1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Urgent advice on USA XBox

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Lex, May 4, 2003.

1. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi all,

I am staying out in the USA for a couple of months or so and am seriously considering buying an xbox out here... but I have questions about how useful it will be to bring back to the uk...

How easy/expensive is it to buy US games from the UK?

Can I use UK accessories on it, ie controllers, leads, memory cards etc...

Will the UK 'Region X' allow me to watch multi-region dvds on a US xbox or will I need to buy a US version?

Finally... any experience of taking one through customs? How do they react?

Thanks. Help/advice really appreciated!! :clap: :smashin: :hiya:

2. Idonex

Idonex
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can use US accessories fine. Currently, if you want to play PAL games on it or turn it into a multiregion DVD player then you'll have to get it chipped.

As for Region X, it depends if they release it as a multiregion disc like Freeloader. If they do then you wont have any problems, if they dont then you'll need your US box chipped to play PAL games. That is if they ever release Region X, it's been 'coming out soon' since the Xbox was released :D

Customs probably wont even notice. I've never been stopped by customs, and when i came back from Japan a few weeks ago i had £800 of stuff in my hand luggage lol.

3. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I stayed in the US for a couple of months in Jan 2002 and bought an XBox while I was there. The week before I was due to come home the British 'Shoe Bomber' was arrested, so when I got to SFO there were soldiers backing up the customs guys, fully armed with M16's.

Needless to say they stopped me (single British guys travelling alone), searched through all my baggage etc, and all they had to say upon seeing my laptop, XBox and GBA was "You've got a lot of toys". They made me switch on the laptop and GBA to prove they weren't packed with C4, but didn't seem too fussed with the XBox, which could pack more explosive than the everything else combined! :D

Anyway, just make sure you ditch all the packaging and receipts. It's not as if you can return it when you get home anyway, but then if customs ask just say you took it with you as you have been in the States for a month.

4. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Probably figured a bomb built on a Microsoft platform had no chance of working at the right time...

My friend bought me a US xbox through customs, he had no problems. He had it bundled up in a rucksack, as hand luggage.

Can't comment on sourcing games, but the UK controllers and leads all work, as does Xbox Live.

Just remember you need a £40 transformer to use it (a lot more power hungry than a PS2 !)

5. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks a lot guys...

I think I am gonna go for it... a year or so ago I wouldn't have hesitated as the prices out here were so much lower, but now there is less difference...

I am gonna get an xbox bundle with the new 'S' controller, Jet Set Radio Future, Munch's Oddysee & Sega GT2002 for $199 Not bad, but it is just typical that MS have decided to release a ltd edition green version in europe only now that I am in the states!!! :rolleyes: :mad: :D

Thanks again guys! :smashin: