1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Urgent - help with camera choice!!

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by chez, Nov 3, 2004.

1. chez

chez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I'm off to Amsterdam on Saturday and need to purchase a digital camera by Friday!

Having looked at the various options, I have decided that I want a small camera which will take good quality pictures.

The models I am considering are -

Panasonic DMC-FX7 (£280)
    Canon Ixus 40 (£230)
    Pentax Optio SV (£319)

The advantages of each appear to be that the Panasonic has a bigger screen at the expense of an optical viewfinder and also has image stabilisation technology, the Canon is very small and still has a reasonable screen and the Pentax has a 5x optical zoom as opposed to 3x on the Canon and Panasonic.

Has anyone used any of these or have any recommendations (are there any other cameras I should consider)??

Thanks
    Chez

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,024
    When you are using an electronic viewfinder you will have less shake than looking through the screen (but have seen night time shots with steady shot and they seem ok). I personally use it all the time on my camera and much prefer it, that is using the electronic viewfinder.

3. chez

chez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    The only time I ever used the viewfinder on the camera I had before was to capture moving objects (like cars at Silverstone)..

Anyone have any suggestions as to which one to go for (or even reasons not to go for a particular one??)?

4. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,024
    I personally prefer it you can see what you are taking easier, and you can see if the object is in focus, what’s more it prolongs the life of your battery between charges.

I take it from the ones you have selected are looking for one that slips in your pocket.

5. Razieluk

Razieluk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally I'm rather taken with the Fujifilm E550 . I've recently read very good reviews about it and if I could pursuade my wife that I needed a compact as well as an SLR style (Fuji S5000) I would get one.

Raziel

6. calllvin

calllvin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm very happy with my FX7. It looks very smart and takes very good pics once you get used to it. The down sides are the lack of optical viewfinder and lack of any manual options. The sony W1 would be another option which does have manual features, a viewfinder but I didn't get it as it didn't look as cool :blush: but I guess that's part of the point of these cameras

Fergus

7. chez

chez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19

Definitely :) I am still considering getting a compact and an SLR for things like Silverstone etc..

Thanks...looks good, but it's not quite as compact as I'd like..

8. chez

chez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19

Do you find the image stabilisation makes a lot of difference?

You say 'once you get used to it'...did you have problems with it at first??

My friend has the W1 and you're right, it's just not as cool :)

9. Razieluk

Razieluk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Re: Fuji's E550:

It's more compact than it shows on the picture - the lens does retract into the body when it's switched off.

Have a look at Fuji's own site and view the demo

Raziel

10. calllvin

calllvin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Didn't have problems as such but found the flash tended to be too bright - fine if you stand a bit further back and zoom a bit. Found it too noisy on auto ISO but great on 100. I really think the OIS works but haven't done proper comparisons of it on and off yet.

See here for macro pic.

Got a spare battery from ebay for a tenner inc postage from hong kong, 256mb fast SD card for £20 from ebuyer.

Fergus

11. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,757
    Probably too late now if you've already set out for Amsterdam, but be careful where you point your camera in the Red Light area as you will be pounced upon by minders if you point it in the wrong direction ;)