Urgent advice-Yamaha RX-A3080 vs Marantz SR7015

Animalfreeride

Standard Member
Hi all,

I'm popping into Richer Sounds tomorrow to purchase a new Sony VPL-VW270ES projector along with a Sony UBPX800M2 UHD player.

I'm essentially upgrading my existing set up but am also looking to replace my Pioneer SC-LX87 AV receiver which is getting a bit dated now.

I have narrowed down the choices between a Yamaha RX-A3080 and a Marantz SR7015. Both are about the same price although Yamaha is heavily discounted in a rival store (Sevenoaks) but is essentially discontinued. I know if I buy all three items in Richer Sounds (i.e. Projector, UHD player and the Marantz SR7015) I'll get a decent deal. However I want to ensure I get the best sound experience. I am fortunate enough to have a dedicated theatre room albeit it is not a particularly large room and is primarily used for gaming and occasional movie use.

Your opinions will be greatly appreciated 🙂

Russ_64

I would recommend the SR7015, I have the SR7013 that it replaces and it is a very good AVR.

Advantages of the Marantz are that it is a current (and somewhat future proof) model and it has Audyssey RoomEQ that is far better than Yamaha's.

Animalfreeride

Standard Member
Thanks Russ. The Pioneer has a monster output with a deep bass. It sounds absolutely awesome but lacks new features (i.e. Dolby Atmos) hence why I'm upgrading. I think the Marantz is my likely choice and hope it lives up to my expectations and the sound experience surpasses the Pioneer.

Animalfreeride

Standard Member
Just been to Richer Sounds Plymouth who sorted me with a fantastic deal (as always). I bought the Marantz SR7015 and upgraded the UHD player to the Sony UBP-X1100ES rather than compromise with the cheaper Sony player. I now have to wait patiently! 🙂

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
Yamaha likely to be more reliable.
Marantz has better pre out voltage, higher amplifier output, and better room EQ

Hoku

Having owned a Pioneer AVR in the past, and loved its sound signature, I’d be interested to know how you find the Marantz in comparison.

Also, just being nosey, what speakers are you pairing it with?

Russ_64

Did you also get the Sony Projector with PS4 Pro bundle? That little order must have made the store's profit target for the week :)

Animalfreeride

Standard Member
Having owned a Pioneer AVR in the past, and loved its sound signature, I’d be interested to know how you find the Marantz in comparison.

Also, just being nosey, what speakers are you pairing it with?

I have Monitor Bronze speakers. Not the best on the market by any means but sounded amazing with my previous AV receiver (Pioneer LX87).

Animalfreeride

Standard Member
Russ, I missed out on the PS4 offer but as I have a high end PC gaming rig, I was going to sell it to a close friend in any event. Richer Sounds were really helpful as they gave me the same discount I was going to get for selling the PS4 and more, so really pleased. Looking forward to playing Microsoft Flight Simulator and DCS World in 4K 🙂

Hoku

I have Monitor Bronze speakers. Not the best on the market by any means but sounded amazing with my previous AV receiver (Pioneer LX87).

well it’ll be interesting to see how their flavour changes, or doesn’t, with the Marantz driving them. Let us know when you’ve had time to get it set up to your liking.

It takes a while to get to know a new AVR and how to get the best from it, so once you’ve had time to set up, tweak and re-tweak, a mini review would be nice.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom