URGENT HELP: VHS Video to DVD + Camcorder to DVD

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by MELUN, Dec 14, 2003.

1. MELUN

MELUN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I am a newbie here and in need of some help.

I have some very basic needs and just need to guage what the best solution is.

I would like to get a DVD Recorder to convert all my years of VHS recordings to DVD format.

Also I am doing a lot of filming with my Canon MV600i and would love to convert my footage into a DVD format.

I also am a huge fan of music and would love to get my hands on some of the DVDs of the artists I follow from around the world.

Can anyone please advise what would be a good cost effective unit to buy?

2. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Panasonic DMR E60..............although I'm biased as I recently got one..:D However, wonderful bit of kit, and I myself am at this moment copying some SVHS video to DVD RAM direct from my camera.

3. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Panasonic's Flexible Record is the unique killer feature for dubbing VHS to dvd. It allows the bitrate to be adjusted so that the the dvd is filled to capacity, whatever the recording length, to give the best possible quality. No other manufacturer offers the same feature as far as I know.

For your camera, you'll want a recorder with i-link/firewire/dv input. If you can afford it go for a machine with a hard disk such as the HS2 (£540 multiregion) as this will allow you to edit before committing to dvd-r. If not, the E60 (£330 MR), which has no hard drive, would fit the bill.

Check www.pricerunner.co.uk for best prices.

4. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Or a slightly cheaper way...DMR E60 (£336), and a slave DVD player with DVD RAM playback like the Panasonic DVD S35EBS (£77).. :D You will then have a backup deck, I find this works well, ie let the E60 record Sky or TV while watching a DVD on the other player..only restriction is the discs capacity for recording. If you do loads of timeshifting, then the HS2 would be better maybe.

:smashin:

5. MELUN

MELUN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone

After spending the last 2-3 hours going through the forums
    I think that the HS2 looks like the easiest way to achieve all needs.

Can anyone advise the best place to shop?
    Also wheres a good place to buy the DVD-R medi...........I have lots of VHS vids to convert.

Also , what cables will I need to link my VHS Video, TV and HS2 together?

6. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    As I said, do a search on www.pricerunner.co.uk. Seems that PRC direct is the cheapest for R2 and MR at the moment.

www.blankdiscshop.co.uk is a good source for dvd-r.

A couple of decent fully wired, individually shielded scart cables should do the job. No need to spend silly money in my opinion.

7. MELUN

MELUN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers bobones

I am a little confused over which blank CDR media to get
    There seem "so" many options???????

8. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I prefer plain white-top dvd-rs. I've tried a variety of different brands from Panasonic at £2.50 each to unbranded 50p ones, and they've all worked OK.

The general consensus is that the Ritek G04 dye is the best of the cheaper media, and although some people have said Panasonic's don't like Ritek, I've never had a problem.

Have a look at www.dvdrhelp.com for lots of media discussions and compatibility lists.

9. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    You mean DVD-R ?? I assume. I have purchase a lot from SVP as they are a very good company to deal with.

The choice is I suppose confusing but you will need to experiment with different brands/type to see what suits your machine.

I have the Panny E20 and E30 and Ritek dye media are not happy with my machines. However that most deffinately does not mean that the Ritek dye media won't work for you. So give them a try.

Personally I would avoid the very cheap media as their recording longevity will be less certain than that of popular branded media. If you can get them Memorex and JVC are good choices along with Panasonic and TDK and so on. As for other more unknown brands the gamble is yours to take......

With regard to you archiving your tape stock I would advise you don't dispose of your VHS collection until you have got adequate and reliable backups of your DVD-R'r. At least two copies on different brand media before you even think of ridding yourself of the VHS recordings.

Also if you have done a recording on cheap media in particular don't assume you have a good recording simply by having a fast forward check of the recording. The only way to be sure is to watch them all the way through at normal play speed.

The type of problems you might get from faulty or incompatible media is picture freezing or stuttering when played back on a machine other than that it was recorded on. The H2 is one of the best choices for you. Good luck. Malcom.

10. menalaus

menalaus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    if you have a pc with enough memory, (and a dv camera that has both dv in and out) then i would edit on there with some decent editing software (eg pinnicle). then transfer from the pc to the camera then into the dvdrecorder. that way you get decent titles and transitions into you footage.

11. MELUN

MELUN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I am nearly there now..........

The Multiregion HS2 seems the best solution.
    Just want to be sure that I couldnt achieve all of this without spending c£550 and too much pain?

I prefer the idea of it all being in one unit.
    The main issue is the ease of consolidating loads of VHS footage with loads of gaps and rubbish, into a slick DVD format.

Am I right in saying that without the Hard Drive it is difficult to do this from both VHS and the Camcorder?

12. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

When i had only the E20 i started to consolodate my VHS stuff scattered from here to eternity directly onto DVD-R using pause for editing. It most certainly can be done but needs planning and patience and of course lot's and lot's of time.

I eventually got a second RAM recorder and now copy first to RAM in XP mode,edit then final copy to DVD-R. Having a hard drive of course will make life a lot easier and you can have greater quality of your final copies.

13. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    There should be no differance in quality between RAM to -R or HD to -R..

14. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There would be better quality on HDD-DVD-R if the RAM recording lasts over an hour.It would drop to SP.HDD allows almost 9 hours at XP

15. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    That depends on which mode you choose to copy in. XP,SP, or FR etc.

Phelings reply explains why a hard drive is beneficial.