1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Urgent help with LC26GA4E

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by deadred, Jan 11, 2005.

1. deadred

deadred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I got my LC26GA4E today and have to say i'm very impressed, there is one small problem, there is one dead pixel on the screen, i don't know if to send it back (it would mean doing without a tv for a few days) or live with the one dead pixel which isn't noticable until your about 6" from the screen................what would you guys do?

Sorry forgot to mention i need an urgent response because if i'm going to have to send it back, i won't throw the boxes away!!! :lease:

2. klr10

klr10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    It will probably become more annoying as time goes on - I'd get it changed

3. deadred

deadred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    It won't get any worse though will it? Or spread across the screen like a disease :rolleyes:

4. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,810
    I would also go for an exchange.Who did you buy it from?

5. deadred

deadred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I bought it from Shopatdigital.co.uk, when i ordered it the guy seemed really friendly so i'll give him a ring in the morning, cheers for your opinions guys, i wasn't happy when i found it, and didn't want to lose the tv for what could be upto a week, but your right, it should go back..................gutted!!!

6. mark88

mark88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Whether you'll get a replacement I think depends upon the state of the pixel and it's location on the screen.

The sharpserv engineer told me there's a tolerance level that they go by, and you have to have more than 6 dark pixels to get a replacement, but only 1 light one. I assume dark means off and light is on. I dunno, I'm sure the retailer will call sharp and see.

It won't make other pixels die btw ;)

7. klr10

klr10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    It's highly unlikely to get any worse, but if you've noticed it then you'll be constantly waiting for one of your buddy's to say "OOh what's that little dot...." (as they do) :rolleyes:

8. deadred

deadred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I would have thought that dark pixels were worse as they'd show up on the screen more, my pixel is yellow and it's not in the middle of the screen it's upper left from centre, and like i said i can only notice it when i'm 6" away from the telly and only when i've pressed the menu button, so icould live with it, but just wanted other peoples opinions as to what they'd do

9. deadred

deadred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    They'd have to be sat about 6" away from the telly to notice it though, and then only when the menu is on
    :confused:

10. mark88

mark88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    funnily enough, that's exactly what the engineer said too.

11. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,810
    Can't you send it back within 28 days if not happy with it.Selling distance regulation or something.

12. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Have a look at this attachment for Sharps policy

Attached Files:

13. sgmess

sgmess
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here is a reply I received from Sharp regarding there dead pixel policy on the Aquos Range.

Seems intresting that they state this a couple of pages into the manual though.

14. deadred

deadred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Thanks for the reply's guys, i spoke to shopatdigital this morning and they offered a relacement straight away, which they said i would get tomorrow picking the faulty one up at the same time. They didn't argue (like some other shops i could mention!) about Sharp's pixel policy, and even said they'd check the next LCD before shipping it out.........this is what i like, a good customer service :thumbsup: . Let you know how the next one looks tomorrow, i'm gutted this one has to go back as it's an absolute peach, deffo made the right choice here (thanks to all the info off members here :smashin: ) and anyone looking to get a 26" LCD, then buy the Sharp.............you won't be disappointed!

15. alscds

alscds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this one just caught my eye,
    as far as i was aware the advanced super view on the sharp screens is supposed to turn any pixel drop dark so it isnt noticable, and ive been told by a very reputable source that if one dead pixel shows red,green,blue they will replace it ? :confused: think i,ll make a call

16. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,810
    Deardred, that excellent news m8,my 26"GA4 will be here thursday can't wait.It's good to see retailer whos very helpful.

17. deadred

deadred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Honestly m8 you won't be disappointed (unless you have to send it back!) i bought this screen purely on the advice of people off this site, i had seen a LC26GA3E in Comet but it was running through a crap feed and it didn't really look like a widescreen telly as it had the speakers at the bottom, squaring it off like a normal telly :thumbsdow but the LC26GA4E just looks fan dabby dozy :thumbsup: . The picture quality is :eek: , and i haven't even played with the settings yet!!!

18. mark88

mark88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Lots of people have the 26 inchers here, anyone of your notice the problems I experienced with the RGB input?

I've had 2 sets, & 1 set that's had two mainboards. So I guess that's like 3 sets. The first set had really bad RGB problems (Sky+ blue screens, and DVD blacks). The second set was alot better, but it's not perfect, especially with DVD.

19. deadred

deadred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Can't say i've noticed it, although i haven't played with it much as it's going back tomorrow, let you know how i get on with my new set!

20. gloriousbach

gloriousbach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Deadred,

Thanks for all the info about yor situation.

I ordered my Lc26Ga4E from shopatdigital for the warranty and because you mentioned how good they were on replacements.

Now that I have received mine last Thursday, I am very pleased with the TV, but noticed a stuck bright pixel almost in the centre of the screen, up and to the right of centre. The speakers also occasionally hiss and the autotuner didn't work for me.

Because of this (expecially the dead pixel stuck on bright) I am sending it back for replacement. When I contacted them a nice lady said technical support would contact me very soon - I thought why do I need tech support if there is a pixel stuck on bright in the centre of the screen, apart from the other problems, I need a replacement.

5 hours later the same girl (tech support!?) called to schedule a collection for Thursday. I changed that to wednesday, then she insisted that they had to collect the TV first, inspect it for the faults and then potentially schedule a replacement.

Of course this is completely unsatisfactory and seemingly nothing like the service you received. Do you have the name of the chap who was so obliging to you in obtaining your replacement or can fill me in on how you made them so compliant?

I have sent this as a private message and on your thread to ensure you see this!

Thanks in advance for any help!

21. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    What is wrong with that? They surely have to the right to get the TV back first and check the fault, you do not expect a swap in advance do you? I think saying "Of course this is completely unsatisfactory " is a bit OTT! It depends how long the replacement takes to come surely?

22. gloriousbach

gloriousbach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jimg, I can appreciate your point about receiving the TV back to check the fault, but seemingly common sense would dictate that if there was nothing wrong with it I would not be sending it back and potentially being without a TV for weeks and 1k out of pocket - not to mention the chance of incurring a £50 collection cost and the TV being damaged during transit.

What I am refering to is the difference between indifferent customer service and good customer service as deadred received. JL would have replaced it immediatelym and that is why so many in the forums use the for their expensive LCD purchases (thought the 5 year warranty also helps). In my case they were far too uncompetitive pricing the LC26GA4e but otherwise I would have been to them in a shot to avoid this hassle.

23. deadred

deadred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I've just sent you a pm mate