1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

urgent all ellie owners..

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by charles, Jan 17, 2001.

1. charles

charles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Please read jon thompson`s comments(he wrote the review in hcc)re;-the ellie in the ht200 thread...very interesting,apparently he submitted an in depth review-which hcc cut-and awarded the ellie 5 stars which hcc marked down to 4 stars..(i`d like to know why?)
    I think the full review-with the 5 stars should be available for ellie fans!!

But certainly the criteria jon uses to review etc are exemplary,and i will certainly welcome other UNCUT reviews by him!

2. mjwhitehouse

mjwhitehouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jim from ScreensUK sent me a copy of the original article when it wasn't published in the correct month and it was certainly disappointing to see the finished article. I heard that as they had reviewed the Barco just before and given it 5 stars they didn't feel they could do the same to one that was £6000 less expensive. Of course I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time.

3. mjwhitehouse

mjwhitehouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By the way, an important question. I have a Toshiba 2190 which will only play in B&W with Region 1 through the Ellie as it does not output true NTSC. The other player I have to use is a Proline 1000 which is suprisingly good but lacks DTS. What players are people using with the Ellie as I want to get a better player but don't want to blow it?

4. charles

charles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    I`m using the sony 7700-which produces an excellent picture with the Ellie.

If the Ellie was marked down just because of the Barco receiving 5 stars,there`s something very wrong with the reviewing process.

The Ellie at 4k is surely better than at least 3 of the top 5 projectors in the hcc ratings section-so where is it?

The feeble excuse being touted for the Ellie being marked down is the vga issue-yet in Jon Thompson`s review he says the line doubler is worth 4k,he also says it would outlast the sony in a side by side.

So why no 5 stars?

5. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,408
    Hang on, charles, I speculated that perhaps the review was marked down for that reason. I have no idea why. Get your facts straight.

6. charles

charles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Fine,but why was it marked down then?...we are owed an explanation if hcc wants to retain its credibility for future reviews-Jon Thompson-who wrote the review says (1)the review was chopped and (2)He awarded it 5 stars..if he is the expert-and this is his view based on careful analysis...who marked it down..and why???

7. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,408
    No idea, m8.
    But what little I do know about producing a magazine is that pretty much all the material submitted by reviewers and other contributors is edited by an editor to some degree.
    There is usually more than one editor (i.e editor and assistant editor etc).
    The 'editor', I know, might correct grammatical, factual or puntuality errors.
    I think it's the editor's job to compile all the information to produce the final product. It's their responsibility and their job and it's not easy.
    I'm not sure, here, but I don't know (do you know?) who decides what scores the products get. If the reviewer suggests a score but the editor makes the final decision based on the information in the review and their experience from, perhaps, a greater perspective, then this might explain the changes.
    Again, to make it clear, I'm speculating with the intention of trying to encourage you to think about it.
    You're biassed. You have an Ellie. Try and see an unbiassed point of view.

8. Ken

Ken
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I also saw the origional review when I viewed the Ellie, with which | was most impressed. The point here is that the reviewer examined the Ellie, and the editor has probably never even seen one. Is this a good basis for awarding, or more to the point removing merit.

9. charles

charles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Spectre,
    I am looking at it from an unbiased view-it doesn`t matter what product it is,why could or should the editor tamper with stars awarded for merit by the technicaly proficient person employed to evaluate and award the stars in the first place?
    This issue casts doubt on the whole hcc review process!..Why not let the editor write future reviews then?

Have hcc become that powerful,that they have no sense of responsability to answer genuine issues, rsiased by the people that bought the mags and made them sucessful?

You state;- i dont know.that aint good enough...i suggest you find out...
    I believe an explanation is in order..

10. mjwhitehouse

mjwhitehouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To put nail my colours to the mast, I am a very happy Ellie owner. Having said that, there is obviously a need in any marking scheme to have someone who takes the macro perspective and not the micro. That is the job of an editor, to look at all of the reviews and to correctly moderate the individual ones to ensure that they are all scored in the same way. An unenviable task and one with much subjectivity but it does attempt to smooth out the peaks and troughs. Anyone who has annual appraisal reports at work will know that after their boss there is another reporting officer who looks at all of the reports together and then applies a moderating factor. I assume this is what the editor was trying to do. The only way to satisfy everybody would be to do a group test, side by side as they have done in the latest issue for DLP projectors. IMHO they got it wrong with the Ellie but hey! ain't democracy brilliant.

11. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,408
    Oh so you KNOW for a fact that the reviewers are employed to award stars, then do you? Well you know more than me, then.
    I'm just the forum moderator, I don't owe you a damn thing, pal.
    mjwhitehouse seems to have taken onboard the point I was trying to get across. I think trying to discuss this with charles is a waste of time.
    As far as I'm concerned, the discussion is closed.

[This message has been edited by Spectre (edited 21-01-2001).]

12. charles

charles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    First Spectre.no need to swear(..remember who the customers are..)..second,i was not implying that you owed the ellie fans an answer-as clearly you dont know,but certainly,someone in hcc should clarify what has happened re;-this review.

13. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "How to win friends and influence people" - interesting book, you should get a copy Charles.
    Your motto in life wouldn`t happen to be "love me or hate me, but don`t ignore me" would it?

Anyway, why does it matter so much that everyone agrees with you ?.You just come across as the "pub bore" who knows everything about everything, which is a shame , because sometimes you make some interesting points.

signed
    The "Black Knight"
    (tee hee)

14. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Perhaps someone who has read the original, unedited review, can post the star ratings for the projector in each category.

From the published review I would be surprised if it recieved 5 stars for each and if it didn't then how could it get an overall 5 stars?

Just a thought.

Gordon

15. charles

charles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Tiberious,
    What are you on about?...why do i come across like i know everything about everything?..i`m discussing why a product was marked down without any reason-i think thats a valid point when many people put their stock in the integrity of the hcc reviews....`i might be a pub bore to you-because its something your not interested in-but that applies when anyone is talking about anything that others are not interested in....
    I don`t think this gives you the right to insult me-or to judge me...

You say its a shame-because i make some interesting points...so i`m a bore or i`m not a bore-you don`t seem to know...

Maybe i`m more charitable than you are-as i believe it takes all sorts...but i certainly dont jump into conversations with an insult of the bat like you have....

16. ptmbradley

ptmbradley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well after your recent rant in another thread I don't think we can really believe that!!

[This message has been edited by ptmbradley (edited 23-01-2001).]

17. charles

charles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Ptm bradley,
    There is a difference between expressing a view and a rant-as you put it.I am passionate about what i believe in-as i guess you are-if you dont accept or believe that-fine-i don`t really give a monkeys..
    But maybe you should remember-like Tiberious,that we all have different views-it should never be taken personally-and i certainly don`t take differing views personally-but i guess we`re not all the same are we?....

but rather than attempt to judge me,what about discussing the point in hand and leaving the judging to the almighty...lol...