1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Urgent advice please on Denon or Panny with Pioneer 435XDE

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by SimonBut, Feb 23, 2005.

1. SimonBut

SimonBut
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi ,

After 3months reading on this great forum :thumbsup: , I'm left with a question ?

I'm set on the Pio 435XDE with KEF 2005.2 - seen it, heard them and loved it :smashin: .

But my dilemma is :

Do I go for the cheaper option of :

Panasonic S97 DVD player and SA-XR70 receiver ( both HDMI capable)

or the nominally higher quality Denon AVR 2805 with the Denon 2910??

I haven't been able to trial any of them so am looking for some feedback from anyone who has seen them in action?? Will the Denon combination ( but higher price) be worth the expense over the seemingly great value Panny combo???

Also, what difference does it make that the Panny's are HDMI while the Denon's are not??? My brain is aching :lease:

Any advice ??

Thanks

Simon

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    There is nothing nominal about the quality difference, and it doesn't matter at all that the Denon amp has no HDMI, you have only 1 on the Pansonic, making it useless for switching HDMI when you get your sky HD, so you can connect the denon DVD straight to HDMI on the screen, and make a separate digital audio connection to the amp. The only mild drawback is with DVD-A and SACD, you need to make more connections for them from DVD to amp. This is more than compensated for by the hugely capable sound from the denon amp, and it's wealth of useful features, like global audio delay for sky lip sync issues.

3. SimonBut

SimonBut
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that MAW. I've read your many posts here so treat your opinion with great respect :clap:

So going the Denon route is a quality no-brainer??

My plan is to buy the 10m Pioneer extension cable, channeling that ( plus power ) to the plasma through the wall, but connecting other sources - PS2, DVD and Sky ( Sky HD eventually) to the media receiver with sound through the amp.

Am I misguided in thinking this is the obvious way to make the connections??

Thanks

Simon

4. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Simon,

You've misunderstood what MAW is saying - get the Denon units.

5. SimonBut

SimonBut
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Piers - I will!!!

Any thoughts on my connection plan? Am I misguided? :eek:

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    no connection to the Media box is ideal and can and video switching via AMP if neede....

7. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    I think you have the right idea, but I am struggling to get my head around the layout of your room. As you are going for a 10m lead to the plasma presumably you have got the Sky box, DVD etc at the other end / side of the room??

8. SimonBut

SimonBut
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Piers - you're exactly right. I'm mounting the plasma above the fireplace and need to have DVD & other sources approx 6m away from it.

Do the connections from the media box to the screen carry the signal of all sources? I@m thinking that if I then make audi connections from the sources into the amp, I get all angles covered??

Simon

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    BTW if you need 6m cable, measure carefully, get a Sharp 7m cable and buy decent interconnects with the change, it's 1/2 the price of a pioneer 10m. Horny, that's the most confusing and least informative post you've ever made, you've either fut out your fire in the traditional manner, or is it more trouble with the virgins?
    Simon, you will need to connect Sky to RGB scart 1, PS2 to component 2 with a kit, and Denon DVD, likely at 720p, on HDMI input 3. All with digital audio to the amp. All sources go in with the media box, and link carries all to the screen.

10. ap69

ap69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Simon
    I haven't seen the Denon DVD player in action, but certainly the Pannie S97 doesn't live up to my (HDMI) expectations with my new 435XDE. Cerainly I think the PQ should be higher.
    Would caution against mounting the screen above the fireplace - mine is centred about 6" above eye level when sitting down, and this seems just right. Above a fireplace will just give you a bad neck!

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    there are other options other than the Pio 10m lead..... the media box cable is a DVi-D>DVi-D and MDR cable, Wireworld and possibly Bettercables make alternatives, proably more money but save 4m of possibly wasted cable.
    these 2 cables carry every signal to screen from the media box (dont forget power for the screen!)

12. SimonBut

SimonBut
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to all for your replies.

As far as cable length goes, I have a couple of drops to allow for as well but will definitely measure to see if I can get away with a 7m HDMI cable.

My main concern is that I derive the main benefit ( in my mind) of the Pio 435XDE - the hi-res DVD picture.

Will I still get that if I connect the Denon into the media box via an HDMI cable??

13. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    It's the only place you can connect it, and this is why the XDE is excellent on digital sources, and less than excellent on all others. The wretched media box, which at first seems a blessing, is in fact a major hindrance.