• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Urgent help needed PM for Panny TH42PX80B

germalene

Standard Member
Hi I really hope someone can help me.

The other day I was in my local Curry's and saw a Panasonic TH42PX80B on display for £649. I have been researching this tv for ages so knew it was a great deal. I asked the assistant to check the price and they confirmed it, but I was surprised and even asked them if they were sure as it had been £899. When I got home I checked online and it was still £899 online. :confused: I went back in a few times and each time I asked is it this price and they confirmed. I checked the labels and the tv said TH42PX80B but the price label said TH42PX8B. The manual was out also for the 80B. Today I went back in and bought it but made a point of saying 'is it definitely the 80B as the price label here says 8B' to which the assistant said it was the same tv they must have just typed it wrong in the system. I wasn't so sure.

We got the tv home and I opened it straight away to check the manual and rear sticker and it is the TH42PX8B, and since checking on here I have realised it is a lower spec model - I wasn't sure if it was a slightly different model number because of being sold through Curry's as sometime they are different. I phoned to complain and they said I could take it back but would have to pay the difference, to which I told them where to go and said I'd have the 80B at the price they advertised or have no tv as I can buy it cheaper elsewhere. Anyway, manager comes online and agrees if I can find somewhere selling the 80B for the price I paid (£649) then he can put the 80B through as a price match otherwise they can't do anything :)nono: don't think that's right but...).

So, I told them I'm pretty sure Sound & Vision have it for £669 but is there anywhere (not online) selling it for £649??

Any help greatly appreciated and if anyone has any proof of it being £669 in S&V and could message me that would be greatly appreciated :D It has taken months to convince my husband we 'need' this tv so to lose it now would be gutting!!

Thanks
Gemma

TomH01

Standard Member
The Panasonic TH42PX80B is £653.90 on the sound and vision website at the moment, that's also the price that they sell it in store.

Tom

germalene

Standard Member
Thanks both for this...they do do price matching but it annoys me that if I couldn't come up with a price match then they reckon I'd have to pay the difference even though they had advertised it incorrectly! Just as well this site has come up trumps as usual :clap: Thanks!!

Unfortunately I don't think Panasonic offer the 5year guarantee unless you buy through and independant retailer...at least that's what an independant retailer told me today :-( I'm presuming JL's guarantee is their own?

Gemma

Astraeus

JL's guarantee is their own and, as far as I'm aware, Panasonic offer the 5-year warranty on all sets purchased in-store and not over the internet.

Julie

Etienne A

... but it annoys me that if I couldn't come up with a price match then they reckon I'd have to pay the difference even though they had advertised it incorrectly! ...

Actually something similar happened to a friend a couple of years ago - turns out the shop is not legally obliged to honour a price advertised by mistake! Some do it to keep the customers happy - some don't as they know they will sell the set at it's actual price in the next 10 minutes !! Ah well!

germalene

Standard Member
Thanks, I agree the 5 year guarantee is good however I'm moving country next year so would have to bring the tv all the way back to benefit from it which would cost more!!

Re the pricing problem, it is just as well I can do the price matching as I'm not nice when angry :D (note this is hulk green). I'm just concerned that other people have purchased it after having read the manual on display and then taken home a lower spec model and not realised :eek: as if the shop staff don't even know the difference your average joe bloggs won't pick it up...

Gemma

markrl

Good old Curry's DSG up to thier old tricks again :nono:

As a matter of interest what was the difference in specification between the two models?

Syphonic

There is a difference here...

If the shops says 'This TV is £699' you go to the till to buy it and it is actually £899 they don't have to honour it (though most customers will swear blind they do). It's called an 'invitation to treat'. Basically the shop is inviting you to offer to buy the item at a set price, however they do not have to accept your offer.

However, if you said to the salesman 'this is definately the PX80 I'm getting' they said yes then sent out a PX8B then you have a case because you have been actively mis-sold it. Like a car salesman saying 'It's the 2 litre' you get it home, open the manual whatever and find out it's only a 1.6.

Differences between the sets off the top of my head:
Lower contrast
Only 2xHDMI
No SD Card Slot
Matte finish to the bezel not gloss.

germalene

Standard Member
Yes I agree and I did actually ask that question and was told the difference in model no. was because someone had typed it into the system wrong.

The other difference is there is no VGA connection so you can't plug in a pc/laptop. There is also a difference with contrast ratio though there is varied feedback on this so I'm not quite sure what the difference is.

Gemma

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom