Urgent Help. Need to decide on a Camcorder within 24 hours

• Thread starter Deleted member 92943
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 92943

Hi there i have a dilema

I am going to a 'Heroes' (TV show) appearnace on Friday morning and have now decided i want to get a camcorder to record what happens.

I'll end up buying from some where like Jessops but i don't mind paying a bit more (i always haggle them down:D) If it means i can pick one up on Thursday.

I'm looking for something around the £300-£350 mark. Either DVD or HDD camcorder. It needs to be very small and portable but also pack good features.

Not interested in still photos.
Widescreen would be nice
A decent Optical Zoom (i don't know what's considered as good)

I see the SONY ones cover alot of my Criteria but what models are good and should i be looking at?

If i can get an idea of a few good models then i can take them and see what they have in the stores

Sorry to be so blunt but i've only decided this last minute:D

senu

Distinguished Member
Sorry to be blunt as well..:D
Give the DVD camcorders a miss.
If you must Buy an HDD model.. also avoid the "ultrabudget" JVC and Sony models..
Youll find that you are trading "small and light " for good quality. At that price range features are unlikely not to be sparce
I dont have model nos but if you find that you cannot get a "Mid range" model for your budget.. you might want to give one of the Panasonic miniDV models (if you can find them) a second look

redsox_mark

Distinguished Member
I agree with Senu.... your budget only affords a HDD camera near the bottom of the range, with a small single sensor... quality of these are not as good as a similar priced miniDV model.

I suggest either spending more and getting something like the Sony SR190... or within your budget go miniDV with a Panasonic GS320.

D

Deleted member 92943

I guess they are fair points.

If people could give me more help on what type of MiniDV models i should be looking for that would be great.

If push comes to shove and nothing decent is available for my budget then i'll have to see about borrowing one off a family member

redsox_mark

Distinguished Member
S150 is a good camcorder, and an alternative to the Sony SR190 I mentioned, but I've not seen it in the £300-£350 price range (more like £500).

The GS320 is similar (if not a bit better) in terms of video quality and is available within budget (£323).

I guess it depends on the OP's definition of "very small and portable", and if the GS320 is small enough... and how flexible that budget is. Also do you want to to extensive editing on a PC, or do you want the picking and choosing clips off the memory card (and not so much PC editing).

rhubarbe

Banned
SDR-S150 is £420 if you buy from Germany. You get the odd one on eBay for £325-£350 but not very often. I did misread his budget. :eek:

D

Deleted member 92943

Yep London eye at 12.30 Friday for a cast appearnace although i bet i don't get an auto. Hayden and Jack are also appearing at LFCC on sunday but are charging for their auto

Monopot

Yep London eye at 12.30 Friday for a cast appearnace although i bet i don't get an auto. Hayden and Jack are also appearing at LFCC on sunday but are charging for their auto

OH OH OH!!! Think I am going to feel "sick" :smashin: on Friday....<cough> yep here it comes, better take the day of to visit my Dr in London town

:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom