Urgent help required.

Reaction score
edit: This is on the LCD forums as well, and I hope I don't just get 'go for LCD' on LCD and 'go for Plasma' here :D

I've got a few PMs going with John Lewis, have a couple days left on a Sony 40V3000 pricematch and have just got the Panny's PM'd.

I'm torn between the Sony 40V3000 and Panasonic 37/42PX80

I'm primarily wanting this TV for HD stuff, 1080p, 720p etc.

However I will be watching *some* and I say that tentatively SD stuff from freeview.

I do play games, but I have my dell 24'' monitor as well and because 360 is such a bad source I may use it through this still.

The panny isn't 1080p but I've heard the difference is neglegable, I don't know for sure what I think about this and alot of the time it seems to come down to the settings etc.

I like both TVs and quite simply cannot decide which one to buy, I could do with some advise.

thanks,

muttyhc.

I'm sure you'd be happy with either. I'd have the 42 Plasma myself.

You could decide on your room lighting ... ie: If you are likely to be watching the Tv in a very brightly lit room (be it windows or bright main lights) then you may get some benefit of the unnatural brightness of the LCD.

otherwise... the Plamsa will deliver a more pleasing and natural image.

The Full HD / HD Ready difference is indeed negligible to non-existent beyond arms length on a 40-42.

I'm not a fanboy before someone bashes this but I think the SD picture on the V3000 is one of the worst I've seen on a flat panel.

and because 360 is such a bad source
Er, what? The 360 picture is superb

I'm not a fanboy before someone bashes this but I think the SD picture on the V3000 is one of the worst I've seen on a flat panel.

I agree, I saw it for the first time a couple of weeks ago and it was amazingly bad

Generally plasma is better for SD sources than LCD and look more natural too.Any review of the px80 regarding HD or SD performance has been very good all round:thumbsup: oh and then theres those black levels too,another plasma plus.:smashin:

I have to say the SD picture on my 42PX80 is looking better every day. The TV is 3 weeks old and some SD programes can almost look HD at times (from 10 feet).
I found it strange when people said the picture improves over time, but have to admit it certainly appears to have done so.
I have no regrets at all going for this set, and I made several posts before buying as I wasn't convinced from what I saw in the shops.

Xbox also looks great, and 720P material played off the xbox can look stunning.

muttyhc, how about this - the view from someone in an identical position to you?

I was dead-set on buying the 40V3000 when I went into John Lewis to have a look and throw down some pricematches and then the new Panasonic PX80 caught my eye as a much, much more attractive TV in terms of on-screen SD picture quality and the actual unit itself (I'm a fan of the understated styling but I understand that many aren't). I then saw HD material on them both after pestering the John Lewis guy to run around with a Blu-Ray player for me and I'm now set on buying the Panasonic. It was an all-round finer performer for me and the blacks on the HD material were far superior, even in a well-lit John Lewis store.

muttyhc, how about this - the view from someone in an identical position to you?

I was dead-set on buying the 40V3000 when I went into John Lewis to have a look and throw down some pricematches and then the new Panasonic PX80 caught my eye as a much, much more attractive TV in terms of on-screen SD picture quality and the actual unit itself (I'm a fan of the understated styling but I understand that many aren't). I then saw HD material on them both after pestering the John Lewis guy to run around with a Blu-Ray player for me and I'm now set on buying the Panasonic. It was an all-round finer performer for me and the blacks on the HD material were far superior, even in a well-lit John Lewis store.

I don't know if anyone else is the same as me, but I really hate the matt finish on LCDs. It just makes the picture look less natural. Ok, a glass front can obviously reflect a bit more but the overall picture is better. Even Samsung have realised this with their F86 and new 6 series coming with a glass front. Is it just me???

I don't know if anyone else is the same as me, but I really hate the matt finish on LCDs. It just makes the picture look less natural. Ok, a glass front can obviously reflect a bit more but the overall picture is better. Even Samsung have realised this with their F86 and new 6 series coming with a glass front. Is it just me???

I fully agree, I think it gives a lot more natural look to the picture. You have to put up with a bit of reflection, but it's worth it for the better picture.

Yes, the more I read and think about the panny the more I like it. It's only drawback is screen retention which I think in the long term should be less of a hassle (correct? How many people have spoken about retention let alone screen burn on the px80s?) to me than say the smearing/blurring of the Sony because of its acceptable but not superb motion capabilities.

I just want to get the most enjoyment out of movies.

Thanks to all have posted here.

Is 6-7ft viewing distance OK for a 42'' screen? Also how close would I need to be to decipher the difference between 1080p and 720p/1080i?

Yes, the more I read and think about the panny the more I like it. It's only drawback is screen retention which I think in the long term should be less of a hassle (correct? How many people have spoken about retention let alone screen burn on the px80s?) to me than say the smearing/blurring of the Sony because of its acceptable but not superb motion capabilities.

Is 6-7ft viewing distance OK for a 42'' screen? Also how close would I need to be to decipher the difference between 1080p and 720p/1080i?

For viewing distance, read the chart I posted a few posts back. This is also very helpful in determining your viewing distance:

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Article/How-Far-Should-I-Sit.php

6-7' is about as close as you want to be to a 42" imho. And no, you can't pick out 1024x768 picture structure at that distance.

How many people have spoken about retention let alone screen burn on the px80s? to me than say the smearing/blurring of the Sony because of its acceptable but not superb motion capabilities.

I think that barring a few cases, most of the PX80 owners are happy with the sets when it comes to retention. If i recollect, there were 3-4 cases of retention out of total owners say 100 odd!

If we use the TV as TV and not r@p# and abuse by displaying static pictures for long times and having too high brightness levels, i think the set will do just fine.

cheers guys for the input.

My final question is,

Should I go for the 37'' or 42'' px80?

To recap, viewing distance is probably 6-7ft.

I read that post earlier as well, but it states 720p 8ft and 1080p 5.5ft.

cheers guys for the input.

My final question is,

I read that post earlier as well, but it states 720p 8ft and 1080p 5.5ft.

If you can fit it get the 42PX80. Bigger is better. :smashin:

At 9 feet with a 42PX80, i wish it was little bigger :(. You are fortunate, you only have 6-7 feet, go for 42". :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom