1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Urgent help - Chipped TV Screen...

Discussion in 'TVs' started by PerryP, Nov 12, 2001.

1. PerryP

PerryP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My youngest child(2 years old) decided to attack our Sony KV-32FD1E when watching the lion king, with a plate she was eating her dinner off. The result is that the glass tube has some bad chips all over the screen.
    My house insurance covers accidental damage to audio equipment however the repair bill which comes to around £1000 involves fitting a new tube.

Will this mean that all the geometry settings that I have spent ages setting up will all have to be reset for the new tube? I have read that fitting a new tube requires a very skilled technician and most people have advised me not to get the tube replaced as I may have geometry problems that will take ages to put right. Is this correct?

Also the insurance company have said that it may be possible for us to have a replacement TV. Now I want to stick to the Sony brand and the two models that appear to be very similar to the Sony KV-32FD1E are the KV-36FS70 and the Sony KV-32FQ75U. Any comments on these sets? I have read that the 36FS70 is the first Sony TV since the 32FD1E to really impress. Would this be the one to go for?

Any help/comments would be greatly appreciated asap as I will be getting a visit from the insurance company soon and the more info I have the better.

Many thanks in advance.

2. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Iv`e had the SONY KV36FS70 now for six months and still can`t belive the picture quality, it`s gobsmacking, the features on it are also very useful, RGB set up and PICTURE TILT are just two of them. Go get a demo, take a DVD with you and put the set through a good test, you won`t be dissapointed. 10/10

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/tes...estbench/Televisions/Sony/SonyKV-36FS70.shtml

If you need a more detailed review of this set just let us know what areas you are interested in.

;)

3. Iancity

Iancity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I dont know about the Sony 36 but I have the 32 FQ75u and have been nothing but dissapointed. Onto my 4th set in 8 months ( I say onto, although yet again its at the engineers - my main problems seem to be the tubes kkep blowing )! Having said that, put a thread on here to see if anybody else was having problems with this set and nonbody replied.

4. Paden

Paden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hello PerryP!
    Whatever you do don't agree to have the tube changed!
    Had the same problem with the same set a couple of years ago & had a years grief after the tube was changed endeavouring to get it set up correctly.
    It gives me palpitations just thinking back to it!
    I ended up with a new set, one of the last of the FD1's.
    However much you like your FD1, go for a new set!
    Good luck!
    Cheers, Paul.

5. PerryP

PerryP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to everyone for the info provided.

Seeing my insurance policy has a like for like cover, I think I will push for a new set. Seeing that the 36FS70 appears to be the successor to the 32FD1, I think this will be the model to go for. As my current tv cost me around £2100 when new, a couple of years ago, I don't see there being a problem with replacing my tv with the 36FS70, the cost being about the same.

I am very nervous indeed about getting the tube replaced on the 32FD1, I have heard nightmare stories and with me more or less happy with the geometry at the moment, a replacement tube looks like it will cause nothing but trouble.

When the insurance guy calls round, I will stress that I do not want the tube changed whatsoever and insist on a replacement tv which will be the 36FS70.

Has anyone else had any insurance cover stories similar to mine and had a successful outcome with the tv being replaced?

If the insurance company is going to go down the 'repair first and see what happens' scenario, should I stick to my guns and insist on a replacement. In my opinion, this will save a lot of hassle in the future as I would dread my tv coming back with a new tube!

Anyone got any technical info on why the tube should not be replaced?

Thanks.