1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

URGENT HELP NEEDED!!! Panny DMRE85...

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bodgery, Mar 1, 2005.

1. bodgery

bodgery
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I've ordered a Panny DMRE85 (it's due to arrive today), but after reading posts on this site (which sadly I didn't spot until after ordering) I'm worried! Here's why:

1) Seems like it's VERY SLOW and potentially hugely annoying as a result;

2) Might be noisy.

Can someone put my mind at rest, or should I just go with my alternative solution of Toshiba SD340 player + some sort of PVR like a Humax.

I've read it's slow on startup and slow to recognise/start playing a DVD when you put one it, plus reinitialises after leaving the navigator menu???

The urgency is because I might be able to stop the delivery this morning and change to something else.

I hope someone out there can help!!!!

Cheers

Bodgery

2. tykent

tykent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Hi

I have a DMR-E85 and have not noticed a noise problem. It is slow to power up and off (about 30 seconds) and takes a while to load a disc.

I feel however these are minor annoyances when compared overall with the product.

Ty

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I have the DMRE-95, and I've yet to hear any noise. The machine will be slow to startup, because it has to initialise the hard drive.

4. bodgery

bodgery
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does it initialise during operation, or just on power up?

Do you leave it on all the time? I assume it has a standby mode, rather than total power off? Assuming it does, does it still need to initialise?

I feel a little better...!!!

5. tykent

tykent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I leave mine on all the time as my SKY+ passes through it to my plasma. The HDD will go to sleep but only takes a few seconds to wake up.

6. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,744
    I've not noticed any noise from mine either

7. StuartW

StuartW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have the 55. No noticable noise. Power on/off times are 30ish seconds, not too much of an issue.

8. adrianl

adrianl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Start-up is about 30-45 secs from 'cold'. You don't have to set it to standby though as drive sleeps by itself. Mine gets turned off only because it's smart-linked to TV so it powers down when TV set to standby.

DVDs take a few seconds longer to be recognised than by normal player but not an issue.

Noise non-existent, other than fans whirr for a few seconds when it begins to finalise a recorded dvd. I find this noise quite reassuring in telling me things are happening OK!

If you leave 'navi' menu by pressing 'return' then it doesn't go to standby. I didn't realise this when I first got it and would press the 'navi' button again which would set it to standby.

Overall a brilliant machine - never realised how valuable the HDD/DVD capability would be both for tidying up recordings and for archiving. Richer Sounds were doing the multi-region at £299 last weekend! I was happy to pay almost double that (though I got £250 off as part of a John Lewis deal).

9. bodgery

bodgery
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well thanks for all the feedback! Machine arrived, just set it up and........what was I worrying about!!! First impressions are what a fantastic bit of kit!!

Bye for now