1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

urgent help with my denon 3803 please!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by lotusman1, May 24, 2003.

Tags:
  1. lotusman1

lotusman1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    just got a denon 3803 amp ant mordaunt short thx package delivered today,have set it all up and was really dissappointed with the bass delivery,have fiddled with all sorts of settings to no avail,so hooked up the m/s to my old sony strdb930 and lo and behold bass aplenty!whats going on with the 3803?what have i missed?please don't tell me i've bought a lemon:(

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They need running in.. amp & speakers.

Play some music for at least 8 hours at background level volume whilst you go to work (stick a CD on replay)

3. lotusman1

lotusman1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i don't think it's that really i mean when played through the 3803 there really is almost no bass extension whatsoever.

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What crossover have you set on each speaker?

And are all speaker drivers working?

Perhaps you're used to the Sony droany boomy bass?- wheras the Denon is cleaner.

5. damtom1

damtom1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Definately worth going through the On Screen Display and looking at the crossover level and that your speakers a set correctly (Large/Small).
    I've only had mine a few weeks,but one of the bigget improvement i noticed was with the bass delivery.The sub seemed to be more precise and "located" to the rest of the sound.This was also very noticable because all my other speakers seemed to have a clearer sound.
    Its definately noticably better ,after a running in period,...everything blended in nicely.

6. lotusman1

lotusman1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    so do i set the fronts to large or small?what have you got your crossover set at?The amp seems a lot more complex to set up than the sony and from what i've been led to understand the speakers can take a lot of tweaking as well(the left front will have to go back anyway as when i unpacked it one of the binding posts had sheared off)!

7. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    Use the OSD and enter the Setup Menu. Set all the speakers to Small, route all bass to the subwoofer and leave the crossover of the amp set to 80hz. Set the crossover on the subwoofer to MAX or if it has a Direct Crossover Bypass of some sort, switch that ON.

You'll also need to key in the speaker distances so the amp can set the delay times. Once in the menu, you'll find it a lot easier.

Ideally you need to balance all the channels to 75db including the sub with a Sound Level Meter, if you haven't got one then you'll have to do it by ear.

8. damtom1

damtom1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have mine set up exactly as Jase described.Maybe try and listen to something whilst scrolling through the crossover settings(24/40/60/100/120hz).This will definately show a movement of bass between the sub and the fronts,...if there is any!!
    Is your cable to the sub fine?or maybe in the wrong connection on the back of the Denon....(i did this)

9. lotusman1

lotusman1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks for all the replys,i've sussed it out i think,i did'nt have the subs connected via the sub out on the amp at all as the retailer said i could run them without,so i just connected them up with some phono cables and hey presto loads of bass!They sound awesome!But i've got to pack it all up now as i'm moving house,don't know when i'll get to set it all up next.