1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

URGENT OPINIONS on Panny TH42PWD4UY

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Mikey K, Apr 21, 2002.

1. Mikey K

Mikey K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been offered a Panny TH42PWD4UY at £3000. As far as I can tell it is the US version of the TH-42PWD4EX both of which are commercial versions of the Panny TH42PWD. I have a DV2800 which will be hacked for PAL progressive scan.

Anybody got any feed back or comments? Does any one know if it supports PAL progressive scan? Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Feed back ASAP please!:confused:

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    If it's the same as Euro model specs then it does support PAL progressive. The only weird thing with these is that if you use progressive to the component inputs you do not get choice of 4:3 aspect ratio on the panel.

Gordon

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,590
    Mikey K

You don't say if this is a new or second hand display. As Gordon points out this in an imported US model so will have no warranty in the UK - I'm assuming you are in the UK.

For approx £4K you can purchase a TH-42PWD4BX UK spec model with a one year inclusive on-site swap out warranty and for an extra £700 you can upgrade to a three year warranty.

So if you are in the UK is it worth saving £1K on something which could cost plenty to repair - also I'm not sure that you will have the option to upgrade to the DVI board with this unit.

Maybe if it was £2K, and new, and you could get a third party warranty with the money you have saved it would be worth the gamble.

Regards

Joe

4. Mikey K

Mikey K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joe

Thanks for that, the email from this guy was very dubious prompting me to follow your line.

I have also been offered an LG MZ-42PZ10 for £2500 from a UK distributor. Checking the contrast and brightness figures they are well down( 500:1 and 250 cd/m2). Has any one seen one of these running? How does it compare to the Panny TH42 and the FJ PDS4229?

.:confused:

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have seen the LG in action, and must say it is very good, I liked it a lot, the picture is not as good as the Pana, but i think if you see the LG model the differnce is minimal
    you will be still knocked out by its picture, and it Looks really stylish in silver. it is a cheaper alternative to the Pana

dont know what your Location is, but its wall mounted in Currys at Birstall nr Leeds a big newish supercenter.

sat right next to it, is the Panasonic 42" and a 32" Hitatchi plasma,s

and who is selling it at £2500

6. Mikey K

Mikey K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Companies local Supplier of PC stuff in St Helens. Need to check out his credability and support before I recommend him!;)

I will try and get in to the Birstall Store next week when I am driving past on my way to Newcastle.

7. jorgen poulsen

jorgen poulsen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought a brand new TH-42PWD5UY (newer model) here in the US and will bring it back to Europe. It does both PAL and NTSC.

Paid $3,720 (~ 2,400 Pound Sterling including shipping). Perhaps I could bring a few over in my household shipment :blush:

I believe there is a switch inside the model that will allow you to switch the voltage. If not then you just need a small step up transformer which is less than $100.

regards

8. markbuffyfan

markbuffyfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As per some of the other posts give george a call at sound and vision 01204 861861 and you will get for £3100 a brand new uk boxed model delivered and for £3550 they have a few of the black pro models. In terms of the LG sorry but i think they are awful.The blacks look grey and the plue a touch to purple.

9. Kirk

Kirk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I just saw the LG in action at my local Richer Sounds.....I have to say that while it is not at the pinacle of Plasma technology, it certainly is respectable. They are selling them for £2500

The obvious concern with this panel is with the lack of Prog Scan support, so I would rather spend another £500 and get the Toshiba panel which is about the best affordable Panel out there at the moment and comes complete with Prog Scan support.

The tosh is just a rebadged Panny.