urgent impressions needed on monitor audio RX8

garrynic

Established Member
Reaction score
Happy new year all i am looking to upgrade my front three speakers (mission 753 freedom fronts and 75centre )there are a pair of RX8 and RX centre in the classifieds for £1000 or maybe a bit less does anybody own or have demoed these ? my local dealer said the RX range are very forward sounding bright in you face speakers and would not recomend them but to be honest there knowledge on some of the stuff they sell in my opinion is not that great i would be using a arcam avr600 amp with arcam bdp100 bluray player and a monolith sub and have now converted to listening to a lot more music than films on the arcam setup in my room of aprox 16ft x 13ft any advice would be much appreciated Regards Garry

Monitor audio are known for producing brighter sounding speakers. However, the rx are supposed to be less forward than other speakers from MA hence they may well work for you. Can you get somewhere to listen to some to see what you think of them?

Thanks PSM1 but my local audio t in cardiff do not have the rx8 and would not want to go in and demo knowing i had no intention of buying from them then buy from here you are very lucky in having audio t in swansea i have bought a few items from them in the past and they seem to know there stuff unlike the current cardiff branch staff so that aside do you think it would be much of an upgrade compared to my missions ? as basically i would be buying blind any other thoughts would be much appreciated Garry

I believe they will be a good upgrade over your Missions and certainly should not sound any brighter then them either. For the price they are you are basically getting the centre for free over buying new. How old are they and in what condition? I would potentially try to get them a little cheaper if possible unless they really are mint. Are they local to you or would the seller have to send them to you? If you can not view them in person then again there is a little more risk there.
Know what you mean about audio T being good in Swansea. I have bought quite a few items from them and am always popping in to have a look/listen to their latest new items. Always had faultless service and a friendly welcome. They even put things on for the kids to watch so I can listen to something else without being disturbed. Have not bought anything from them in a little while but sure I will at some point in the future.

PSM1 thanks for the reply would probably offer £750 max as in london and would have to pick up they are two years old and supposidely mint off topic i auditioned a £3000 projector in audio t in cardiff last week and i asked was it a dlp / lcd or what and he said thats a good question (clueless) and that was from the manager what a joke a regards Garry

Not an exact answer but the upgrade from my mission 753 (non freedom) to the RS6 was a good one

Not any brighter but hugely clearer and much better bass

Amplification with both was Arcam P7

I recently purchased a pair of RX6 speakers and the RX Centre. It goes without satin that you should really audition yourself, but we are really happy with ours. Paired with a Yamaha A1010 they sound fabulous. I know very little about hi-fi, but if I was asked, I'd say they were actually on the warm side. They are also really attractive, quite distinctive but retaining a certain tastefulness.

Go listen to them!

if they in full working condition then go for it
imo great speakers, but as usual always best to demo. bear in mind new rx8 need at least 50h of play.

I've had a good listen to the RX range some time back, and can confirm I was very impressed. Superb value for money there....you'll not regret them.

In the end I opted for Dali speakers and made my way up that range, but had I chosen MA.....I'm sure I'd still be happy.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom