Urgent help - new member

leejayjay

Standard Member
Hi there everyone,

Firstly many appologies for being such a new member but I am in a bit of a dilema and really need any help.

I recently purchased Bose 301 Direct/Reflecting Speaker system

the link is here for more details

http://www.bose.co.uk/GB/en/home-and-personal-audio/speakers/stereo-speakers/301-speakers/

Now basically I have an apple mac laptop and a windows computer and I know I need a 2 channel amplifier.

Can anyone suggest a suffienct amplifier which would easily out put the watts of the speaker as far as I can see are 10-150watts per channel what ever this means :lease: im not good on amps or things like that

and where to buy one many thanks

Jay Jay

dante01

Distinguished Member
Hi there everyone,

Firstly many appologies for being such a new member but I am in a bit of a dilema and really need any help.

I recently purchased Bose 301 Direct/Reflecting Speaker system

the link is here for more details

http://www.bose.co.uk/GB/en/home-and-personal-audio/speakers/stereo-speakers/301-speakers/

Now basically I have an apple mac laptop and a windows computer and I know I need a 2 channel amplifier.

Can anyone suggest a suffienct amplifier which would easily out put the watts of the speaker as far as I can see are 10-150watts per channel what ever this means :lease: im not good on amps or things like that

and where to buy one many thanks

Jay Jay

It means the speakers need at least 10 watts to power them, but you must not continually power them with anything more than 150 watts. You can use an amp that has a rating higher than 150 watts as long as you don't turn the volume to its max and leave it like that. Any amp with a power rating up to 150 watts will be fine.

leejayjay

Standard Member
umm anything up 130£ max 150£

many thanks for the advice so should i get an amp which goes up to about 200w per channel ? for instance?

dante01

Distinguished Member
umm anything up 130£ max 150£

many thanks for the advice so should i get an amp which goes up to about 200w per channel ? for instance?

Yes, that would be fine. Just listen out for any distortion and as soon as you hear any ease off the volume.

It is pretty hard to blow speakers and most people are running speakers with a lower handling wattage than the rated output of their amp. You really do need to be heavy handed with the volume to cause most speakers damage.

You do realise this particular forum deals with AV amps don't you? Are you wanting an AV amp or just a dedicated stereo amp?

Last edited:

leejayjay

Standard Member
Sorry I really don't know the difference, I just got told if I was to hook my laptop up to the speakers I would need an amp in between the laptop and speakers

shall i post on a different area

dante01

Distinguished Member
Sorry I really don't know the difference, I just got told if I was to hook my laptop up to the speakers I would need an amp in between the laptop and speakers

shall i post on a different area

Depends. How are you planning on connecting the laptop to the amp? The type of intended connection may determine the type of amp you'll need? Regular stereo amps seldom have digital inputs such as S/PDIF optical. Your budget would be very limited if buying an AV amp though.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
An AV amp is one that deals with both audio and video. They also end to be multichannel and will give surround sound with TV/blurays etc. With your budget you should really look to get a stereo amp unless you plan to go for surround sound in the future. The budget you have will only get you a bottom of the range amp which will not be great for the money. I doubt you will get a 200W per channel stereo amp with your budget either so do not worry about that (as long as it is above 10W per channel you should be fine). Your laptop will probably have a headphone output so you may need to use that unless you buy an external DAC and stereo amp but with your limited budget that will be tough.

dante01

Distinguished Member
I suggest you look at Cambridge Audio integrated stereo amps. You'll not get an optical input, but your PC should also have an analogue audio output of some description? If it hasn't then you can use a very basic Digital to Analogue Convertor (DAC) such as this one:

CYP AU-D3 Digital To Analogue Converter With FREE DCSk: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

You can add a beeter quality external DAC at a later stage if you so wish. You can pay hundreds on just a DAC, but this may not be a priority for you?

Here an example of a Cambridge Audio amp that should suit your budget:
Cambridge Audio TOPAZ AM1 Black | Stereo Amplifier | Richer Sounds

or
Cambridge Audio TOPAZ AM5 Black | Stereo Amplifier | Richer Sounds

or if you don't mind going slightly over budget then there are these amps worth considering:
Cambridge Audio TOPAZ AM10 Black | Stereo Amplifier | Richer Sounds

or
Marantz PM5004 Black | Stereo Amplifier | Richer Sounds

or
Cambridge Audio AZUR 550A Black | Stereo Amplifier | Richer Sounds

Last edited:

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Why are you looking at a 12V car amp? That is not what you want for a home environment.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom