Upward firing speakers for Dolby Atmos

Dr.Rock

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm currently looking for a new AV amp to replace my current that's decided to fail after 10+ years of service, and looking at something that's has the new Dolby Atmos and DTS-X sound formats. I have questions regarding the upward firing speakers for the Atmos effects, such as the ones that Onkyo released for sitting on top of the front main speakers, as I noticed there are people on this forum who are already using them.

How successful are they in creating the overhead effects, compared to ceiling speakers?

Since they are positioned on top of the fronts, from my listening position will I still hear their sound coming from the front where they originate (as that's where they're positioned) as well as from above, or will I hear their sound as if it's coming only from above?

Is there a lot of trial and error to get the upward sound hitting the correct spot in the ceiling so it bounces down accurately to the listening position?

Should the ceiling be made of any recommended surface to ensure the sound reflects from it, rather absorbing the sound? Any materials I should avoid having the ceiling lined with?

Also, I'll likely go for a 5.1.2 setup as an upgrade from my existing 5.1. Since our sofa is pushed to the rear wall like most living rooms, the surround speakers are therefore up against the ceiling on this rear wall, to give more comfortable, distant and balanced effect than having them closer down towards the listening position (where they'll otherwise sound too loud for the people sitting at the sides of the sofa). Will this up-to-the-ceiling positioning of the rear speakers interfere with the Atmos overhead sound and create the wrong effect? We can't place the speakers at ear level and far behind the sofa since the sofa is against the rear wall.

Thanks.

Hi there!
The first thing that i'll say is to go and get a demo of a few of the new atmos dtsX U3D etc , but having saying that quite a few members have gone with either the Denon x5200 / x7200!! Or if you want more and go down a different route and use a power amp on a larger budget then there's the Marantz AV8802 pre/pro 11.2.

Hi Dr Rock. A flat standard ceiling is fine for the on speaker Atmos modules. Nothing will beat on wall or or ceiling though.

If you'd like to hear an Atmos receiver do its magic its best to go demo. You aren't far from me I'm guessing. Feel free to send across a pm if you'd like to hear some Atmos material. The Xtz Cinema series S2's will be a good option. They work just as well on wall/ceiling as on top of the L and R speakers

Hi,

I'm currently looking for a new AV amp to replace my current that's decided to fail after 10+ years of service, and looking at something that's has the new Dolby Atmos and DTS-X sound formats. I have questions regarding the upward firing speakers for the Atmos effects, such as the ones that Onkyo released for sitting on top of the front main speakers, as I noticed there are people on this forum who are already using them.

How successful are they in creating the overhead effects, compared to ceiling speakers?

Since they are positioned on top of the fronts, from my listening position will I still hear their sound coming from the front where they originate (as that's where they're positioned) as well as from above, or will I hear their sound as if it's coming only from above?

Is there a lot of trial and error to get the upward sound hitting the correct spot in the ceiling so it bounces down accurately to the listening position?

Should the ceiling be made of any recommended surface to ensure the sound reflects from it, rather absorbing the sound? Any materials I should avoid having the ceiling lined with?

Also, I'll likely go for a 5.1.2 setup as an upgrade from my existing 5.1. Since our sofa is pushed to the rear wall like most living rooms, the surround speakers are therefore up against the ceiling on this rear wall, to give more comfortable, distant and balanced effect than having them closer down towards the listening position (where they'll otherwise sound too loud for the people sitting at the sides of the sofa). Will this up-to-the-ceiling positioning of the rear speakers interfere with the Atmos overhead sound and create the wrong effect? We can't place the speakers at ear level and far behind the sofa since the sofa is against the rear wall.

Thanks.
Hi I'm using the Kef R50's in my room in a 7.2.4 configure as regard to the diffrence you get from ceiling and upfiring I would say you get more of a diffuse sound from the upfiring speakers and with the in ceiling the sound is more noticeable. But the sound from the upfiring speakers still gives you the sound from above effect I had the onkyo upfiring speakers first but moved onto the Kef's which have a far better sound,hope I have been of any help but to you if you were in the Birmingham area I would gladly give you a demo
Simon
ImageUploadedByAVForums1433057145.580157.jpg
ImageUploadedByAVForums1433057198.279911.jpg

We have been using the upfiring Atlantic Technology speakers (44DA) seen here along with inceiling speakers in our demo room for some months. Both have their pros and cons, but the upfiring speakers can be just as effective, and some people prefer the sound.

As you are positioning the speakers at the front, the sound will come from high and to the front, whereas your surround speakers are going to be from the rear, so are unlikely to interfere with each other (although the ideal would to have them lower down as you are aware).

Like you Say. Do not put too much absorption on the ceiling surface as the sound will not bounce effectively.

Last edited:
Hi,

At £600, the KEF and AT speakers mentioned here are quite out of my budget range! I was more looking at Onkyo SKH410 (approx. £130 / pair) or something not too much more expensive than that. Can anyone comment on how well these Onkyo's create the Atmos effect?

Also, what materials/paint/surfacing/etc should I avoid on the ceiling to prevent sound absorption that'll otherwise stop the sound from reflecting from the ceiling? Or better still, what would promote sound reflection?

Thanks.

Hi,

At £600, the KEF and AT speakers mentioned here are quite out of my budget range! I was more looking at Onkyo SKH410 (approx. £130 / pair) or something not too much more expensive than that. Can anyone comment on how well these Onkyo's create the Atmos effect?

Also, what materials/paint/surfacing/etc should I avoid on the ceiling to prevent sound absorption that'll otherwise stop the sound from reflecting from the ceiling? Or better still, what would promote sound reflection?

Thanks.
Yeh the onkyo's are fine I used them to get started with Atmos they work well as for ceilings my ceiling is artexed and works fine
Hope this helps

In my opinion, do it properly or don't do it at all! I'm seeing people butchering systems with low quality speakers just to try and emulate Atmos. My advice is to get the basic 5.1/7.1 up to scratch first and foremost - adding more speakers to a mediocre system isn't going to make any improvement to the system itself. What will make a difference to a system is better quality processing, better quality speakers, more capable subwoofer.

Much of the time, rear and side speakers mounted a few feet above head height will produce decent enough overhead effects, just as my 5.2 system does.

With the upfiring speakers such as the Onkyos, do any of the sound go through the ceiling (which would likely wake up our littlen sleeping in the room above), or does all the sound reflect down from the ceiling rather than going through it?

You could try a test. Put your system on with a particular scene, pop upstairs and see how it sounds. Then place your front speakers on their backs facing upwards and try the same thing. A crude test granted, but it'll give you an idea of how it will affect the room above. The issue will likely be more in the midrange frequencies.

With the upfiring speakers such as the Onkyos, do any of the sound go through the ceiling (which would likely wake up our littlen sleeping in the room above), or does all the sound reflect down from the ceiling rather than going through it?
No I've had no sound leakage to upstairs rooms from the KEF R50's the sound just bounces off the ceiling and down to the listening area

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom