URGENT!! DV27A advice please

Shaka

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I originally posted a query on the back of this thread:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181304
but I now need urgent advice, as I've managed to locate a dv27a and need to make an urgent decision on whether to buy it or not. If I'm not quick I may lose out. It's an ex-display unit, and I've been told it's in excellent condition and comes with 2years warranty, for £999.

My query was:
I was wondering if anyone has experience of comparing the DV27A against the Denon 3910.
I only have a CRT display with SCART RGB so component and HDMI are not a priority for me at the moment, but when I do get a plasma/lcd in the future, I'd like to be able to make use of the superior connections. As the DV27A doesn't have HDMI, how much of a loss in picture quality would that be over the HDMI connection of the Denon? Is HDMI that much more better than component?
I already have an AVR300, so the DV27A seems like the obvious choice, but I don't want to be left with outdated technology when similar priced models are offering future-proof choices.
CD playback isn't important either as I'd be connecting it to my Tri-vista DAC. However DVD-A is of interest. With Denon's i-Link, would DVD-A sound better than the DV27A?

Please give me your views on the above and whether you think this is good buy/wise investment.

Shaka said:
Is HDMI that much more better than component?

I recently looked at an Arcam DV29 and had the pleasure of testing it via component and HDMI. I have to admit that you'd have to look pretty damn hard to find the difference between the two. This is testament to how good a job the Arcam engineers have done on the component side. However the test was done on a 43" plasma, if it was done on a projector the difference may have been more pronounced.

Haven't seen the Denon 3910 via HDMI, only component, but comparing component of both machines I would put my money down on the Arcam. Plus the Arcam has much better cd replay imo.

get the arcam

plus, i believe the FMJ warranties are transferable, so i don't see why you coudln't get the 5 year with it

If the DV27a is only exdemo rather than second hand then you will get the full 5 year warrenty. I know this as I previously bought an exdemo DV27 and did get the full 5 year warrenty.
~£1000 is the going rate for an exdemo DV27a, so I would suggest you grab it while you can - assuming it is in excellent condition that is.

Mark.

IMHO, I don't believe that you'll get a better DVD player for £999, great picture, great build, great sound (CD&DVD). From what I've seen re HDMI I'm not convinced that its that big a leap forward over very good component. Don't forget that the DV27A has the SIL504 which is considered one of the best de-interlacers out there, I would say better than the faroujda in the Denon. The Denon is an excellent player, you just have to weigh up how much you value HDMI now when Blu-ray or HD-DVD will replace DVD in the next couple of years and you will be in the same boat again...........perhaps (upgraditis :devil: )

my 2p worth ;)

HTh
John

doesn't it have the SIL503 de-interlacer ?? It doesn't mean much to me but I remember downloading a few reviews for it (dv27A not dv27) and I'm sure a couple of them said it has SIL503. I don't know what difference, if any, this would make.
As I already mentioned, HDMI is not of any use to me at the moment. I was just considering the option of having it when I get a plasma/lcd later this year, and whether it was leaps and bounds better than component.
It's a shame that I can't demo it as my local 7oaks don't have it.
Do you think £999 is a fair price for a ex-display model? They say it's in good condition and are offering 2 years warranty and will post it via 48-hour courier for £20.

Shaka said:
Do you think £999 is a fair price for a ex-display model? They say it's in good condition and are offering 2 years warranty and will post it via 48-hour courier for £20.
See my previous post.

Also if you get them to post it you are very lucky as Arcam don't allow their products to be sold via mail order/internet.

Mark.

I am pretty sure the 27A has the Sil504 unti inside it.
Unusual to find a place willing to post Arcam's.Wish I could!!

With regards to the warranty I was also sure fmj units got a 5 year warranty?

MarkE19 said:
Also if you get them to post it you are very lucky as Arcam don't allow their products to be sold via mail order/internet.

That's not true at all. Arcam are perfectly happy for me to send their goods out to a customer, particularly if they know what they want and it is inconvenient for them to travel to the store to collect. What they do insist on is that all dealers must have a high standard of demonstration facilities and the ability to demonstrate any of their products and it is this requirement that rules out any mail order only or internet based firms selling their products.

You will see this happen with more and more companies who want to make sure that the customer can only be dealt with by professional people who care about the product and know how to demonstrate it properly. This year Marantz are stopping supplying any of their products to mail order and internet companies as part of their new dealer agreement and I couldn't be happier about it. It means that dealers like myself will be able to make a decent living in this business and not have to keep dropping prices to compete with internet retailers and whilst still retaining the same level of customer service that internet retailers cannot compete with.

Well IIRC when the end of line DV88's etc were being sold off by whoever it was they would only post it if you paid for it in person.
Also when I bought my DV29 I had to go to 7Oaks and pick it up. Even after buying it in the shop they would not deliver it to me, and as I don't drive it was a heavy product to carry home.

Mark.

They were available for £950 new a few months back but if no one is offering that deal anymore and assuming it's in perfect condition I would still by an ex demo for £999 if I didn't already have one!

Dv89/78/27A would be nice :smashin:

What prices we got for them?

You can Pm me if you like.... :)

Shaka said:
doesn't it have the SIL503 de-interlacer ?? It doesn't mean much to me but I remember downloading a few reviews for it (dv27A not dv27) and I'm sure a couple of them said it has SIL503. I don't know what difference, if any, this would make................................................

I thought it was the Sill504 but you could be right about it being the 503. IIRC there isn't a great deal of difference between the 2, although I'm sure someone will put me right on that :D

John

Posted by Engineer on another thread -

It doesn't make any difference which version you have (siI503 or SiI504). The 504 is simply a 0.18u version of the 503 with some slight differences to implementation (power supplies etc). In terms of performance, they are identical.
The only reason Silicon Image made the 504 was because the old 503 was on a 0.35u process and it was more convenient for them to go to 0.18 so they could use the same fab as for their other chips.

Guy, you're a mine of information ;)

philb said:
Dv89/78/27A would be nice :smashin:

What prices we got for them?

You can Pm me if you like.... :)

We don't have any DV89s or DV27As, they are not made any more but I can find out if Arcam have any left but I doubt it. The only people you are likely to get those machines from are those that bought a whole bunch just as they discontinued them. I can get you a DV78, DV79 or DV29.

I've been in touch with Overture who previously sold DV27A's for £950.00. Although they are currently sold out, they expect to obtain more stock at some point soon at the same price.

They seem happy to take reservations too.

I don't where they are going to get them from as I spoke to Arcam on Monday morning who told me they had no more DV27As at all and do not make them anymore.

I called Overture 2 days ago and didn't get a definitive reply about when they're going to get more in. The guy on the phone wouldn't even attempt to hazard a guess and just said phone next week and we'll see what happens...
This put me off a bit, so today I drove for over 2 hours to a 7oaks in Hull, who had an ex-demo available. I bought it and have just set it up and initial impressions are very positive :smashin: . Picture is a lot more detailed and I can't see any artefacts on a couple of the movies I tried, where I could previously with my old player.
e.g. opening sequence of 'Fellowship of the Ring", when there's only a black backdrop with the voiceover. I used to see dark greenish coloured squares popping up on the screen. Now all I see is a pure black backdrop. Unfortunately my TV only handles SCART so I can't try out the progressive scan signal :( Oh well, now I know what my next upgrade is.
It also plays my recorded audio CD-Rs, big bonus :D
I just need to try a few tests to see if I still need to keep my tri-vista 21 DAC for CD playback or if the DV27a can do just as good a job. Anybody have an experience in this area?
I'd also like to get a few DVD-A discs to see how good they sound, but obviously need to get the interconnects too (more money :rolleyes: )

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom