Urgent!- Mordaunt Short MS902A or B&W 601s3?

Noopz

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi

I've got a to make a quick decision, I've had my 902A's for about 2 weeks now, and while I'm impressed by their clarity in most music, they don't seem to handle rock or modern urban music amazingly well, and they are a touch on the bright side for my liking. I have a NAD C320BEE amp and a NAD C521BEE CD Player.

I have 1 day left to return these speakers.... I'm thinking of doing this because the B&W 601's seem like a much better choice.

So my question is:

Is it worth it? Will the B&Ws sound better?

Thanks,

Noopz

Well you are going to have to have a listen. A well run in set of 902's would still possibly be considered bright (although not as bright as a 602) but might do the job. Given the difference in price, you might want to look at the MS912 as that is very good at taking the sharp edges off things and it is £200.

That's twice in a day I've recommended the 912 :).

Can you take the other ones back and do a home dem on the B&Ws? It'd definitely be worth a punt. NAD stuff is pretty neutral sounding and from experience I'd say the B&Ws would be a good match. I'd definitely give the DM602s a look too - the cabinets are larger and bass output is quite a bit better than the DM601. The DM602 isn't exactly a bookshelf speaker though.

I am indeed impressed by the 602s, and everyone seems to think they're great. The cost is about as far as I'm willing to stretch (anyone seen 602s for less than £300??).

Only thing that puts me off is that they're quite big! Which means stands, and more £££.

But then again, I do love my Bass... hmmm.

I'm not sure about the home dem, the shops is sevenoaks sound and vision, I'll ask them tomorrow I guess.

Thanks for the replies!

You can pick up the DM602.5 (which is the floorstanding version) for as little as £270 here. They also have normal 602s.

:)

I've always managed to get good deals on B&Ws. Whether it's by haggling a little with my local store (just got £50 off a brand new LCR600) or by trawling the web for ex-dem bargains (my mint DM604s S3 just cost me £399 ... not the £800 they were supposed to retail at).

Get hunting ...

I have the Mordaunt Short 914's, and yes, they did sound a little bright to begin with, but settled down very well after a decent running in period, they sit very well with Marantz amps, but I believe the Marantz sound is a little warmer than the Nads so maybe NAD and MS isn't exactly the perfect partnership.

You could try the 914's, as they do settle down to be detailed and warm, without any top end harshness, great set of speakers.

You could have a look at some of the KEF Q series speakers as well. Or the very nice Quad IIL's.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom