1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

URGENT - Advice Needed - Coax Digital Audio lead. what/where ?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Tempest, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,305
    I'm in very urgent need of some advice here....

Mainly as I've been decorating my room and I now can't move furniture back into place until I have my audio coax lead fitted.

Here's what I have got:

PC with a "Creative Labs Soundblaster Live 1024" sound card
    (this has a small yellow jack socket plug on the back)

To connect to:

The Coax Digital in of a "Videologic Digitheatre DTS" surround speaker system.

I have no idea whatsoever about coax cables for this kind of connection. The only Coax cable i know about is the white stuff you connect your TV to your arial with.

As I said the SB Live 1024 has a small jack plug connection (output) wheras the Videologic sound system has (I think you call it) a RCA phono socket on the back for the input.

Can anyone give me a begginers explanation for joining the two together.

About 8 metres would be enough

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I think it is a 3.5mm Jack on the card (same as walkman head phones) and RCA phono is a sheilded single pin connector a lead will be available from your local PC bits shop but probably not 8m if you find out what terminations you need then there are companies that will make one for you, Scorpion (maybe) lektropacks (for sure) Mark grant (see power buys)

3. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,305
    Yeah, it's walkman size, but not sure how many seperate physical bit's it''s made from (if you know what I mean)

Logic tells me the digital connector jack plug on the back of a SB Live 1024 card should only need 2 connections, but I think it's got 3 bits of metal that make the plug up and without taking the socket apart it's impossible to know.

What I don't get is, there must be loads of people using these cards. I mean the old SBLive cards are so standard are they not ?

Does anyone know if this sound card will actually ouput a Dolby Digital DTS signal to my videologic speaker system ?

But mainly I need a lead.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    some earlier ones only did digital stereo, sorry cant comment on the card but a mate of mine has a very similar card if not the same look him up his username is darth_sidious I think

5. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,305
    Just found this..............
    Comments ?

Ok, So, say the below is correct.
    Just WHAT the hell is a coax cable in the first place ?

I'm thinking it's some special coax (modern type) of cable, but are we just calling an old fasioned RCA to RCA lead (they type you used to plug your casette deck to your amp with) but just one of them (not the two you used to use for left and right chanels)

Are we now calling this old bog standard type of cable COAX ?

If so, can I get some nice well shielded RCA to RCA lead from somewhere about 8 metres (or so)

I had a l-o-n-g one from tandy many years ago but that was a bit hissy.

And I guess I should say one this on the hiss comment.
    It was carrying a analogue signal, hence it introduced hiss. Buit here we are carrying digital 0's and 1's down the wire, so would hiss actually matter in the first place.

Sorry for the barrage of questions!

The article is below:

========================================
    18. I have a Sound Blaster Live MP3+, X-Gamer, or Player 1024. Do I have to get Creative's Digital Output Module or LiveDrive to get a COAX SPDIF out? - Top

No. All you need to do to get SPDIF COAX out on one of those cards is an inexpensive mono mini-jack (1/8 inch) to RCA adapter jack. Just plug it into your digital our on the Live card and connect to your desired COAX in.

One thing to keep in mind is this outputs 5.0 volts DC. However, we have heard from several reliable industry contacts, including Creative Labs, that there is no risk to your equipment despite the fact that the SPDIF out COAX spec calls for 0.5 volts DC. We have successfully used this configuration with several Dolby Digital decoders but its something you should still be aware of.

On the other hand, if you want addtional connectivity and/or want to connect to a COAX and the DIN of the FPS2000 or DTT2500 at the same time you will need one of Creative's more full featured solutions like the LiveDrive I or II, Digital I/O card 2 or Digital Output Module. You can also consider Digital I/O products designed by Hoontech for use with the Live.
    - Updated: April 15, 2000
    ===========================================

6. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hope this helps:-

Coaxial cable is a specific type of cable design with two conductors, one of which runs through the centre of the cable surrounded by some form of non-conductive insulator, with a second braided conductor wrapped around the insulation material and serving double-duty as a shield against interference. Coax cables are commonly used with video and digital audio signals, as well as for standard ("the white stuff you connect your TV to your arial with") and satellite/cable television systems, the latter using F-connectors. Variations of coax cables are used with RCA connectors for both video and digital signals between digital sources and DACs. These cables are also used with S-video connectors for video signals.

AFAIK you have 3 alternatives:-

1/ Use a 3.5mm minijack/RCA adapter (from eg Maplin) on a standard RCA->RCA cable of suitable length and quality, which you can buy from any number of audio shops/online;

2/ Get a minijack->RCA cable made up for you (from eg Sigma);

3/ Build your own inter-connect. Something like RG59 cable, available from Maplin or RS Components, would probably be perfectly OK. They can also supply the 3.5mm minijack and RCA connectors. Just solder them onto the cable.

7. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,305
    Cheers mephistopheles for that excellent bit of info (the clouds have cleared !!!)

What's puzzling me is the following
    (and perhaps someone here may know)

It's the yellow spdif mini jack socket on the back of my SB Live 1024 sound card.

Now, these coax cables are just 2 wires. A central one and an outer braided one.
    The RCA plug is of course a 2 connector piece of metal (centre pin and outser sleeve)

But (and here's the puzzle) Creative say you should use a mini STEREO jack plug in the back of the sound card....

eh ? That's 3 connections.

If you look at a stereo (walkman plug) you have the metal tip, a narrow metal centre ring and the rear metal ring.

Which I assume are right, left and combined ground.

What I don't know is which of these 3 parts of a stereo jack plug are being used for which of the 2 wires you'd need to connect.

God knows why they are using a stereo plug/connector.

Can anyone shed some light onto this one please ?

Thanks

8. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The SB Live! Player 1024 has a digital out in the form of a yellow 3.5mm stereo minijack connector, the left channel of which carries the AC3 stream; the right channel carries no signal. (Always said Creative was pants). You will, accordingly, need to connect to the left channel only of a stereo minijack.

I found a further alternative for you here : http://www.hoontech.com/english/products/sbdb3.html

This would enable you to use a standard RCA->RCA cable. I don't know about availability or cost, but no doubt the info is available from the site.

9. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,305
    Many thanks for all your help and advice.
    Have today ordered (from lektropacks) a custom made (top of the range) Pro RCA to RCA cable 10m long for about £32 which seems resonable for the best quality one they do.
    Together with a gold Stereo mini jack to twin RCA plug (I shall plug the PCA into just one side of this adaptor)

Phew.. got there in the end.....