1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Urgent Help Required

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by MRD, Oct 30, 2001.

1. MRD

MRD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Forum,

I have a problem with my DVD player (Sony NS 700). The problem is when I play region 1 DVDs as my DVD player is Multi region it should play the Discs no problem . but when I play Gone in 60 seconds the picture is Flickering and Bars appear on the Screen that makes it impossible to watch., the sound is fine. Although when
    I Play region 2 DVDs such as the Matrix it is fine, the picture is great and so is the sound.

The DVD is connected to a Sony STR 1070 Amp and Sony KV 32 FQ75 Television.

The way that I have got the DVD set up is.

1 S Video to Scart - DVD to TV
    2 Digital Coaxial - DVD to Amp

I have also tried use a Scart to Scart from the DVD to TV instead of S video to Scart.

I have only just purchased the DVD and I was told when I brought the DVD player that it will play all Regions automatically, I am wondering if it is the way I set up the DVD or the DVD player is faulty.

I hope you can help me with this problem as I am not very Technical.
    :confused:

2. Fartpants

Fartpants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From the sound of it your TV might be the problem. If your TV only accepts PAL 50 that would explain the scrolling horizontal bars.

I would have thought it could handle 60hz signals but I don't know for sure.

Get your TV manual and look to see what input signals it supports and let us know.

Regards

The Fat one

3. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree. The explanation given sounds exactly like the tv not being able to handle NTSC.

Usually, you can get round this if the picture is black and white by using RGB via scart. However, this may not work in your case. You could try it but i wouldn't hold your breath.

Use the scart - plug it into the RGB scart on the tv (only 1 is normally) and select RGB on the dvd player video signal menu.

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,987
    If a DVD player isn't multiregion then you get one of the following:

1) The player just ejects the disc without attempting to play it
    2) The only thing that will play on the disc is a static image which tells you that your disc and player aren't compatible.

As the player is evidently playing the disc, it isn't a region coding issue. There is clearly a problem with either the DVD player's NTSC output, or the TV's ability to handle the player's NTSC output.

Try using the disc and player on another TV (eg a friend's; the portable in the bedroom, whatever). This should help you narrow the problem down to the TV or to the player.

5. MRD

MRD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Forum

I have checked the specification of my TV and it is a Sony Windscreen TV and it is 50 / 100Hz changeable when you are different programmes it also has DRC technology but I am not too sure what this does.. When I brought the TV looked the technical specifications and the Colour System on the TV was PAL and NSTC 3.58/4.43, Video IN.
    So as it is a new TV it should be able to cope with NSTC, I hope !..
    One thing I have not mentioned was that I have not Changed any setting on the DVD Player as I assumed that the DVD player would play Region 1 discs normally if it was playing Region 2 Discs. Can You shed some light on way that I have got the DVD set up and if this is the correct way to connect the DVD.

1 S Video to Scart - DVD to TV
    2 Digital Coaxial - DVD to Amp

would this set up require me to change any setting on the TV and the DVD player Such as Line Option. The TV that I have brought KV 32FQ75 is discussed very often on the Television Forum.
    I am baffled by this as the Region 1 discs are not displaying any of the sings that Nigel has mentioned such as the DVD Disc ejects It seems that the Multi region code has been correctly done.. So I will try and alter some of the DVD setting when get home.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions so Far, If you have Any other helpful hints please tell me.

Kind Regards

6. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why are you using an s-video to scart lead?

This will mean you are not getting the best signal option of RGB and you will not get auto-widescreen switching handled via pin 8 on the scart lead (but not on the s-video din).

Use a scart to scart. Plug it into the RGB scart on the tv and change the dvd video menu option from s-video to RGB. (assuming you had changed it to s-video from composite in the first place).

7. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe you have to set the TV to auto input, otherwise it assumes you are feeding PAL...

8. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just a thought...

Is "Gone in 60secs" an RCE disc?

9. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I would not think this is related to multiregion/RCE but rather an incompability between the DVD output and the TV in terms of the Video signal.

Check:
    - DVD Video output options in the menu
    - - change to composite (normal video) instead of S-Video, perhaps the S-Video signal is missing the sync for some reason
    - - change the output to RGB using a cable like mentioned below

Try:

- Normal RCA/phono cable connected to the video output / input (yellow RCA/phono connector).
    - Fully-wired Scart-Scart with RGB enabled

10. MRD

MRD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Forum,

I have used your suggestions last night and we have fixed the problem. Instead of using a S Video to Scart. I have used a Scart to Scart and reset the option on the DVD Player as RGB and this displayed the Region 1 discs without any problem.
    I am still wondering why the S video to Scart cable used to connect the TV to DVD is not working I also changed the mode on the DVD player but I end up with the same result as before.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions

Best Regards :)

11. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Good to hear. It's probably related to a missing sync signal which for some reason is not carried over the cable you have used.
    Nevermind, RGB should give the best and less problematic result anyhow ...