Urgent help required with saumsung freeview!

shortyshokz

Standard Member
i have the samsung LE32B450C4W which i bought yesterday from currys, the problem i have is that when i search for freeview, nothing seems to come up. the tv has built in digital turner which claims to let you watch freeview onit. do i need a cable in order to get some channels on it? i tried both air and cable options on both i tried digital and analogue.

any help will be apreciated!

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
I'm a bit confused with your post :confused: "Do I need a cable in order to get some channels on it" ? if by that you mean an aeriel the answer is yes, plug it into an aeriel & then let it auto tune to find the muxes. If you have an older standard aeriel then you may get some or no channels depending upon Freeview reception in your area. You may need to get a wide band digital aeriel fitted to get all available channels.

What do you mean by you have tried air & cable options on both digital & analogue :confused:

amorphous

Standard Member
i have the same tv and the same problem, think what he means is that he has tried scanning for digital channels on the 'cable' setting as well as the 'air' settings on the tv

i live in north london so shouldnt have an issue with reception but no digital signal either :(

BigCam

Hi :hiya:
Just a thought
Are you using the D. Menu button on Samsung remote
That takes you into the digital tuner section
The Menu button just takes you to the Analogue tuner
BigCam

amorphous

Standard Member
hia, cant get anything up through the guide button and my remote doesnt seem to have a D button.... sigh

Adrian_F

Try a first time installation again and make sure you choose the UK as the country for both Analogue and Digital tuning.

amorphous

Standard Member
just tried that but still the same, thining it could be the arial perhaps? but why would it pick up analogue fine but not digital?

BigCam

Do you have a TV/DTV button try that
Also D.MENU button should be second button to right from that
BigCam

fernandez

Novice Member
just tried that but still the same, thining it could be the arial perhaps? but why would it pick up analogue fine but not digital?
Just a thought.....
What type of aerial are you using and what's analogue reception like (especially FIVE)?

For recommendations enter your postcode in here
UK digital TV reception predictor

If, for example, you're using an indoor/set-top aerial and the site recommends Amplified Extra Hi Gain then there's an answer.

Analogue (in most parts of the UK) is transmitted at a much higher power than digital.

fernandez

Novice Member
that site says my closest transmitter is crystal palace 10miles away and antenna suggesion is log periodic
Remember that this recommendation is based on an aerial mounted outdoors at a height of 10M clear of obstructions.
How does this compare to what you're currently using?

amorphous

Standard Member
well i have plugged the tv into the arial socket in the wall which i traced out the front of the house and heads up to the roof which is about 30ft up.

fernandez

Novice Member
well i have plugged the tv into the arial socket in the wall which i traced out the front of the house and heads up to the roof which is about 30ft up.
That, hopefully, shouldn't be the problem then.

Possibly/sounds like the button marked AD on the remote is to switch between analogue and digital.

What are the guidelines for tuning/first time installation in the user manual?

BigCam

that site says my closest transmitter is crystal palace 10miles away and antenna suggesion is log periodic

and this is the remote i have but mine has some minor differences instead of the - button its fav.ch and the bottom buttons are ttx/mx, AD and subt

http://images.televisioninfo.com/im...2B460/other/Samsung-LN32B460-remoteinhand.jpg

cheers for the help btw
Well the Remote looks totally different from normal Samsung TV remotes
Mine has around 20 extra buttons to play with
What does the AD do
Was thinking switching Analogue/Digital maybe
BigCam

Last edited:

amorphous

Standard Member
the AD button is the "audio description selection button"

followed the instructions to install the tv via the plug and play setup, to choose country, digital and analogue channels and input source which can either be 'air' or cable' have been searching via air though ust trying 'cable' but think thats only if you have cable tv?

the manual is here.

Download Center SAMSUNG

Jevan

Hi, I have just installed the 26 inch version of your TV for my brother, same remote, with no problems.

I am in Devon, we have gone totally digital.
I bought a cheapish wideband aerial, we are lucky that the transmitter is visible from his flat.

Try going through the "Plug & play" initial set up again.

It will ask for your pin number which by default is 0000. I installed the outside aerial so I selected "Air" and because we are Digital only I selected that option.

The TV found all the correct channels first go.

Just a thought, look at the TV's reception signal strength display.
Forgive me if I have the wrong name but bottom of the main menu list select Support (I think it's called), then "Self Diagnosis", then "Signal information". It tells you Strength and bitrate errors of your signal.

Hope you get it sorted

Jevan

Have you got an indoor aerial that you can try just to eliminate the original areial from the equation, I think you should get a signal, however patchy or pixelated.
I had a really rubbish 10+ year old indoor aerial that I tried for interest, it still got a signal although the picture kept freezing.

If you could access the "Signal Information" page you can observe the signal strength by holding the aerial in your hand and altering angle and direction.
I noticed a change fom a 50 percent reading to 100 percent reading while still having a picture.

I think you should definately have access to the Signal Information page on your TV, and the fact it is blanked out means no signal is being received.

Jevan

Final thought, the source list in main menu, page 30 on my mannual.

Ensure it is set to TV (in my case) or what ever is correct for you.

amorphous

Standard Member
what is odd is that when i unplugg te tv from the arial it doesnt find any channels and when i do use the arial i find 12 anaogue channels with decent quality image.

ill see if i can get an indoor arial to try

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
what is odd is that when i unplugg te tv from the arial it doesnt find any channels and when i do use the arial i find 12 anaogue channels with decent quality image.

That suggests then that all is working as it should be; you must have either a) poor digital reception or b) need a Digital Wideband Aeriel.

A normal analogue aeriel (especially in a poor signal area) will only pick up some of the muxes thereby giving you a limited number of channels.

With no aeriel plugged in do not expect a picture from digital TV, the current low digital signal strenth will simply show up as no signal.

paulr2006

Distinguished Member

That suggests then that all is working as it should be; you must have either a) poor digital reception or b) need a Digital Wideband Aerial.

A normal analogue aerial (especially in a poor signal area) will only pick up some of the muxes thereby giving you a limited number of channels.

With no aerial plugged in do not expect a picture from digital TV, the current low digital signal strenth will simply show up as no signal.

MarkE19

paulr2006, I think you need to be careful with the terms you are using to describe TV aerials as you could be confusing some members of the forum. There is no such thing as a digital or analogue aerial, a TV aerial is a TV aerial and they can all receive the digital and analogue signals. Even a wideband aerial is not the correct generic type required for Freeview, it all depends on the transmitter as to what is required. Some transmitters use different groups for analogue and digital and in these cases a wideband aerial is the corredct type to get. I am on the Crystal Palace transmitter that is Group A for both analogue and digital, but wideband aerials are the least sensitive to the Group A signals and are therefore not the best for me. In most cases to receive the best signal for Group A requires a Group A specific aerial such as the Yagi 18A that I have.

Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...

Latest News

Sky seals Studiocanal movie deal
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
iFi Audio launches iDSD Diablo DAC/Headphone amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy Buds Pro
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy S21, S21+ and S21 Ultra smart phones
  • By Andy Bassett