is about 4hrs long followed by green mile which is 3 hours would that be ok or do you think it would be too long to have the projector on for?? i dont wanna blow it in the first evening!! lol probally wanna play a couple of games during the day as well (room darkness sorted) ill post pics of the screen tommorow probally maybe the next day

tris

14. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,399
    ummm can anyone tell me how to insert an image that i have taken with my digital camera?? as it is stored on my comp

15. mr ooops

mr ooops

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +353
    hiya,

to use a photo on your pc, u first have to use a ftp program to put it on your webspace u get from your isp, if you dont have any webspace via your isp u need to find somewhere that does free image hosting.

failing that email it to me and i'll put it on my webspace and tell u the link

fragman@blueyonder.co.uk is my addy if u want me to host it for you

16. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,399
    fragmaster........i dont think i have any web space im not sure and if i did i dont think id know how to put anything on there, that is very kind of you to offer to put it on your web space i will do after i get some pics of it running thank you very much

tris