1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

URGENT: Are Plasmas susceptable to Amplifier Distortion

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by samhain, May 19, 2004.

1. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    As you all know, place an Amp like a Denon A1 or 11SR near a normal TV and there is interference, presumably from the huge transformer in these things.

Is this the same with a plasma.

I will have my Plasma sitting on top of a unit and underneath the DVD player Sky box etc will sit. I didn't think the AMP could sit under there as it may interfere with the picture.

It would be so much better if I could put the amp with everything else. I notice on the "Show us your Plasma" thread that loads of people seem to do this, but just wondered if there were carefully calculated distances involved or whether the fact that it is a Plasma will never cause a problem.

Advice please

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You must be thinking of magnetic effects. These obviously affact CRT's, it's how they produce a picture in the 1st place, but a plasma should be completely immune to this, though it's occsionally found that the video cables are not! If the video is led round the houses and cables behind the kit, tangled up with the mains power, then you might well see problems, but it's not actually the plasma.

3. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Yes the magnetic effect. Plasma's immune, that's what I like to hear.

Thank you

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    but amps are not necessarily immune to plasma.... having myself experienced that the plasma puts so much noise into the mains supply, take care in where everything is plugged in!

ad

5. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    That's very interesting mate, thanks. I think I would put the plasma plug into it's own socket and the amp into another socket. Relatively clean then.

Good enough ?

6. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Relatively clean, except that the local mains ring will be directly joining the plasma socket and amp socket!!! I wouldn't worry about it too much for now, but if you do think you're getting some interference once the thing's in treat yourself to some decent mains cables, they're a brilliant upgrade imo.

7. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122

I take it you mean cables that run behind the walls to the fuse box ?

8. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    You can replace the power leads for each individual component, the better leads will help isolate interference and improve conductivity. We have used Black Rhodium leads in the past and saw significant improvements in sound clarity on amps, clearer pictures on flat screens and projectors, and for the sake of a better phrase - more vibrant images from DVD players.

9. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    A plasma screen is like having a super computer in your front room! Seriously, it has an amazing amount of processing power, but is dedicated to one task - display.

Any computer will produce a certain amount of noise, and it's how much and how to contain that noise which is important. You'll notice that plasma screens are supplied with lumpy things which clip on to cables. These are "ferrite loads", an electronic noise absorber. These help prevent noise acting on your amplifier.

You also should use good quality leads between all your systems. Poorly shielded cables are just asking for trouble. Physical separation of systems also helps.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.