1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

URGENT laptop advice needed

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by SILVERBACK, Feb 19, 2003.

1. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    could anyone give me any advice on buying a laptop i have a pc in the house but im thinking of investing in a laptop id be watching dvds an playing games.i wont be doing any type of spreadsheets etc just dvds an game playing,champ man an maybe sof2 etc if it can handle it also what are the pros an cons.thanks in advance also should i get the same spec or better of the pc i have at home an can i expect the same performance playing highly demanding games ???

2. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    Why do you want a laptop?

A reasonably specced one will cost you a lot of money.

If it is purely for size, then I would suggest you take a look at the Mini-ATX Shuttle systems. These cost about 250, all you need to do is plug in a CPU, memory and Graphics Card.

3. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    for use at work mate,my night shift is long an so are my breaks lmao

4. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's what I did. I bought a cheap 2nd-hand laptop (a Dell), and bought some more RAM for it. (which makes up somewhat for the processor) It won't play top of the line games, so I just use it for emulator games and older stuff. (along with word processing, Free Cell, etc)

There's a ton of great games out there that will run on a "reasonable-spec" laptop... and they're cheap! You can probably get a laptop with DVD drive included for a decent price too, but if not, you could always rip your DVDs onto CDs and play them that way.

Although it seems laptop prices are coming down, they are still very expensive compared to a desktop.

5. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    ok while your all still here what do you think of this for £1100

Intel Pentium 4
    Processor speed 2600 mhz
    RAM Memory 256 mb
    Hard Disk Capacity 40 Gb
    DVD Drive speed 8 times audio playback
    CD Rewriter Yes
    CDRW Speed
    Screen size 15.1 inches
    Screen quality XGA
    Battery life (up to) 1.5 hours
    Sound 16 bit Soundsystem
    Modem Yes
    No of USB connections 2
    Touchpad mouse Yes
    Colour Silver/Dark Green
    Weight 3 kg
    Height 318 mm
    Width 258 mm
    Depth 38 mm
    Graphics type Integrated 64Mb
    Infrared Port Yes
    TV-out Option SVHS
    No of Firewire Sockets 1
    Lan Interface Yes
    Battery Type Li-Ion
    Graphics card memory 64 mb
    Diskette Drive Type Internal Floppy Disk Drive
    Operating system Windows XP Home

6. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The cheaper laptops tend to use desktop CPUs, this means the battery life is rubbish. If you want a P4 laptop with a reasonable battery life you need a P4m CPU.

7. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I would definitely recommend a magazine such as 'What Laptop' which will give you reviews of most current notebooks.

The best value for money when I was looking (about 18 months ago) was Dell - although I bought a Sony VAIO in the end as it was on Sale.
    The biggest differences you get between manufacturers are battery life, screen size, and build quality...
    Whilst buying online can be cheaper I would definitely recommend getting a hands-on test first as some brands just feel really cheap and nasty imho. Obviously you can't test a Dell in a shop, but they have a good website, and I would definitely recommend their build quality.

If you want to play games then I would go for nothing less than a 14" screen... and obviously the best graphics card you can get - all comes down to price really...

EDIT - just noticed the date - you may well have bought one by now!

8. alextgreen

alextgreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Go Sony/Dell - the cheapo manufacturers are exactly that, cheapo.

9. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    My Dell Inspiron 8200 plays Battlefield 1942 at lower resolutions ok, and games like Project IGI 2 really well.

1.8m Intel P4. 512Mb ram and Radeon 9000 graphics.

10. ytgti

ytgti
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What are the Dell like? Ive just ordered a 5100 for a grand and i hope ive spent my money well. I was told that their ok, but then my Dad said i could have his 3/4 month old VAIO for about £400 in a couple of months:mad: Also what difference can i expect from a 16mb graphics card to a 32mb. Mine has a 16mb so am i missing out!:rolleyes:

11. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    In a laptop it would always pay to get as much graphics ability as possible. It's very difficult, if at all to upgrade. Dell however may use pci cards so it may be an option in the future, with a better card bought on e bay say.

32mb is more desirable than 16mb for sure. You'll only really see that though if you do graphic intensive applications on it or want to play recent or futute release games.

Mine has 64mb, just in case.

I ran the benchmark tests on my Dell, and it returned a score of 7000 or so, comparable to a good desktop. However, with the latest generation of desktop/graphics cards now achieving well into 13000 +, it won't be that long before my Dell begins to look long in the tooth, games wise that is.

Don't worry about the one you've ordered. As I understand it, under long distance buying regulations, you can reject the Dell pc within 7 days of receipt or before, without having to give any reason at all.
    You can still stop the order and buy your dads sony.

I'm not 100% on the exact rules, but that's basically it.

In terms of quality, the Dell is pretty good. In fact I'm selling my main pc to solely use the Dell. It can perform/do just about everything my desktop can do. I can buy extra (external) hardware if needed, ie, HDD or CDRW/DVD etc. The 1.8 is plenty fast enough for me. I'll hang onto it for a few years then just buy another laptop.

Sony have a good rep, just not to my taste that's all. But still good quality though.

12. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What you need is the new Samsung X10 laptops these are the smallest lightest laptops in the world, use the new Pentium Centrino CPU start from £1500 but so damm nice its untrue :)

13. Jonty B

Jonty B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I picked up a FS Amilo D two weeks ago after weighing up pros and cons, price etc. Very impressive bit of kit and well built.

Similar specs to the one you mentioned except:

Processor speed 2530 mhz
    RAM Memory 512 mb
    Screen quality SXGA
    Battery life (up to) 2.5 hours
    Colour Silver/blue
    Weight 2.6 kg
    Graphics card 64Mb ATI Radeon

The exceptional graphics card and screen quality make this a very good laptop for games (although I don't use it much for games at the moment).

Price around £1200 all in

Jonty