1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Urgent One For The Regulars

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Bristol Pete, Oct 24, 2003.

1. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    I am starting to loose my rag with panasonic who have completely mis-informed me about my repair this week.

It has gone from a situation where they told me that the repaired unit would be back in my hands by the end of today. However, today I have finally established that the PJ still has not been assigned to an engineer!!!!!!!!. In fact one rep told me it got there Tuesday, another said Thursday:mad::mad: :mad:

So, I have spoken to my dealer today and they have asked me to go along tomorrow and they will firstly give me a loan unit, or secondly, offer me a replacement 'alternative' machine as they no longer deal with Panasonic - i.e infocus, Sharp et al.

There is the problem. I am stuck between knowing what to do.
    They have the rather good Sharp Z91E which has a superb picture but I cant help but feel that a 4:3 panel on an 800 x 600 machine would not be the right purchase.

However, saying that, the machine has a superb picture to boot and I really cant work out how much resolution - or lines I am likely to loose if I switch the Sharp into 16:9 mode, as most of my viewing is PAL 16:9 DVD on a 16:9 screen + some x-box/dreamcast gaming.

Panasonic have told me that if my dealer is happy to replace the unit with an alternative machine, then they are happy too, depsite bull-****ting me all week.

Would you buy a native 4:3 machine now ?

Thanks,

Cap:(

Someone/anyone advise me. I have a night to sleep on it but dont know what to do. It seems that the alternative 16:9 machines such as Sanyo Z2, HS20 are too far away unless he will oblige us with a credit note of some kind. cant reply tonight as going to see Kill Bill as need to get out and chill with wife and friends over a few beers. Thanks in advance.

2. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Get a credit note and sit tight. The new Z2 is close at hand as well as other similarly spec'ed alternatives so a solution is in sight.

A new 4:3 projector???? Unless you can afford the NEC Ht1000, forget it and hang in ther for one of the latest 16:9 machines!
    Paul

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    Definitely, for movie/DVD use - stick out for a 16x9 device. You don't really want to be using only 57% (approx) of your pixels for wide widescreen movies, do you?

4. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    There's also the issue of rainbows and other DLP-related weirdness. For me, this would be a big problem mainly for guests who might not enjoy the projector as much as they should.

Sorry to hear you've got the ****ty end of stuff yet again :(

By my (regularly dubious and usually suspect) calculations you'll be using 450 of the 600 horizontal lines when viewing 16.9 material, and less than 400 viewing cinema-scope stuff. Not great, but 450 isn't terrible for a DLP panel. I guess it depends on the size of the dead space between the pixels.

The Z2 does look bloody ace and would probably be my first choice. Perhaps you could offer your wife / partner to sweeten the deal? But seriously, if I were in your position I'd be worried after my previous experience with Sanyo. Could be worse tho (Panny, heh).

Can you borrow the Sharp for a couple of evenings and see for yourself?

5. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Get a credit note.

Did you rush into buying your projector. Prob. not so dont rush this one.

6. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Don't get a credit note. Get a full refund and get he PJ your after.
    I believe it's within your consumer rights to demand it.

Here's the skinny:-

What legal rights does a customer have if there is something wrong with a good or service?
    A customer buying for private rather than business use has...The Stationery Office
    What legal rights does a customer have if there is something wrong with a good or service?

A customer buying for private rather than business use has consumer rights under the the Sale of Goods Act 1979, amended by the Sale and Supply of Goods Act 1994, and the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982.

Buying goods

If a good is not of a satisfactory quality, does not do what it is designed to do, is not as described, or is unsafe, then a customer can reject it and is entitled to their money back. A customer does not have to accept a credit note, and may also be entitled to compensation for any losses or expenses incurred.

There are exceptions to the general law. A customer is not entitled to their money back if:

* A defect was pointed out or should been have noticed by the customer
    * The seller's skill and judgement was ignored when the purchase was made
    * The seller made it clear that their knowledge was insufficient to advise on the purchase by, for example, telling the customer they were not sure the good would do the job the customer wanted it to do

7. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Well if you put it like that.:D

8. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    I saw my dealer today.

Problem discussed and I have taken the Sharp Z91E as a loan machine until next weekend.

The situation is now that I have calmed down a bit I am going to let Panasonic repair the unit and hopefully it will come back better then ever. However, I am going to talk to them on Monday morning and hopefully get it sorted. To be honest I was very happy with the picture from the AE300 and after having spent a few quid on a ceiling mount for it I am loath to simply change it on a whim.

So, at present, I am using the Z91E on a coffee table with an s-video connection as my component leads are in the roof and wont run that far. I am very impressed by the overall picture quality which seems very smooth, but the constraints of the 4:3 panel are apparent, as I cant really fill the 16:9 screen how I would like. Just watched From Hell, as nice deep blacks and loads of ambient light from candles could have caught it out. However, only saw one or two rainbows and our eyes feel fine which bodes well for future DLP upgrades.

Still at least we can watch some films this week and I can honestly say that if Sharp release a native 16:9 machine similar to the Z91E and it will be an awesome PJ.

I will keep you posted,

Cap:)

9. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Z9000 available at a good price at present from Nexnix ;)

10. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    but it is still a little out of my price range, but interesting none the less.

After spending more time with the DLP unit today I am seriously impressed by the PQ which is smooth, clean and a lot more film like - if I am totally honest with myself.

Cap:smashin: