1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

URGENT all PLV30 owners this is important!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Crocodile JD, Jun 8, 2003.

1. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    PLV 30 owners

jimdy a new member here has come to us with some disturbing news. His lamp has gone after just 900 hours. He may just have been unlucky, but on approaching the Sanyo Service Centre, was told that you should only expect about 1000 hours anyway. See his recent thread here

This was backed up by Geoffc10 who was also told that the lamp counter resets after just 1000 hours. Now it might be a coincidence but why would the counter only go to 1000 hours if the bulb was likely to go to 2000 hours.

I have 4 questions for you all:
    1 - Who when buying their PLV 30 was under the belief that the PLV 30 did 2000 hours typical lamp?
    2 - Has anyone had a lamp go before 2000 hours and if so how many hours did your lamp complete?.
    3 - Who has neared 2000 hours?
    4 - Has anyone else been told to expect less than 2000 hours and if so by who?

I have seen the PLV 30 advertised with 2000 hour lamp life on several web sights this week. Have we been grossly mislead, or is it just a big misunderstanding?

Thanks in advance for your help on this one.

Crocodile JD

2. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Up for Monday morning. come on guys there must still be a few PLV 30's around!

Croc:clap:

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    .....hmmmmmm.......a bump no less.........

Not in the FS section now :D

4. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hi Kramer

Yeh sorry about that. Just felt it was quite important this one. But since it seems as though I'm the only PLV30 owner left now, judging by the response, I guess not.:D

Croc

5. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Crocodile,
    You are not the only one left, I just could not reply to the forum as my account was deleted!!! Thanks mr moderators or whoever :nono: :thumbsdow

Anyway I am back with my 2 posts now and more to come :devil:

1. Yes I believed it had a 2000 hour life, which in my calculations should have lasted me for a year.
    2. No the lights have come on at 400 for a lamp problem and at 2000 for a lamp replacement, it is still running perfectly no 4 months later....
    3. I have well passed the 2000 hours now, it is about 2600 now
    4. I was told by Sevenoaks and confirmed in the Internet searches that 2000 is the typical life before degradation kicks in....So that means to me that the life should be much longer in a perfectly dark room.....

I still think it is a GREAT projector especially as the UK has got very little widescreen telly on Sky. And besides on an 210cm screen even an anamorphic picture is still large enough to enjoy. And because the native resolution is 800x600 is can do a true PAL progressive unlike some of the cheaper 16:9 models.....

Cheers from a happy owner...

Jean-Paul

6. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only Admin can delete registrations/accounts & usually because of non-working e-mail addresses.

If you've a problem, I'd suggest you take it to forum feedback etc...& not wag the finger here.

:lesson:

7. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Heh dejongj welcome back

Good to here your feed back. I've left a reply on the other plv30 thread as well but got a question re something you said here as well
    How so?

Cheers

Croc

8. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well in order to produce a PAL picture it requires 768x576 which is within the parameters of the good old PLV-30. Some of the newer budget 16:9 models it is being compared too, including some of the budget plasma screens can't go above 480 horizontal lines. As such the projector itself is doing some scaling and thus adjusting the picture.
    With my PLV-30 it is quite amuzing to see as well how many mistakes the broadcasters make in aspect ratios as it does not scale the picture to fill the screen.
    The drawback that it has not a widescreen panel I do not find a problem when you consider that even with a widescreen projector you still have black-bands as there isn't just one widescreen format....

Cheers,

Jean-Paul

9. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    How can a 800x600 resolution pj do 'true PAL progressive'. A true PAL signal is 576 lines but an 800x600 pj in 16:9 mode is only using 800x450 pixels. A tad short of 576.

Please enlighten us :) (for information only for me as I am intrigued_

10. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought that the PAL standard was 768x576 which is within the 800x600 panel resolution.
    I do not use the 16:9 mode of the projector as that would be equal (in non technical terms) to switching off some pixels of the panel. A bit like with those video cameras that have an 16:9 mode without having an appropriate lens or CCD panel.
    Quite correct that when widescreen footage, and 16:9 is the least of the evils, it uses less of the available pixels. Which is the point I made indeed in my last paragraph.

This link explains the official resolutions

Please correct me if I am wrong in my assumptions Messiah ;-)

11. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +204
    I have always used the 16;9 mode on my PLV 30 because i thought i was getting extra resolution from anamorphic DVD's.

Am i wrong? am i missing something?

12. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    returning to the subject.......

I beleived the sanyo to be 2000 hours, though this was everywhere when i purchased so i did not seek official confirmation.

My hours must yet be well under 1000, probably 700 or 800 at most. As i have stated before, i will be distinctly annoyed if it dies anytime soon!

Ad

13. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for hijacking it buns ;-) Me and my silly extra remarks....

Looking at my experiences you should have plenty hours left in it. fingers crossed....

Anamorphic is a whole different story altogether compared to resolution or to be absolutely correct frame size. The frame size is (should) actually be the same. The difference is that it is shot using an anomorphic lens which purposely 'distortes' the image so a 'wider' image fits inside the official standards. A suitable device is then able to reproduce that image. The 'best' way is using again an anamorphic lens to reproduce that image. Alternatively there can be digital trickery applied to gain the same effect. The PLV30 does not have such a lens unless you put it in front. To be honest I do not entirely know the technical details on what the 16:9 mode is doing to the image. The fact is that it only has 800x600 pixels to recreate a frame.

Cheers,

Jean-Paul

PS. I bet people are sorry that I am back again ;-)

14. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hey Guys

It doesn't bother me to go off topic slightly so long as it's PLV 30 related. It's good to get some discussion on this unit again. we've been swamped lately by the "I love my Z1" and "Well I love my AE300 evan more" type threads lately.

Anyway good news dejongj about the fact that your PJ lamp is well in excess of the 2000 hours. It does seem to highlight a possible issue with warning lights comming on early tho.

Re: widescreen material anamorphic or any other, although technically I'm a dunce, from practical experience I know that you have to play it back in the correct aspect ratio regardless, otherwise the image is simply distorted to fit the screen. I have Rob Roy DVD and when I played it for the first time the other day, (In 16.9 mode as usual) the image was distorted. I hadn't realised that it was actaully a 4.3 disk. When I adjusted the setup to 4.3 it looked exactly the same as watching widescreen material. I.E black bands top and bottom filling exactly the same amount of screen. It might be as Ricky27 says (excuse my ignorance) in that the image was as a result of being 4.3, lower resolution but it looked no different to me.

You can scale the image both horizontally and vertically on the PLV30 via the VGA input. I've done this not via a PC but with a VGA equiped DVD player.

Croc

15. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Croc,

I find that most picture are distorted when using the 16:9 mode, except perhaps for anamorphic material.
    I leave mine constantly in 4:3 which shows up all sorts of borders at the top, bottom, left and right. Especially with the BBC news on Sky you can see that it is passing through the images without digital scaling. Great way of seeing the editing mistakes, at least they are in my opinion.
    Considering the experiences of the others I am starting to wonder wether I have touched something on my PLV-30 that allows this. Maybe it was when I was looking around the service menu....

Anyway I am still very happy with this projector as it provides superb quality.

Cheers,

Jean-Paul

16. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +204
    Glad your still happy with this PJ, i love it , it's just the fan noie that i find a bit too loud.

17. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +204
    one thing about the 16;9 mode, i thought the only way to get the extra resolution from anamorphic DVD's was to set the DVD ratio to 16;9, therefore if you then set the PJ to 16;9 you will then get a correct widescreen image and also see a slightly better picture.

18. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone have a conclusive answer to Ricks question?

Cheers,
    JP

19. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't see there being any difference to watching a DVD through a PJ than watching it through a TV. If it's a widescreen TV, you put it in 16.9 mode to get the extra resolution...IMO only BTW...

20. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    there are all sorts of manners of getting the full resolution, for instance you could use a 4:3 mode and an anamorphic lens..... but the method Rick says is how i do it

ad

21. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First of all, there is talk about extra resolution!!! There is no such thing as extra resolution, the DVD standards are quite clear about that.
    What is actually happening is that some display devices allow you to 'zoom' in on the picture which makes it look bigger but that is not the same as getting extra resolution. In fact it is actually using less of the frame size provided.
    Besides there are actually quite a few differences compared to how a picture is displayed on a television (CRT I presume) and a projector.
    I do tend to do this on the PLV-30 only with anamorphic DVD's, not with the other 'widescreen' formats....