1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Urgent assitance required! anyone use a Pro-V and Z1?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by hopdylan, Mar 26, 2003.

1. hopdylan

hopdylan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Am about to buy a pro-v for my z1 projector but would like to know if they work well together. Was thinking of using it for SKY viewing so would have the connection as follows;

Sky -> Keene RGB to Svideo Convertor -> Pro-v -> Sanyo Z1

Would this work well?

Thanks

Dylan

2. hopdylan

hopdylan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Anyone??

3. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi hopdylan,

Don't have a Z1, but seeing as no Z1 owner has a ProV or has but couldn't be ar$ed answering you're query, you're welcome to this at least !!

ProV output in VGA, SVGA and XGA mode - the latter is 1024x768 - and for the AE100 is the best option. If you have access to a PC, send an XGA image to your Z1 (not just the desktop) and you'll get some idea of how the Z1 scales XGA to 960x540. The AE100 does it ok, but only OK imo - need to get it to lock on pretty hard to the XGA signal, and even at that there's more vertical banding than I would like. But using Svid thru ProV is better than Svid on its own, and is a pretty close run thing compared to component vid (although the cables I used to experiment with this were fairly sh!!Te, tbh).

It really does a pretty good job on TV signal tho', some here have gotten v. good results with Sky Digital - I don't have this so can't comment. It fairly sensitive to signal quality but on cable, the digital source channels (4Extra and Sky, for instance) really shine.

Hope this helps, it's well worth a punt at secondhand price.

Sean G.

4. hopdylan

hopdylan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    theritz- thanks for the reply (most appreciated as no-one else responded:rolleyes: )

I do have my PC linked up to my Z1 for watching avi files on it, and it seems to do a pretty good job at that - like you say it's probably worth a go for a second-hand unit and thats what i'm going to do - if it doesn't improve my picture i can always sell it on here ;)

thanks

Dylan

5. gingercat

gingercat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I think I must be in the minority with the ProV in that I didn't really like it. As it doesn't do proper 3:2 or 2:2 pulldown, some of the deinterlaced pictures actually look worse than their interlaced counterparts. :(

I was watching a Nascar race off Sky on my AE100 and the stripy crash barriers looked appaling (is that spelled correctly?) - juttering around nastily.

Also, I found it introduced lip-sync problems, the sound quite noticeably proceeded the picture which is one of my pet hates...:rolleyes:

This is all just my opinion, there are plenty happy ProV owners out there - but I only kept mine for 2 days before getting rid. Hope this helps.

6. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    Hi

I really wouldn't bother. Just connect your Sky box directly to the Z1 using RGB into the computer input.

The internal deinterlacer does a fine job. By adding the Pro-V you are adding a number of pointless image degrading steps:-

1) RGB->S-Video
    2) S-Video->RGB or YUV (inside the Pro-V)
    3) Pixel Scaling / Deinterlacing (inside the Pro-V)
    4) Pixel Scaling (again!) (inside the Projector)

Now *if* the Pro-V had an RGB input, and *if* it could output at the Z1's native resoultion I could see some point. As it does neither, I can't see how it can improve anything - only make things worse...

Just my 2p'th. Others may disagree!

Steve

7. hopdylan

hopdylan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the feedback everyone - it all seems pretty negative though :(

Still, i've bought the thing now so I will see what it's like when I get it and if it's crap i'll sell it on...

Dylan

8. RATMARK

RATMARK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dylan
    im almost at the same stage as you,ive decided on the z1 and the pro v was they way i was going to connect all things up

,except dvd which i was going to run straight to pj as its prog scan
    any info or details of how you find ithe pro v would be great
    How do you find the z1
    what distance is it from your screen and what size image are you getting etc
    My plans ar to ceiling mount ( betwwen 10/12 foot from screen ) or wall mount 16 foot from screen,seating area approx
    12 foot from screen
    :confused: