Urgent Hard Drive Help Needed!

Suave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a June 2010 17" 2.66 i7 UMBP. I need to buy an external HD ASAP (1TB) by lunch time today. I have no idea generally on HD's & get confused what to get as the choices are so many.

I would like to eventually replace the existing internal HD (500GB) with a 1TB one & would like to use the one I will buy today which I will have to use as an external one for backing up for the time being.

I know some Western Digital Passport drives use to fit in the non Unibody ones but am not sure if they will fit in the 17" UMBP's. There are so many WD drives (& other makes) so I do not want to make a costly mistake. Can some please very kindly let me know of a decent external HD that will later fit in my notebook & at a good price?

I am really pushed for time & quite flustered so please help if you can!!

Suave!

Are you talking about getting an external USB drive whose *internal* HDD will fit your UMBP in the future?

As an external HDD, the WD Passport will fit any machine with a USB port. It's internal HDD is a 2.5" SATA and should fit a Mac laptop - as is the case with many off-the-shelf 2.5" SATA drives.

Are you talking about getting an external USB drive whose *internal* HDD will fit your UMBP in the future?

As an external HDD, the WD Passport will fit any machine with a USB port. It's internal HDD is a 2.5" SATA and should fit a Mac laptop - as is the case with many off-the-shelf 2.5" SATA drives.

Hi,

Yes, that is exactly what I mean - I would like 1TB? Can you recommend me a good WD Passport external HD whose *Internal* will later fit inside a 17" 2.66 i7 Unibody MBP? Do you know which ones fit & which one is the best?

Thanks,

Suave!

I don't use HDD sizes that large for laptops - the "eggs in one basket" possibility scares me.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom