1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Urgent help please

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Iancity, Nov 21, 2001.

1. Iancity

Iancity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    SONY 32FQ75
    TV is due to be returned Friday. It has been away for three weeks and is being returned as engineers are unable to find any fault, and the service menu says no error has occurred - yet it has !
    Tv goes bright blue and then into standby and LED flashes 5 times. Engineer says Sony are unable to confirm what the 5 flashes mean and they have had the set on every day from 9-5 for 3 weeks and no probs - yet I have explained that the problem generally happens over a prolonged viewing period i.e. The weekend. Engineer not prpared to test overnight as not insured!!
    This has happened on three occasions for me and just KNOW that when I get the set back it will go off again.
    Could it be anything I am doing - I have an amp,dvd and video all connected but everything else works, no faults in power supply etc.
    Where do I stand now, I know the TV is faulty yet engineer says nothing they can do. I have wrote to Sony and Hi-Spek (supplier) and await their answers but in the meantime has anybody got any ideas (gaurantee runs out in 3 weeks) . .

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,909
    I had an intermittent fault with a Sony TV. Have you got, or can you borrow, a video camera?

If yes, I suggest...

1) Write to Sony explaining your current position and ask them to acknowledge that, if the same fault recurs, they WILL honour their guarantee.

2) Point your video camera at the TV and record the picture. Use the resulting tape as evidence when you recall the engineer.

I did exactly this. My TV actually went back to Sony at Thatcham and the engineer there found the tape useful in tracking down the fault. It also helps prove that you aren't imagining things....

3. gedclink

gedclink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :D This happened to me with a sony video..

Kept on switching itself off with a tape inside and effectively it appeared to be " rebooting " as several odd messages scrolled across the LCD display...

It was 10 - 11 months old and it went back to Scottish Power twice..They couldn't find a fault and returned it to me.

They were VERY reluctant to agree to repairing it outside of the 12 months warranty but as I indicated to them, it was obviously faulty and the sale of goods law didn't rely on them making that judgement. i.e
    an engineer spending 10 minutes looking for an intermittent fault that only appeared every day or two is bound not to find it..

Get a WRITTEN guarantee that should state they will repair the appliance if it fails in the following 6 months as they couldn't find the obvious fault under the official guarantee period