Urgent help needed!! Advice on mid-range digital compact cameras

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by spanky2k, Mar 14, 2006.

1. spanky2k

spanky2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Hi!

Ok, the time's really running out on this one. My girlfriend leaves for India to go travelling for eight weeks on Wednesday morning, early. She really wants to take a digital camera with her and so she bought an Acer 5mp jobby off of eBay. She got it cheap but it was scratched and was obviously not 'new' as was advertised. Also the battery life on standard AAs is absolutely shocking. 5-10 minutes, no joke. So I'm going to try to get it sent back for her.

Now she wants to get a new one tomorrow from a high street shop. It has to be a high street shop because tomorrow's the only day we have. She's looking at getting a Pentax Optio 50L for about £105. Now, I love her, so I'm willing to at a max double that amount to fork out for something decent. I just know she'll be disappointed with anything too cheap because she's used to the camera's that her friends have that cost significantly more and I don't want her to be disappointed with yet another purchase and like I said, I love her!

So, what I'm looking for is the following:
    At least 4-5 megapixels
    Lithium Ion (well basically not AA) battery with a really good battery life
    3x Optical zoom
    SD Memory
    All for about £220 from high street shops, Jessops, Dixons etc. (after haggling)

It has to be SD memory because she just bought a 1GB SD card off of eBay for an amazing price in order to use in the Acer and I'd really like to reuse it. I think Jessops will be the way to go but as far as cameras go, I'm really out of touch and I don't really have all that much time to find out about all of this. I only want to go for top or decent brands, no more cheapo stuff. Oh, and if it looks cute then that'd be a lovely feature!!

If I'm asking for too much just let me know although I don't think £220 after haggling is unreasonable for the kind of thing I'm looking for, is it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Spanky

2. spanky2k

spanky2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I've just discovered that using pixmania.co.uk's London store pick-up service I could possibly get a really good deal tomorrow simply by heading over there. I'm in London at the moment so this could be worth it. Here's a list of the cameras they have there:

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/pr-products/ukuk_4.html?itag=6095#

The Nikon Coolpix S2 looks rather nice at only £177 although I'm a bit worried that it only charges through USB (via the base station) and doesn't come with an AC adapter.

3. midtones

midtones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    See if these 2 have all the features you need. The OIS is nice :)

Jessops:

PANDMCFX8 PANASONIC LUMIX DMC FX8 DIGITAL CAMERA £179.99

PANDMCLZ2S PANASONIC LUMIX DMC LZ2 DIGITAL CAMERA £199.99

Stick in the product code in the search bit and the should come up.

K.

4. jckm2000

jckm2000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Go for the lumix FX8 not the FX9 (fx8 has better PQ) and the pentax is crap in low light situations, it's not a good camera.

Jon.