1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

URGENT! Desperately needs answers tonight

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by rimibar, Jan 10, 2005.

1. rimibar

rimibar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

:lease:

Am having a speaker cable upgrade install done at the moment. I very concerned about the installation of the speaker cables (Chord Carnival Silver Plus).

Should the writing on the cable read be written towards the speaker or away?

Thanks for your rapid responses. The installers come back tomorrow and it's my last chance to get them to fix it!!!!!!

Thanks a million!!!!!

Richard

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    The answer you need is in the QED Original thread, basically, it's of absolutely no consequence.

3. Karma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Many people believe it is of consequence...although not willing to enter into debate..I believe after listening tests that cables do have directionality.

I don't walk under ladders either!

Check out the Chord site, Richard, They reckon cable have directionality too!

http://www.chord.co.uk/chordweb/faq.htm

Sadly it is a case of listening to them though....so...stop computing....get a nice single malt (or whatever) and give a listen for a bit in each direction.

If you hear a difference, that's the way they should go.

Have fun, good luck

K

4. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    If this is something which worries you, simply make sure all the cable markings are pointing away from the amp.

Even those who believe cable is directional would not claim it makes a big difference. Ensuring your speakers are rigid is probably more important and making sure they are correctly placed to drive the room is even more important

5. rimibar

rimibar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for this. What annoys me is that I am paying £1800 for an install and the cables are already in, already plastered and in one case already concreted!!!! So now you know why I asked in such a desperate way. Once they're in they're permanently, and none of my kit is connected hence my need to throw the question to the forum. If I'm right then they have been put in incorrectly.

AAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH!

6. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Setting the equipment up correctly and getting the acoustics right will yield a huge difference compared to the direction of the speaker cable.

I found this quote for another thread and I hope it will put your mind to rest. Prof. Hawksford (Essex Echo) 1985,

(discussing direction cable) "...Such effects however, would appear to be in the domain of error of errors, and of an extremely subtle nature"

7. rimibar

rimibar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Set up is great - was as good as I was going to get with previous speaker cable. Did set up myself which was then further perfected by THX certified engineer.

This chord cable is the icing on the cake - hence my demand for absolute technical perfection.

If Chord believe in directionality, and they are after all the manufacturer, then the cable should be placed in the way it was intended.

Don't you agree?

Richard

8. Karma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I do agree. However it sounds that all has worked out, and you are pleased with the install.

Nice one. All that's left to worry about now is keeping up with the DVD's and CD's to play on it.

If you are anything like me, a trip to HMV etc can bankrupt me!

K

9. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    No, I do not agree ! Speaker cables carry AC signals which means that the electrons are travelling in two directions in the cable. If the cable is truly "unidirectional", then it will be a hinderance, not a help.

I don't want to be rude, but you look like the sort of person who spends a lot of money on snake oil ! :rolleyes: :)

10. BALLISTIX

BALLISTIX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If a cable is directional it would carry instructions stating such, or it would be stamped/marked on the cable sheath.
    If it made a difference the markings would be there for all to see, just like they are on some (but not all) vehicle tyres.

A load of twoddle if you ask me.

Regards
    Andy

P.S. Out of curiosity seeing as chord insist it matters, are their cables marked as directional?
    If not, looks like an own goal to me :rotfl: