Urgent help needed!

lrac79

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi
I am in the process of creating my hc room. I have boxed it out with stud work and boarded one side (I can still install wires at the min) problem is I thought I had another week to sort the cabling but it turns out the plasterer is arriving tomorrow! Seems I got my cables crossed!
I have run the speaker wire round, and the twin and earth for all the sockets required. I have just put in 1no hdmi cable. I was planning on plugging the hdmi cable into my amp and tv and running everything thru the amp I.e. Sky box, blu ray and x box etc. Question is can you think of anything else I need in the walls before they get plastered?
Any help would really be appreciated

Thanks!

Sounds like you have it covered. Are you putting the sub cable into the wall as well?

PSM1 thank you so much for the quick response! I don't have a sub as yet, do the power cables have the same connections or do they differ from brand to brand? Good call on the sub cable by the way

I would just wire a socket where the sub is going so you can plug any sub in if you want.

'I have just put in 1no hdmi cable' - HDMI cables (especially ones which are buried in walls) have a nasty habit of breaking or being broken, ensure you have a Plan B in place.

'Question is can you think of anything else I need in the walls before they get plastered?' - a Conduit with a pull cord to the TV (see above), CAT6 to the TV for a wired network connection, CAT6 to the TV as your Plan B, CAT6 to the AV kit for a wired Network connection.

How long is the HDMI cable from the AVR to the TV?

Joe

Thanks again PSM1, I have a socket in the centre of the wall at 450mm height which I could use for the sub

Hi Joe, thanks for the response! I have googled cat6 cables, I will install some conduit this morning, some of the cat 6 cable have a connection at each end while others don't. I assume I want a Ethernet connection? Also, daft question but what is the cat6 cable for?
Thanks again!

CAT6 - can be used to connect kit to your Network or with suitable Extenders can be used to run HDMI (or pretty much any AV) signal so it is a low cost 'backup' for most situations.

I'd go with pre-terminated cables unless you have the proper crimp tools and good crimp skills.

Ensure you avoid the low cost CCA (Copper Clad Aluminium) crap - you want non-screened (UTP), solid core, non-CCA from a reputable supplier - we use Black Box GigaTrue cable.

Joe

I have 3 HDMI cables run to my TV despite only needing one due to the receiver doing the switching. You can't cover every contingency but if you've got space and it's not expensive then go belt and braces as far as you can!

Thanks again Joe, I have had the main wall plastered today, but I can still access the cavity from the other side of the wall as they didn't manage to get that part plastered, which is a relief as this now gives me time to source the cat6 cable. I will try and get them from black box as recommended

Hi Martimu, thanks for taking the time to respond. I think I will install a lesser quality 2nd hdmi cable as the one I just put in cost me £80. I think currys are doing a deal on their gold cable buy one get one free but again I think they were around 100. can you recommend a good quality cable on a budget?

Thanks again!

Thanks again Joe, I have had the main wall plastered today, but I can still access the cavity from the other side of the wall as they didn't manage to get that part plastered, which is a relief as this now gives me time to source the cat6 cable. I will try and get them from black box as recommended

Hi Martimu, thanks for taking the time to respond. I think I will install a lesser quality 2nd hdmi cable as the one I just put in cost me £80. I think currys are doing a deal on their gold cable buy one get one free but again I think they were around 100. can you recommend a good quality cable on a budget?

Thanks again!
Welcome: I just used amazon basics. AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI Cable 2 m: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics Just a good sturdy cable is all you need nothing fancy. Though doesn't seem to be available any more something similar will be fine

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
How long is the hdmi cable you are installing?
If your planning on using it for 4K longer lengths are very hit and miss if they work or not!

Hi db950, thanks for responding!
I have used a 3mtr hdmi cable, is classed as a long cable?
Thanks!

You should be ok with a 3mtr hdmi as long as it is specced as 'high speed' and capable of 18gbps the problems start at 7-8 mtrs and longer!

Without wishing to sound like an over dramatic hysteric, I'd put at least one spare of everything behind the wall. It relatively cheap insurance against a rip out when something goes wrong.

There is no need to spend more than £20 for a hdmi cable and probably closer to £10. Anything more is a waste and will give you no benefits.

Thanks PSM1, it seems that I may of been mis informed at currys regarding the importance of the hdmi cable that's why I opted for the bells and whistles one. I will pop over today and pick another more affordable cable up.

Paul, thanks for your input. I agree thinking about it if one were to fail then I would find myself in the smelly brown stuff!

Thanks again!

If you do not need the cable today then buy online since all cables in Currys are overpriced. There is a lot of misinformation on hdmi cables but as long as you get a high speed one you are fine and a £10 cable will perform exactly the same as a £100 or more one.

Thanks, I have txt the plasterer to see what his plan for Monday is, hopefully he will be carrying on with the room rather than starting on the external wall. If this is the case I will buy online, thanks for the link also

Project so far!

Attachments

• IMG_2720.JPG
    IMG_2720.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 86
  • IMG_2721.JPG
    IMG_2721.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 82
  • IMG_2728.JPG
    IMG_2728.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 79
  • IMG_2720.JPG
    IMG_2720.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 84
  • IMG_2721.JPG
    IMG_2721.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 82
  • IMG_2729.JPG
    IMG_2729.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 88
Hi again, I'm getting a little bit ahead of my self now but, in terms of gear, what would you recommend? I already have the following in my living room which I could use for my main set up in the new hc
2x monitor audio rs8
2x monitor audio rs1
1x monitor audio rslcr centre
The amp is a really old arcam avr250

I have run cable in my ceiling for speakers as well as around the floor so I could go for a 5.1.2 set up, is this the best option? I know I need a new amp so any recommendations would be helpful? I have been told that the speakers are fine to use, do you agree? Any advice on a tv? I can go up to a 65". The room is 4mtr x 4mtr.
Thanks again!

The rs speakers should be fine but may not like being in the corner as they can be a little fussy with placement. Are you wall mounting the centre? If so then put some wood braces in the wall to attach mount to. With atmos you need to get speakers in right place. The surrounds are at ear level so you will need some space from the rs1 to the sofa. For the ceiling ones go for the configuration you can manage with your room layout. Best not to squeeze in 4 if you can not place them correctly.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom